Vibrations at 90-110 km/h
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Cadillac DeVille 1985 to 2005 including:
1985-1992 Fleetwood, 1993 Sixty Special, All FWD Forum Discussion, Vibrations at 90-110 km/h in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Like the title says I have vibrations around 90 to 110 km/h (56-70 m/h). I have all new front end ...
    redoxy is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 03 DHS

Vibrations at 90-110 km/h

Like the title says I have vibrations around 90 to 110 km/h (56-70 m/h). I have all new front end parts ( strut assembly, wheel and hub assembly, outer tie rod end). Had a wheel alignment and balance. i even installed Ranger's torque struts but still have the vibrations. My front engine mount looks fine and dealer said it is fine.
    What else could be the problem? I am out of ideas now.
    Thanks for reading and any input.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

rodnok01 is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 98 DeVille, 97 DeVille d'Elegance

Re: Vibrations at 90-110 km/h

If you had worn parts and tires are worn you could easily have vibration due to tires. Did you try and rotate the tires to see if it gets better?

Quote Originally Posted by rodnok01 View Post
    If you had worn parts and tires are worn you could easily have vibration due to tires. Did you try and rotate the tires to see if it gets better?
    Tire are almost new (winter tires with just one season on them) and was rotated not too long ago (less than 2 months)

jzchen is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '85 Sedan de Ville, '10 CTS-V

I had bad tires that caused a pull to one side when rotated front to back. You could also check the rear brakes. I am having a vibration in our '04 Sienna and I find that one pad is being eaten up.

bigm57ict is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1995 Sedan DeVille, 1979 Coupe deVille

It sounds like all the work you had done was to the front end. Could the vibrations be coming from the rear? Do you feel it through the steering wheel?

Thanks guys for the reply.
    The vibration is mostly the whole car, but you can feel it in the steering wheel and seats. The front passenger seat shakes a lot when there is no one sitting in it (I have a video player strapped to it for the little ones) and you can really see it shaking real bad.
    Work on the rear that was done was basically the pads and rotors, wheel bearings and the stabilizer bar links (all done within the past 4-6 months). Is there something I am missing that needs checking on both the front and rear which might be the cause of the vibration?

Also if Ranger is reading this I hope you can chime in. After installing the torque struts it sounds like the engine has become noisier (not sure if you had a similar experience when you installed yours). By noisier I mean I can really hear it in the cabin even with all windows up and at low rpm. Don't know for sure if it has anything to do with the torque strut, but did you notice any change in cabin noise from the engine after installing your torque struts.

Thanks again for the input

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

I noticed no noise or vibration at all after installing the torque struts. If you think it is the cause, you could try to insulate then with a piece of rubber. I seem to recall someone doing that. Might even be pictured posted.

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger View Post
    I noticed no noise or vibration at all after installing the torque struts. If you think it is the cause, you could try to insulate then with a piece of rubber. I seem to recall someone doing that. Might even be pictured posted.
    Thanks Ranger.
    I will be removing them tonight when I get home to make sure it is actually the cause of the noise. If it is, I will try and install the insulation as you advised and see what the happens.

Just an update.

I removed the torque struts and the engine noise noise in the cabin is now back to normal. What can I use for insulation if I want to reinstall the torque struts and where should I place the insulation?

Thanks

Never mind I found the post with pictures by 00 Deville

brougham is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1991 Cadillac Brougham D'Elegance 5.7 Litre

The vibration sounds typical of a wheel or tire problem. If the wheels were balanced properly it's probably one of the tires. Try switching them front to back and see if it makes any difference.

Thanks Brougham.
    Will try switching the tires and hopefully that solves it.

Chris Luongo is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1996 Deville

Highway vibrations seem to be a persistent, difficult-to-solve problem in our cars.

I spent countless days and hours on mine, and it still isn't right. Here's an old post of mine where I got it mostly improved. It still isn't right, but I can't figure out how to make it any better than I got it now.

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums.../t-228219.html

Good luck with yours. If you find any interesting solutions, please let us know.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Luongo View Post
    Highway vibrations seem to be a persistent, difficult-to-solve problem in our cars.

I spent countless days and hours on mine, and it still isn't right. Here's an old post of mine where I got it mostly improved. It still isn't right, but I can't figure out how to make it any better than I got it now.

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums.../t-228219.html

Good luck with yours. If you find any interesting solutions, please let us know.
    Thanks Chris.
    Just saw your reply and i'm reading the information in the link.

Just to update on y vibrations.
    I did rotate the tires ( but unlike what the manual suggests, ie. to switch rear tires parallel to front and the front diagonal to the rear, I could do the diagonal front to rears as the tires rotation direction wouldn't permit). So i just switched front to rear and vice versa parallel.
    Unfortunately the vibrations are still there at highway speeds (at least from 90 to 130 km/h).

jzchen is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '85 Sedan de Ville, '10 CTS-V

One thing to note about the issue with the rear brakes is that the vibration goes away when applying the brakes. I don't suppose you have noticed this?

Quote Originally Posted by jzchen View Post
    One thing to note about the issue with the rear brakes is that the vibration goes away when applying the brakes. I don't suppose you have noticed this?
    I haven't paid attention to vibrations whiles braking. Will check on my next test run. If that happens to be the case what will be the possible cause and solutions?
    Thanks

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.