New member - '00 DHS Repair Questions...
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac DeVille 1985 to 2005 including:
1985-1992 Fleetwood, 1993 Sixty Special, All FWD Forum Discussion, New member - '00 DHS Repair Questions... in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Hey all as the title states, I am new to the forum and Cadillac's as this is my first one. ...
    TopsDrop is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): '00 Cadillac DHS

New member - '00 DHS Repair Questions...

Hey all as the title states, I am new to the forum and Cadillac's as this is my first one. Got a decent deal on it and should have known there were going to be problems, but everything looked/felt great when I bought it 3 months ago.

Long story short, took it in for an oil change and alignment and also had an inspection done immediately after purchase. Apparently everything was good at that time. Well ~3500 miles later I take it in for oil change at same shop, now they tell me my rear shocks are leaking/blown and 3 of my wheel bearings (one front, 2 rear) are either shot or nearly shot; however, I notice no noises/shaking/sagging/bouncy ride I assume I should notice?

Shops quotes to fix were absolutely comical. So I almost wonder if they are making it up?

I also have a small oil leak and PO apparently rigged some aluminum to direct the oil off the block so it wouldn't burn, which I was able to see when they had it on lift. Not sure how this was missed during initial inspection? Shop tells me most likely all gaskets need to be replaced which I don't doubt.

Car seemed great when purchased other than higher mileage (139,000), doesn't overheat, clean history, clean body/underbody, I'm the 3rd owner. Seems I have 2 options sell the car at a significant loss, or fix all this stuff as a summer project for the same money I'd eat selling it.

Need help on where to source parts? (i.e. bearings, gaskets)
    Does this car require special rear shock assembly? What do you guys recommend on a budget?
    How much of a pain is it to drop this engine? Lot bigger that my Honda's in the past
    Car is a 3rd vehicle and only purchased for long trips, so I may just sell it. What's a fair asking price with mentioned problems?

Everything else with the car is wonderful

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

rodnok01 is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 98 DeVille, 97 DeVille d'Elegance

Re: New member - '00 DHS Repair Questions...

Oil change places know squat...
    If it ain't shaking, pulling, wearing tires out or vibrating going down the road leave it be.
    As for oil leak, where exactly is it coming from? If it ain't using oil and drips a little let it be, there are a couple places they leak up front that are easy and cheap fixes. Oil pressure sender and oil filter adapter O Rings leak all the time. Don't be discouraged by what they said, get another opinion from a reliable shop would be a good idea. The shop you took it to probably saw fresh meat and were looking to cash in.

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

I'd definitely get a second opinion.

If in fact you do need new rear shocks do a search for Monroe MA822's. They are a direct fit. I just replaced mine for $52 (shipped).

Dropping the drivetrain is a LOT of work. I'd add a qt of oil now and then before attempting that.

thenaaks is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 04 deville
    The wheel bearings could be bad. My 04 rode fine, but when I had it jacked up to rotate the tires, there was considerable play in the hub. Replaced all 4 corners. Easiest assemblies I've ever removed and replaced.

blalockchiro is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1997 Deville, 89 Camaro, 07 Silverado

well welcome....try rockauto.com or rippy's, if it gets too big in expense, you may want to consider dumping it

amunderdog is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1994 SLS x 2 ---- 1993 Eldorado Sport ----- 1994 Deville 4.9

Quote Originally Posted by thenaaks View Post
    The wheel bearings could be bad. My 04 rode fine, but when I had it jacked up to rotate the tires, there was considerable play in the hub. Replaced all 4 corners. Easiest assemblies I've ever removed and replaced.
    True but i have been running into failed knuckle bushings here.
    I read up on them and found they supposdidly had a short life expectancy.
    So when you find play in a rear tire - pull the tire - inspect the knuckle bushings

TopsDrop is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): '00 Cadillac DHS

Thanks for the replies guys. It's not leaking a lot of oil... Maybe an extra quart per 3000 miles, seems to be more on longer road trips, but I can live with it as is, just need to keep an eye on the oil level. I'm guessing they thought I knew nothing about cars. I do, just not familiar with this one yet.

Car rides smooth as can be, however the front left tire seems to lose air faster than the others, which had me slightly concerned. Not sure if it is suspension related or tire related, tires have good tread, but idk how old they are. Sidewalls look okay. Again not noticing any squeaks etc.

May just drive it until something expensive does fail. Like I said I got it for decent price and it is a 3rd car. Body and chassis are unbelievably clean for Wisconsin.

Thanks again for the responses, will continue to research these monsters. lol

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Quote Originally Posted by TopsDrop View Post
    Car rides smooth as can be, however the front left tire seems to lose air faster than the others, which had me slightly concerned. Not sure if it is suspension related or tire related, tires have good tread, but idk how old they are. Sidewalls look okay. Again not noticing any squeaks etc.
    Your wheels have corrosion on the rim bead. Since the tires have a good tread and will not be being replaced soon take it to a tire store. Have them pull the wheel (or all 4 if you choose) and wire brush the corrosion off the bead. They will then apply a sealer and reinstall and balance the tire. I just went through this when I replaced mine last month. They where terrible. It's just the nature of the beast with aluminum wheels.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.