Fuel gauge reading wrong. - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Cadillac DeVille 1985 to 2005 including:
1985-1992 Fleetwood, 1993 Sixty Special, All FWD Forum Discussion, Fuel gauge reading wrong. in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Originally Posted by trailor Sorry fellas, I'm always on my phone when I use this site. The car is a ...
    Caddy-EaRL is online now Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2000 Deville DTS 184,000 miles, 91 chevy truck 380,000 miles
    Quote Originally Posted by trailor
    Sorry fellas, I'm always on my phone when I use this site.

The car is a 2000 Cadillac DeVille DTS and it just hit 120,126 miles today. I was looking at rockauto.com(I've used them for many years for multiple cars) and the sensor/cable is anywhere from $110-130. So where do I find this mysterious $30 part haha.
    Get the sk number from rock auto. There will be 2 different options depending on your vin. Use that sk number (mine is sk1035) and search eBay. There are several listed there. Those will be ac delco. For cheaper ones search for deville fuel level sensor.

scanssystems is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2001 Cadillac DHS; Galaxy Silver 247k
    Yep. Ebay all the way. The only thing I didn't use any special codes. Nobody nowhere even mentioned them. Even ebay sellers.

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Re: Fuel gauge reading wrong.

Don't overlook Amazon.

Quote Originally Posted by scanssystems
    Yep. Ebay all the way. The only thing I didn't use any special codes. Nobody nowhere even mentioned them. Even ebay sellers.
    I see several sk1035 listed as well as sk1030. Rock auto shows sk1035, sk1030, and sk1194. The 1194 and 1035 are first and second designs and go by the vin. They both have dual prong locking feature and the 1035 with loose CPA clip (no idea what the CPA clip is). The 1030 has single prong locking feature without loose CPA clip but it doesn't say anything about the vin or first or second design. I need one of these sensors and guess I'm gonna take mine out to see what one I have. Unless y'all's think I should just get the one that says fits my vin, I'm just confused as to whether I need the 1030 or 1035 lol

trailor is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 00 Deville DTS, 120K Miles

Re: Fuel gauge reading wrong.

Thanks for all the help fellas. After running a few cycles of Techron, it's only a few bucks, I'm certain it's the fuel Level sensor. Now how do I figure out which level sensor I need?

According to www.rockauto.com it depends on the VIN #.. My vin is xxxYU237xxx. Here's what rock auto says..

"ACDELCO Part # SK1194 {#19121313} DUAL PRONG ATTACHMENT FEATURE
    SENSOR KIT,FUEL LVL 1ST DESIGN; VIN PRIOR TO YU145380, FOR 2ND DES SEE 25330713"

Yay or nay?

Also, 2 prong vs 1 prong?

Thanks for all the help fellas. After running a few cycles of Techron, it's only a few bucks, I'm certain it's the fuel Level sensor. Now how do I figure out which level sensor I need?

According to www.rockauto.com it depends on the VIN #.. My vin is xxxYU237xxx. Here's what rock auto says..

"ACDELCO Part # SK1194 {#19121313} DUAL PRONG ATTACHMENT FEATURE
    SENSOR KIT,FUEL LVL 1ST DESIGN; VIN PRIOR TO YU145380, FOR 2ND DES SEE 25330713"

Yay or nay?

Also, 2 prong vs 1 prong?
    ACDELCO Part # SK1035
    {#25330713, 88963638} DUAL PRONG LOCKING FEATURE WITH LOOSE CPA CLIP
    SENSOR KIT,FUEL LVL 2ND DESIGN; VIN ON OR AFTER VIN YU145381

Looks like you need the same as mine according to your vin, sk1035. I was also unsure about the one prong or two and instead of pulling out I check and be sure, I just went ahead and ordered the sk1035 from eBay with free shipping for 59 bucks.

Let me know! I haven't ordered mine yet. Lol

Let me know! I haven't ordered mine yet. Lol
    I installed it this morning, the 1035 was the one I needed, works great now.

Was your the one prong or 2 prong? How long did it take you to install?

Mine was the 2 prong.

Took about 20 minutes or so

Awesome. I'm ordering mine tonight. I will let you know how it goes.

So my part showed up today and unfortunately I cannot find at threads or walk throughs about how to replace this silly sensor.

RaySuave is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2000 Base Deville, 80K Miles

Lightbulb Re: Fuel gauge reading wrong.

Welp, I have a 2000 Deville with 80K miles I purchased used about 5 months ago. The owner failed to tell me the fuel gauge didnt work so I ran out of gas a few blocks from home a few days later. After finding this forum and similar topics such as this, I finally got the courage to go ahead and replace the sensor. Bought just the sensor from Amazon.com (SK1035) and started the repair after logging 215 miles on a full tank.

There are a lot of comments in these fuel sensor replacement threads where folks claim its easy and takes 20 minutes without the need of any special tools or any elaboration on the process. Even after asking the Autozone and O'Reilly auto parts guys if buying a special tool was a good idea, they said all I needed was a chisel/screwdriver and a mallet which is what I already had. Long story short, I wrestled with the retainer ring for about 1.5 hours using a screwdriver, a mallet, and some WD40. The ring wasnt rusted or anything, it was just locked in really really tight was not possible to get a good angle of attack with the screwdriver.

After I got the ring off, I spent another 45 minutes trying to get the pump assembly out of the tank. This is because if you dont pull the module absolutely vertical, the pump assembly reservoir will not clear the tank opening. Even when I managed to get the pump assembly out, it was an extremely tight fit where I had to rotate it out of the tank hole like a screw, almost as if the pump reservoir circumference expanded a little after it was put in the first time.

So after I replaced the level sensor which was pretty straight forward and re-installed the pump assembly, I could not get the retainer ring to fully lock. After damaging some of the plastic on one of the connectors on top of the fuel pump due to my efforts, I gave up with the ring halfway engaged and decided to order a tool to fully tighten the ring. Drove the car two days with the fuel level reading correctly with no issues. Also I should mention that the level sensor I bought was the exact same match for the one in the tank.

I ordered the "Lisle 63000 Fuel Tank Lock Ring Tool" from Amazon for $28 bucks instead of the more expensive one the field manual specifies. The tool isnt made exactly for the 2000 Deville tank but it was the most cost effective option and I could tell that it would put pressure on the ring where it needed. The part was delivered and I fully engaged the retainer ring. The tool made working with the retainer ring a piece of cake.

Hopefully this will help someone who is doing this repair and save them some time and frustration since I didnt see anything but "30 minute job" comments everywhere I looked, maybe my experience was the exception . Only if I was to do this again, then it would probably take only 30 minutes.

Lastly, thanks to this forum and its resources, I was able to replace my passenger rear door window regulator....feels good having a chance to be a contributing member....

Ray

SK1035 Level Sensor
    31tn8H-XWwL.jpg

Retainer Ring Tool
    41tqyW6cbtL._SX385_.jpg

Ha! Thank you!

I ordered a new part. I recently received the wrong sku which was a 1030 instead of the 1035. Do I need to replace the retaining nut?

RaySuave is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2000 Base Deville, 80K Miles
    No, just the o-ring between the pump module and tank. It should come with the level sensor.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.