Head gasket leak. Studding half an engine?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Cadillac DeVille 1985 to 2005 including:
1985-1992 Fleetwood, 1993 Sixty Special, All FWD Forum Discussion, Head gasket leak. Studding half an engine? in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I have a head gasket leak in my 2000 Deville. Exhaust gases in the coolant. A bore scope shows the ...
    sbergerson is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2000 Deville

Head gasket leak. Studding half an engine?

I have a head gasket leak in my 2000 Deville. Exhaust gases in the coolant. A bore scope shows the coolant leaking into one of my front cylinders. In the morning, I also have a miss on that cylinder until the coolant burns off.

Anyway, I need some advice. I want to put studs in the block to fix the problem, but I don't want to take the time to remove the motor, etc... Can I stud the front bank only while the engine is still in the car? I don't have any issues with the rear head at this time.

Thanks in advance for your input.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, stick on fender vents
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Re: Head gasket leak. Studding half an engine?

It might work - for a day or a year. The best all-around approach is to do the entire job at the same time with the same parts, studs, sealants, tools, work process. I personally would NOT recommend doing the job halfway.

A large consideration is that the stud job places a different torque loading on the heads and cylinder block than the original bolt sequence - a halfway job would stand the very real chance of warping the head(s) and/or block. A terminal fault.

amunderdog is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1994 SLS x 2 ---- 1993 Eldorado Sport ----- 1994 Deville 4.9

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Quote Originally Posted by sbergerson View Post
    Can I stud the front bank only while the engine is still in the car?
    Yes. Not advisable, but can be done.

Food for thought.
    If the rear bank goes next month/year, are you going to repair it or walk away from it and the money spent on the front bank? AND, if that happens and you elect to repair it, the cost will probably be pretty near what it would have cost to do both now (assuming you are paying for labor). Just another something to think about in making your decision.

stoveguyy is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 03 STS
    How common is it for both head gaskets to leak? Can anyone here provide proof that both gaskets leaked on their motor or is it just assumed? It's a VEE motor, 2 heads, 2 gaskets. BOTH always leak together?

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, stick on fender vents
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Yeah ^^^ - That's Mike Lawson's (Kentucky) video work - inserts, not studs. The right (rear) head won't go over the studs with the engine in the car.

No, both head gaskets don't normally fail on the Northstar - or in any other V- engine, for that matter. Nothing says they can't fail together, but not normally.

Caddy-EaRL is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2000 Deville DTS 184,000 miles, 91 chevy truck 380,000 miles
    Quote Originally Posted by stoveguyy
    How common is it for both head gaskets to leak? Can anyone here provide proof that both gaskets leaked on their motor or is it just assumed? It's a VEE motor, 2 heads, 2 gaskets. BOTH always leak together?
    Although it may not be common, it's really irrelevant. You buy a head gaskets set, and only use one of the gaskets? That's like buying a set of brake pads and only installing one side...you have the intake off, the timing cover, the timing chains all removed, And you're only gonna replace one head gasket? Sorry I know its my opinion, but it's utter nonsense. It would be the same as pulling just the one head, finding one bolt has pulled the threads and just studding or certing that one hole. I do several head gasket jobs on all makes and models and would never consider doing just one. It's impractical.
    That just my opinion lol

Quote Originally Posted by stoveguyy View Post
    No. It's just one of those things that you generally do both at once and get it over with to avoid having to go in again.

sbergerson is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2000 Deville

Thanks for all the replies. Good food for thought.

I would much rather do all 20 holes at the same time, but was just thinking about the "If it's not broke, don't fix it" philosophy, and the fact that if I did the whole job, it is going to take me over a week, while I should be able to fix the problem in a day if I just fixed the front head. I am planning on fixing this myself... I love the car and want to keep it.

Steve

stoveguyy is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 03 STS
    Read post #1. He wants to pull head in car. It's his labor. He works for free. If he wants to leave rear head alone, go for it. Give it a try and see how it works out. You buy a stud kit for 300-400 and use 1/2. Or buy a timesert kit for 300 and put in 10 serts. Sell sert kit when finished. Yes, u pull both heads when motor is out of car. Why not. But motor is in car. Rear head is a pain

Caddy-EaRL is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2000 Deville DTS 184,000 miles, 91 chevy truck 380,000 miles
    He also asked or advise....

He was advised

basscatt is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 89 Coupe DeVille, 95 Sedan DeVille, 03 SLS, two 02 DHS's

I would much rather do all 20 holes at the same time, but was just thinking about the "If it's not broke, don't fix it" philosophy, and the fact that if I did the whole job, it is going to take me over a week, while I should be able to fix the problem in a day if I just fixed the front head. I am planning on fixing this myself... I love the car and want to keep it.

Steve
    ---------------------
    I should be able to fix the problem in a day if I just fixed the front head.

don't take this the wrong way -
    but I think you are either overestimating your mechanical ability -
    or underestimating the complexity of the Northstar motor -

its going to take you several hours just to get to the timing chains -
    and you can't just "slip them off the sprockets" -

I can understand your reasoning behind trying to do just the front head -
    and you MIGHT be able to do it in one weekend - but not one day -

Steve
    As long as you are going in eyes wide open and know the pitfalls and are willing to take your chances, go for it. That said, I have to agree with Bass. Not sure if you'll finish this in a day unless this is not your first rodeo.

maeng9981 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 14 SRX, 12 Sierra, 00 SLS, 99 Deville 50-year Anniversary

I love the car and want to keep it.
    Then do it properly and fix all 20 bolt holes. There's no question about it. There are reasons why they sell 20 studs in a package...

The two Northstars I repaired all had #1 cylinder gasket failed. No point to have half of the engine repaired, just to see the other side fail in the near future. Not guaranteed to fail, but not promising to not fail either.

98eldo32v is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 98 eldo/KD54 w/N37,T96,QA1,D55,DS3,U1Z. U3R next

"The two Northstars I repaired all had #1 cylinder gasket failed".

Ironically, ones I've taken apart all have had cylinder number one issues. I wonder what the deal is with cylinder number one.........

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.