Cadillac Owners Forum banner

New battery

4K views 28 replies 8 participants last post by  blackonblacklac00 
#1 · (Edited)
Didnt really want to make a thread about this but kinda needed a straight forward answer to the situation, I'm pulling the car out of storage on may 5th but I'm buying a new battery from the dealership today because they only have one left in stock. If I buy it I'm not gonna put it in the car till I'm ready to take it out. Where should I put the battery in the mean while? In the car or on a wooden shelf Or should I just take a chance and just wait till I take the car out?

#3 ·
The battery, if fully charged, will be fine. Just set it in the garage. Don't you ever have a car sit for a few weeks? Make sure it is fully charged since sometimes they are not. And why buy from the dealer? Usually you pay twice as much for the same thing everyone else sells.

#4 ·
Slipgate said:
The battery, if fully charged, will be fine. Just set it in the garage. Don't you ever have a car sit for a few weeks? Make sure it is fully charged since sometimes they are not. And why buy from the dealer? Usually you pay twice as much for the same thing everyone else sells.
Yeah I do have the car sit but my question is should I put the battery in the car and let it sit for another wee or two or should I sit it on a shelf or something.

I like OEM parts only I've looked everywhere no one really has a 79 series in AC Delco only interstate for $180, since I work for a dealership part time Im getting a AC Delco for $200. List price was $260

#7 ·
blackonblacklac00 said:
Yeah I do have the car sit but my question is should I put the battery in the car and let it sit for another wee or two or should I sit it on a shelf or something.
It's been on a shelf for a while, it's not fully charged. Installing and connecting it will drain it faster. It might be dead by the time you go to use the car. You can leave it on a shelf, or install it and leave it disconnected until you're ready to use the car again.

#10 ·
$200? Ouch. I purchased a brand new ACDelco battery a few months back from an ACDelco distributor not far from me, ended up costing me around $100. Have you checked for local ACDelco distributors to call and check their price? They have a website where you can search for local distributors too.

#21 ·
-----------------------
that "parts guy" is an IDIOT -

the group 78 has no way to connect the venting system -
and is too tall to fit under the back seat -

-----------

I know you said you prefer a Delco battery -
but I wonder WHY?

the Walmart battery is every bit as good as the Delco -

has the same - if not better warranty -
3 year FREE replacement - 5 year pro-rated -

there are a LOT more Walmart stores - open 24 a day - 7 days a week -
than Delco distribution centers - should you ever need a replacement -

I'm just sharing a way to save some money - $118 -
without sacrificing quality -

#19 · (Edited)
MoistCabbage said:
"Parts guy" is wrong. A group. A group 78 is not compatible with the vent hoses, it's not wide enough.

Since it's physically smaller, I'd expect reserve time to be lower as well.
He doesn't know what he's talkin about but I gave him the look after he said that and he cleared his throat and changed his little sales pitch, funny how there was a sign behind him that said "Battery Clearance Final Sale".

found another parts store that has a AC Delco for $180.

#22 ·
basscatt said:
-----------------------

the group 78 has no way to connect the venting system -
and is too tall to fit under the back seat -

-----------

I know you said you prefer a Delco battery -
but I wonder WHY?

the Walmart battery is every bit as good as the Delco -

has the same - if not better warranty -

there are a LOT more Walmart stores - open 24 a day - 7 days a week -
than Delco distribution centers - should you ever need a replacement -

I'm just sharing a way to save some money -
without sacrificing quality -
LOL

I appreciate it Basscatt, what your saying makes sense I've just always replaced every part on the car with originally but I guess for the battery I could do it. I'll see what walmart has I'm out in Canada right now so I'm gonna have to see what deals they have I read somewhere in Canada walmart doesn't carry 79 series.

#26 · (Edited)
I decided to stick with AC Delco got it from the dealer for $160 :) but here's what's different it's a 79PS "professional silver" it has only a 30 month free replacement warranty instead of the 79-6YR 6 year warranty That has a 36 month free replacement and limited 6 year warranty. Should I be taking it back and tell them I want the 6 year?

#28 ·
they don't make the 6YR and 7YR batteries anymore
they have been replaced by the PS and PG lines

the 6YR batteries only had a 30-month free replacement period so the only difference between the 6YR and the PS battery is the pro-ration period is gone

usually if you made it past the free replacement period and it failed in the pro-ration period you ended up paying quite a bit
it was confusing to people that the battery said 6YR on it but they had to pay to get a new battery when it failed in year 5 (for instance)

also I've noticed that these new PS and PG batteries are being made in Saudi Arabia ... wonder which manufacturer that is ...

#29 ·
RippyPartsDept said:
they don't make the 6YR and 7YR batteries anymore
they have been replaced by the PS and PG lines

the 6YR batteries only had a 30-month free replacement period so the only difference between the 6YR and the PS battery is the pro-ration period is gone

usually if you made it past the free replacement period and it failed in the pro-ration period you ended up paying quite a bit
it was confusing to people that the battery said 6YR on it but they had to pay to get a new battery when it failed in year 5 (for instance)

also I've noticed that these new PS and PG batteries are being made in Saudi Arabia ... wonder which manufacturer that is ...
K no complaints from me then.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.