93 SDV, intermittent coolant leak, help! - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree1Likes
Cadillac DeVille 1985 to 2005 including:
1985-1992 Fleetwood, 1993 Sixty Special, All FWD Forum Discussion, 93 SDV, intermittent coolant leak, help! in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Ok guys, sorry it took me so long to post what happened with my Deville. Took it to an old ...
    nashcaddy is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Blue 1993 Sedan DeVille, 4.9

Re: 93 SDV, intermittent coolant leak, help!

Ok guys, sorry it took me so long to post what happened with my Deville. Took it to an old guy at a local garage and he said let me look at it before I start tearing apart and find out you don't need a timing cover gasket. Well he said it was the water pump gasket. After going back and forth about what was done to it and him doing a pressure test 3 times he said I didn't need a timing cover gasket. Took it back to my friend who had replaced the water pump about 4 weeks previous and he gets it off and calls me and says the bolts are stripped. Apparently the bolts holding the water pump to the block were no longer binding real tight. Problem fixed. I also had a trans fluid leak that had been going on for a while and replaced the cooler hoses to no avail. One day I get up under it and start feeling around and noticed that I could turn the bolts on the transmission pan with my fingers...pissed me off..but glad I found that. This car has 260k on the original engine and transmission. Needs body work but I think I'll keep as a second car and find another used 4.9 in good shape instead of spending more money on this one. Thanks for your replies.

nashcaddy is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Blue 1993 Sedan DeVille, 4.9

ok, now this problem has occurred again. A couple of days ago I notice that antifreeze has leaked all over the ground. I get it home over the weekend and let my mechanic look at it. Some of the bolts the hold the water pump are loose. Apparently the threads might be stripped. He also says that the bolts go into the timing cover and that I probably do need to replace the timing cover. We also hear the bearings in the water pump making noises. So, going to order another water pump from the dealer and go from there. Can someone chime in about the timing cover. Could it be warped or need to be replaced? How do you know if you have a problem with it? I would have to take it to a shop because he doesn't have the equipment to lower it to get to it. Thanks

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

I find it hard to believe that the timing cover needs to be replaced, but I didn't see it.

drewsdeville is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2011 Crown Vic LX, 2009 Chevy Malibu 2LT

The timing cover is a weak sheet metal piece. The studs that the water pump nuts thread onto are pressed into the cover. The assembly is very weak and finicky when it comes to torque. If the bolts in the inlet are stripped, they were overtorqued and we can only assume that the nuts on the studs were as well. This warps the cover around the studs making it impossible to seal. Not at all uncommon to have to replace the cover and inlet together. If one's damaged, the other almost always is as well.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.