93 SDV, intermittent coolant leak, help!
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
Cadillac DeVille 1985 to 2005 including:
1985-1992 Fleetwood, 1993 Sixty Special, All FWD Forum Discussion, 93 SDV, intermittent coolant leak, help! in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I just had my water pump replaced about 6 weeks ago after it failed because the previous guy didn't install ...
    nashcaddy is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Blue 1993 Sedan DeVille, 4.9

93 SDV, intermittent coolant leak, help!

I just had my water pump replaced about 6 weeks ago after it failed because the previous guy didn't install it correctly and it had leaks and the bearings eventually failed. Anyhow, my friend is a very meticulous certified mechanic and he spent a carefull amount of time going over it and making sure it was installed correctly and no leaks. Well, it leaked really bad this past friday as I made it to his house to get a heater hose replaced because it was very soft. Most of the coolant drained out so I filled it back up. He seemed to think that the timing cover needed replacing. We thought this too when the water pump was bad but I didn't have the time and money to get him to replace that. Well, I left his house to go to the auto parts store to try stop leak. No leak. I made it home, no leak. Went to a person's house, major leak, BUT...when I checked the radiator it was full and so was the overflow tank.

Ok, I've been driving all weekend various places and checking for leaks...no leaks. Yesterday, I went to run errands and it leaked out again and I had to fill the radiator up. Drove a couple of other places..no leaks again. Does anybody have any ideas of what's going on here? Like I said, I have a new water pump. The car has 260k on it and besides a slight miss and needing a new idle speed controller it runs fine.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Re: 93 SDV, intermittent coolant leak, help!

when I checked the radiator it was full and so was the overflow tank.
    Are you filling the reservoir to the top? Are you overheating?

I did fill the reservoir too much a couple of times. I am not overheating. It's using up what's in the reservoir and then leaking out whenever I stop. Sometimes it's not leaking out but just using what's in the reservoir. Does that make sense?

bigm57ict is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1995 Sedan DeVille, 1979 Coupe deVille

Could it be that it is always leaking, but sometimes the engine is hot, so it evaporates away and other times, it cools enough that you can see the leaking?

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

If it is using coolant and you are absolutely positive that it is not leaking it, then you may be looking at a head gasket (not a common 4.9 problem).

It is leaking out the bottom underneath the water pump. My mechanic said it was the timing chain cover. It's leaking pretty bad. I hope that I can keep driving and filling it up for the next day or so without problems until I can get him to work on it. I keep putting water and coolant in it everytime I stop. I'm not driving anywhere I don't have to for now. It is leaking when the engine is running.

Ok, I let the mechanic have it over the weekend and he did a pressure test on it and found that the timing cover gasket needed to be replaced. It was leaking oil into the coolant system. Problem is he can't remove the harmonic balancer without either lifting the engine or dropping the engine down. Does anyone know if there is a way to change the timing cover gasket and removing the harmonic balancer without doing this. If this has to be done I'm just going to get a used engine from somewhere and take it and have it put in. Thanks in advance.

VEGASELDO91 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1991 ELDORADO (R.I.P.); 1995 Sedan Deville

I'm not sure how much room your 93 has, but I was able to remove mine through the RF wheel area without dropping the engine down at all. I do realize these are two different body styles but if he hasn't already he may want to give it a try. http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...-oil-will.html

onecool is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Deville
    Make sure and support the car properly and you can loosen the subframe bolts but not completely removed you're going to need a pulley remover and installer. good luck.

He already knows about needing a pulley remover and what not. It's just that there's not much clearance there where it needs to come off. I'll suggest the RF wheel thing. If it's possible to take all that out I'm sure he will try to do it. I don't believe there is a panel or anything that can be removed. I may be wrong but I'll ask him in the morning.

Apparently removing the wheel well still does not give enough clearance. There are 2 metal rods that support the engine that are in the way. I'm going to try to find a shop that can do it. Not sure how much that will cost. Thought about buying a used deville engine from one of the online dealers....brainstorming right now.

VEGASELDO91 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1991 ELDORADO (R.I.P.); 1995 Sedan Deville

Take a look at the picture in this thread (post no.3), it looks like there is enough room to get the balancer off and out without having to adjust the engine.https://www.google.com/url?q=http://...8wP45FRC-Nz7-Q

brougham is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1991 Cadillac Brougham D'Elegance 5.7 Litre

It depends on how far the balancer has to pull out to come off.

dennis93coupe is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1993 Coupe Deville 2006 XLR Infrared, Ebony

Quote Originally Posted by VEGASELDO91 View Post
    Take a look at the picture in this thread (post no.3), it looks like there is enough room to get the balancer off and out without having to adjust the engine.https://www.google.com/url?q=http://...8wP45FRC-Nz7-Q
    Gee that engine looks awfully familiar. Anyway, the subframe will have to be lowered a little to get the damper off.
    VEGASELDO91 and VEGASELDO91 like this.

onecool is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Deville
    Just drop the subframe a little 4 bolts not completely off. Or due what I did mine was leaking water/oil from the rear closest to the firewall I did not want to remove timing cover again. So I loosen the bolts around the leak area and siliconed inside and out the water port area.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.