Electrical Gremlins - Door Locks Only Work When Car Running
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac DeVille 1985 to 2005 including:
1985-1992 Fleetwood, 1993 Sixty Special, All FWD Forum Discussion, Electrical Gremlins - Door Locks Only Work When Car Running in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; First, I wanted to thank everyone here for all the great information on this site. You guys are awesome! I ...
    CaddyInParadise is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 94 STS, and four 4.x DeVilles in the past.

Electrical Gremlins - Door Locks Only Work When Car Running

First, I wanted to thank everyone here for all the great information on this site. You guys are awesome!

I recently picked up a 92 Deville (my fourth 4.x powered FWD) and it has a strange electrical issue that has me stumped. The door locks don't work unless the engine is running. If the car is running, they work fine, the switches and lock motors on all 4 doors are OK. If the car is off, no power locks.

Stranger yet, if the car is off and I put the key in and hold it in the unlock position, all 4 doors unlock like they should. Until I start the car I cannot use the switches inside.

If I shut off the car, and the retained accessory power is still active, the lock switches work. As soon as I open the door, no power locks.

I have checked every fuse and maxi fuse I can find but I am obviously missing something. Can somebody please point me in the right direction as to where to begin troubleshooting?

Thanks in advance.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

rodnok01 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 98 DeVille, 97 DeVille d'Elegance
    The door locks are not part of the RAP system. They are always hot or at least are supposed to be. Does it do the same regardless what door is open? I was thinking if only when drivers frt door may be wiring issue in that door(between jamb & door).
    The other thing is since these caddies use ground to control power possible ground is bad for locks and using another ground(kind of back feeding) when power is on. To that system.

Re: Electrical Gremlins - Door Locks Only Work When Car Running

Quote Originally Posted by rodnok01 View Post
    The door locks are not part of the RAP system. They are always hot or at least are supposed to be. Does it do the same regardless what door is open? I was thinking if only when drivers frt door may be wiring issue in that door(between jamb & door).
    The other thing is since these caddies use ground to control power possible ground is bad for locks and using another ground(kind of back feeding) when power is on. To that system.
    Thanks for replying. You are right in that the lock circuit should always be hot. I know it is getting power when the car is off, as the central unlocking will unlock all 4 doors by holding the key for a moment.

It does not matter which door opens, if RAP goes off, no locks. In fact, I have come to use that to lock the car, I open the driver's door just enough to unlatch, but not enough to throw the door switch. Hit the lock button, the doors lock, then open the door the rest of the way. Not bad when I am by myself, but difficult when others are in the car. Noteworthy also is that everything else electrical works perfectly, including everything that is supposed to be hot when the car is off. Nothing seems to be drawing current when the car is off, it has never had a dead battery in the morning.

The car does not appear that the electrical has been tampered with, even the stock radio and speakers are in it.

rodnok01 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 98 DeVille, 97 DeVille d'Elegance
    Is there any mention in owners manual about door lock options? You know you can set to unlock in park and all jazz. I know on my PA you cannot lock the door from the inside switch unless you hit it twice if drivers dooor is open. Some kind of keep you from locking keys in car crap. Just spit balling here cause I ain't got a clue now.

Re: Electrical Gremlins - Door Locks Only Work When Car Running

Still having this problem and cannot figure out what to troubleshoot next. One thing I didn't notice before is that the horns don't work. I checked themby disconnecting the wire and applying battery power and the horns themselves are fine. I was thinking this might be related because it is an accessory that is "always hot" and as others have pointed out something might be backfeeding through another circuit. Does anyone have a wiring diagram for these circuits? With a diagram and a test light I could further narrow down where the problem might be occurring. Thanks in advance for any ideas anyone might have.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.