1996 deville 4.6 need help
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac DeVille 1985 to 2005 including:
1985-1992 Fleetwood, 1993 Sixty Special, All FWD Forum Discussion, 1996 deville 4.6 need help in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I hope someone can help me. Ive been trying to fix my moms car for the last couple of weeks ...
    nmig17 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1996 deville

1996 deville 4.6 need help

I hope someone can help me. Ive been trying to fix my moms car for the last couple of weeks now and ive come up with nothing. At first the car would get up to operating temp, fans would kick on like they should amd then it would just die. Then id have to wait for it to cool down before it start again. Since then I have changed both cps's, oil sending sensor, temp sensor on back of the head, crossover gaskets(that was due to me forgetting to plug the fans back in) , and finally the ignition switch. The only one that made any kind of difference was the ignition switch. At first it was idling better and would only die when put into gear. Within an hour i was driving it around. Now its kinda doing the same thing except instead of dying out right. The rpms drop really low and when I open the throttle it makes no difference and it jus falls out. I did change the fuel regulator too. I can hear the pump running even after it dies. Im getting zero codes. Not sure if it has to do with my display crapping out or not. Please any help I dont know what else to do.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

CadillacLuke24 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Alexandra - 96 SDV

Re: 1996 deville 4.6 need help

IF it's dying you have an ignition or fuel related problem. If the display is dying go to a local parts store and borrow their code reader.

THe fuel pump may be on, but that doesn't guarantee it's on its way out the door. There should be a schraeder valve (like a bike tire) on the fuel rail, hook up a gauge and tell us what you get.

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Start with a good TB cleaning (probably needs it anyway). If that doesn't help, check your fuel pressure.

nmig17 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1996 deville

Ok heres my update. I think im more lost than I was before. So I borrowed my dads codereader and within a 24 hour period tye battery flat lined. Nothing was left on by me it just died. So needless to say my codes were erased. No big deal. I charged the battery up and this morning I finally was able to crank it up. It was running a little rough but after a min or two she smoothed on out. Then I noticed my display was working again. Dont know how but it was. So I let it warm up, fans kicked on, and everything seemed fine. I took it out for a spin. I went down the road about 1/4mile and came back. As I was turning in the diplay died out. But the car has yet to give me a problem. No check engine light. No hickups. Simply nothing. I drove it for about 20 mins in every which kinda way trying to get the problem to come out and it ran as smooth as could be. Im completely dumbfounded now.

VEGASELDO91 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1991 ELDORADO (R.I.P.); 1995 Sedan Deville

Have you done a complete charging system check?

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Might also check the grounds.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.