Coolant Leak Question
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac DeVille 1985 to 2005 including:
1985-1992 Fleetwood, 1993 Sixty Special, All FWD Forum Discussion, Coolant Leak Question in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I have a coolant leak that is comming from the area where the engine meets the transmission. Looking down there ...
    mn_vette is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): '03 Deville

Coolant Leak Question

I have a coolant leak that is comming from the area where the engine meets the transmission. Looking down there with a mirror I can see a drip path comming off the coolant cross over pipe. But I can't quite tell the origin of where the coolant is comming from, only where it is dripping off. The heater hose connector is new and is bone dry. How likely is it that the leak is comming from the cross over pipe and not something else like the head gasket(which is right above the lower crossover connector)? From what I've searched and read the head gasket leaks tend to be internal to the engine. The last thing that I want to do is to do the gaskets on the cross over and not have this fixed. Any help or advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, stick on fender vents
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Re: Coolant Leak Question

Try to clean and dry the affected area(s). Rent a cooling system pressure test kit from a large parts store. With the engine cold, pressurize the system and use a good, bright flashlight to do some snooping.

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Are you talking about the crossover "manifold", on the rear of the engine (drivers side) or the heater pipes running along the right head by the firewall (#10 below)?

I'm talking about the actual cross over piece that attaches to the engine and has the water pump and thottle body bolted to it. The drip is in the back of the engine toward the firewall so it is very hard to see. But the coolant is puddling on the top of the transmission and some of it is dripping off the brace that goes between the engine and transmission around the cross over exhaust pipe. I can try and get a pressure tester and see what comes out, but I'm not sure I'll have a very good view.

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

That's a pretty common leak point on the 2000+ engines for some reason. Been there, but fortunately mine was still under warranty at the time. It's a bitch of a job.

Jungle George is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

More than likely it's the o-ring on the water pump leaking; very hard to see; trick is to look at the water pump belt and see if it's wet; it's supposed to be dry. That's is 99% of leaks on that side of the engine. All other parts that mate together are machined and just use o rings or no gasket at all, so it's hard for them to leak. Problem with the water pump is that there is electrolysis working between the steel pump cassette and the cast aluminum casting and water conductivity, with the o-ring in the middle. since you will be replacing the o-ring get a new GM water pump (around $40.00) and look at the belt tensioner for the water pump drive belt, and check the bearing to make sure it turns smoothly.

George, The drip is comming off the firewall side of the engine so it shouldn't be the water pump. I got a coolant pressure tester and tried it out last night but it didn't seem to drip from the back. The block and transmission were also covered with condensation from the temperature change and the humidity here in MI, so it was going to be impossile to find a small leak or something that only opens up when the car warms up.

I decided to quit messing around with it and just get the job done. So it took me about 3 1/2 hours to get everything out and clean up all the gasket areas. I'm picking up a full gasket set from AutoZone today and hopefully I can finish it up this weekend. This job would have been a TON easier if I did this a month ago when I had the transmission out of the car. I would definately put this as a must do any time the transmission comes out just for general maintinance just because it would be so much easier.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.