Cadillac Owners Forum banner

P 0410 Secondary AIR injection Pump

9K views 43 replies 8 participants last post by  Ranger 
#1 ·
I'm about to pull the caddy out from storage next week and last I left it with the PO410 code so I know that's one of the things I got to do right away,

There wouldn't be no vacuum sound on cold starts and the 50 amp fuse will blow every time I change it. So I'm I definitely looking at a pump replacement? Can I cancel out all the other issues related to the system since fuse keeps blowing due to a shortage cause by water? I never had this problem with my other 2 DTS's that had the pump.

#2 ·
Re: PO410 Secondary AIR injection Pump

If the Maxi-fuse blows at cold start the AIR pump is seized - from water ingestion due to a baffle cover falling off the pump.

Inside the LF fenderwell liner.

#3 · (Edited)
Submariner409 said:
If the Maxi-fuse blows at cold start the AIR pump is seized - from water ingestion due to a baffle cover falling off the pump.

Inside the LF fenderwell liner.
I replaced the fuse once and cleared the code and it took about 3-4 days for the code to pop back up and pop the fuse, sounds right? So it's definitely a pump replacement? Just don't want throw money at it if that's not it exactly read a lot of other guys on here did and didn't end up solving the problem but the fuse blowing is pretty much a no brainer.

Do you have the part# to the newer design pump? And best place to get it?

I remember checking the pump and the cover was cracked up a bit with a bit of water around there.

#5 · (Edited)
Ranger said:
I agree with Sub. The "pump" (more of a blower) is most likely shot. I think I got mine on Amazon, but I don't recall the part number. I think if you get the "kit" it includes the new hoses.
I'll try to find out the part number to the newer hose design. If you guys come across it would you mind please posturing it for me?

Sub and Ranger are my hero's on this site so if you guys agree with each other I have my answer :) you two have helped me a lot over the years with my other 2 DTS's, I appreciate what you guys have done. Owe you guys a beer and a steak in this lifetime or the next lol

#7 · (Edited)
Ranger said:
Shipping to Canada is $40 I got to move back to States side asap Rockauto is only $6 cheaper.

I got a guy I know at a auto wrecker close by that has 3 Devilles and a STS in there with the pumps. ill probably get it for $50 he said if one doesn't work I could swap them tell one works but what if none do lol knowing my luck that might happen.

Should I go new or used?

#13 ·
It goes in pretty much the same way as the old design. Except for the snorkel (intake hose) is routed up between the inner and outer fender. Just above the horns there is an oval shaped hole thru the inner fender. The top of the snorkel will snap into this oval shaped hole in the fender.

Top of snorkel... notice the 2 small plastic clips (and foam gasket) that will hold the snorkel intake in the preexisting oval hole in the inner fender.

#14 ·
00 Deville said:
It goes in pretty much the same way as the old design. Except for the snorkel (intake hose) is routed up between the inner and outer fender. Just above the horns there is an oval shaped hole thru the inner fender. The top of the snorkel will snap into this oval shaped hole in the fender.

Top of snorkel... notice the 2 small plastic clips (and foam gasket) that will hold the snorkel intake in the preexisting oval hole in the inner fender.
Thanks, I'm gonna do this over the weekend if the weather holds up.

#15 ·
Not trying to thread-jack but I have the same code but my fan comes on. BUT when I checked the pump, I pulled the top hose and I noticed it was wet. So I stuck my finger in the bottom of the pump and it was a small puddle of water in it..... but as I said before it still works. Oh and the cover was broke. I sonr know if that is an issue.

----------

My fuse is fine so I was looking at that amazon part that was posted and I noticed an electrical connector. ... maybe that's disconnected? I dunno. Its weird because it works fine.

#20 ·
I installed the pump today, my old one was full of water :S

What had me confused was the owner before played around with the hose and had it zip tied to the frame hanging around the same area the new designed one is supposed to clip into. Either way it's all good now lets hope this pump holds up I definitely hear the vacuum noise now lol

#22 ·
I installed the pump today, my old one was full of water :S

What had me confused was the owner before played around with the hose and had it zip tied to the frame hanging around the same area the new designed one is supposed to clip into. Either way it's all good now lets hope this pump holds up I definitely hear the vacuum noise now lol
That's just how they came and why they ingest water and had to be redesigned. I still have that syle and last year my pump was making some scary noises but now it's fine so ill let it go till more water gets in it.

#23 ·
13ir14314 said:
That's just how they came and why they ingest water and had to be redesigned. I still have that syle and last year my pump was making some scary noises but now it's fine so ill let it go till more water gets in it.
The old one had the same looking snorkel on it too with one clip broken just hanging it looked like someone had cut the snorkel off another hose and zip tied it to the hose connected to the pump real butcher job lol

And finding that hole the resigned one fits into took a while its kinda hidden had pull back the inner wheel well liner to find it.

#24 · (Edited)
Got a bit of a problem here....

It rained last night and I realized the vacuum sound got a bit lower. And I had posted a while back that I heard a gargling sound from that area before and I heard it again today I decided to pull the pump out and water came pouring out of it and the gargling sound stopped.....

How is water getting into it now?!?!

#25 ·
Splash, and maybe - just maybe - water ingestion at pump cycle/test: The most common problem with this type of pump failure. The new intake hose goes up into the engine compartment.

Are ALL your air deflectors and splash shields in place and tight ?

#26 · (Edited)
Submariner409 said:
Splash, and maybe - just maybe - water ingestion at pump cycle/test: The most common problem with this type of pump failure. The new intake hose goes up into the engine compartment.

Are ALL your air deflectors and splash shields in place and tight ?
Yeah the splash shield is tight I have all the clips on its not cracked no where. I even strapped a couple tie wraps around the pump not tight but just to make sure the cover doesn't flap open or anything.

What I realized is the water is coming in from the hose that runs to the cat...When I unclamped it and tilted the pump water came out only from where that hose connects to the pump.

How could water be getting in from that hose?

#29 ·
Ranger said:
:noidea: All you can do is drop the lower air deflector and have a look.
Yeah but what I'm trying to figure out water is coming from the other end where ever the fresh air gets pushed to the cat.

Would it hurt if I cover the pump with some kind of tape around the areas water could get in? Does it need to breathe be able to breath or anything? It's only on for 40 seconds and it sucks air in from the hose. What do you think?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.