Fuel gauge reading wrong.
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Cadillac DeVille 1985 to 2005 including:
1985-1992 Fleetwood, 1993 Sixty Special, All FWD Forum Discussion, Fuel gauge reading wrong. in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Someone told me about this site and also told me how to use the built in check engine reader. I ...
    trailor is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 00 Deville DTS, 120K Miles

Fuel gauge reading wrong.

Someone told me about this site and also told me how to use the built in check engine reader.

I have a 2000 DTS. And since I pulled the codes and cleared them, my gauge goes bonkers. For instance, I just drove to Kentucky and back

----------

My fuel trip said 300 miles and my fuel gauge was saying that I could go 177 miles and I was at half a tank. Clearly that wasn't going to happen. And it just stays there. Idk. Since I pulled the codes it's been doing this. Any ideas.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Jungle George is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Re: Fuel gauge reading wrong.

The fuel pump is giving up the ghost. I have the same problem after the fuel level goes below 1/2 tank, from there it just goes up to full and back to half. I already ran out of gas on the I-15 here in southern Kalifornia. So now I reset one trip meter when I fill up and also reset the fuel used gauge to 0. the miles to empty is useless because it shows what the gas gauge is showing. No way your car will use 15 gallons and still be full and show 300+ miles to empty. Please let me know if this is the problem, if not let us know what the problem was. I have been too lazy to take down the fuel tank to replace the gauge and besides it's around $400.

Ranger is online now Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

There is no correlation between pulling the DTC's and the gas gauge. Sounds like a bad fuel level sensor.

thenaaks is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 04 deville
    There is an access panel under the trunk carpet. There is a fuel gauge sending unit on Ebay for around 30 dollars. The job will take you about an hour.

This just happened out of no where. I just refueled and have 3/4s of a tank and ill see what happens. As soon as half tank hits, that's where the trouble seems to start.

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, install a sound system
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

The fuel level sender wiper contacts - on the fuel pump assembly inside the tank - are known to fail. Two reasons: sulfur deposits or mechanical wear. Fuel level has nothing to do with the DIC messages and range/gallons used - that's from a fuel flow calculation. When you fill up, toggle to the DIC messages and clear the fuel used and average mph info. That starts the fuel use calculations from scratch. You need to study the owner's manual to find out how all the messages and calculations work together to give you "range".

First, try a 20 oz. jug of Chevron TECHRON HD fuel system cleaner with a fill-up of a Top Tier gasoline. Google it. The TECHRON will dissolve sulfur deposits.

Next, if that doesn't work, look in www.rockauto.com, your car, year, model, fuel/air for a fuel pump assembly - usually on sale for about $110 - $130. The DELPHI/UltraPower/Airtex product - all are the original GM product for your car.

There's an access hatch in the trunk floor, and a HowTo video in the Airtex listing in RockAuto - click the little INFO tab in the fuel pump assembly description.

It just happened out of no where. It seems to do this around half a tank. I'm going to see how this tank does around the city. Stay tuned.

I have noticed that when I start my car, my fuel gauge will read accurately, and the DIC will tell me how much fuel I have left. I did one cycle with the TECHRON and I am about to do a second. It seems to get better? When I start my car, it's the most accurate and as I drive, my car lies. Lol.

I will keep you guys informed. I just got the oil change and I'm moving onto the next cure for my car. I've read the codes that I pulled and now I have to fix those.

----------

After pulling one code, it happens to be the Fuel level Sensor Circuit High? (p0463).

Now I have more codes to learn about;

IPMB0429 CURRENT = DTC B0429 Temperature Control #3 Rear Circuit Range/Performance

What in the hell does that mean?

MSM B1860 = DTC B1860 Driver Lumbar Vert Sensor CKT Malf

PCM P0446 = I have replaced the sensor.

Don't hold your breath. I doubt Techron is going to do much. You need a new level sensor.

B0429 means that the rear temperature control actuator is not in the requested position.

Yeah. I'm going to order that sensor. How do I fix the other codes mentioned.

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, install a sound system
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Before you order just the fuel level sender, read Para. 3 of Post #6 again - the chances that a level sender alone costs more than the entire fuel pump assembly (which includes the level sender) are very great. www.rockauto.com - - - NOT eBay.

Update your profile to show your car model, year, mileage.

I would assume B1860 means you will have to get into the seat back.

I don't know what P0446 is.

----------

Quote Originally Posted by Submariner409 View Post
    the chances that a level sender alone costs more than the entire fuel pump assembly (which includes the level sender) are very great.
    Good point Sub. I should have mentioned that.

scanssystems is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2001 Cadillac DHS; Galaxy Silver 247k

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger View Post
    [/COLOR]
    Good point Sub. I should have mentioned that.
    You told me you hate throwing parts in. Aftermarket leveler costs about $30 and fuel pump assembly (around or over $200.. I guess..). So, it is better give a chance to loose $30 than throw away working pump and pay $200 for new one (or about that).

I put after market leveler(lifetime warranty) in March 2012 and still goes strong. Didn't waste my good pump.
    Just my $0.02...

Good luck!

I'm going on what Sub says. I've never priced them.............. yet. Based on your prices, I'd replace the level sensor.

Sorry fellas, I'm always on my phone when I use this site.

The car is a 2000 Cadillac DeVille DTS and it just hit 120,126 miles today. I was looking at rockauto.com(I've used them for many years for multiple cars) and the sensor/cable is anywhere from $110-130. So where do I find this mysterious $30 part haha.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.