Vibrations at 90-110 km/h - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Cadillac DeVille 1985 to 2005 including:
1985-1992 Fleetwood, 1993 Sixty Special, All FWD Forum Discussion, Vibrations at 90-110 km/h in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Originally Posted by redoxy I haven't paid attention to vibrations whiles braking. Will check on my next test run. If ...
    jzchen is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '85 Sedan de Ville, '10 CTS-V

Re: Vibrations at 90-110 km/h

Quote Originally Posted by redoxy View Post
    I haven't paid attention to vibrations whiles braking. Will check on my next test run. If that happens to be the case what will be the possible cause and solutions?
    Thanks
    I haven't found a solution yet. (I am not a mechanic but like to work on my cars as much as I can. I haven't been to a dealer/mechanic about this specific issue.) I did find that one pad on one side was eaten up really quickly and started to have cracks. It started squealing. The other 3 were fine. Since I bought lifetime pads at Autozone I took them back and they replaced them. It seemed to me that on one side either the one pad is not sitting properly and is coming into contact with the rotor, or there is some sort of spring mechanism that when the brakes are released the caliper springs back out, and that is having an issue. (I would think both pads would wear out quickly in this situation though.) No abnormal wear on the rotor. The other side is actually thicker. I did decide to pay for the upgrade to their top of the line pads. (I'm kind of waiting to see what happens to these.) You'll see abnormally rapid wear on one side (left or right side of the car) pad(s)/shoe(s) if this is your problem.

I actually found what the problem was using a google search. (No wonder the founders are so rich...)

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

There are no springs. If you are wearing the pads excessively fast, the caliper is probably dragging. Check the slide pins to be sure that they are properly lubed and rust free.

redoxy is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 03 DHS

Update
    I took off Ranger's torque struts because of the engine noise in the cabin. Checked all suspension, steering, brakes and wheels, cleaning those that needed cleaning, all seemed fine to my untrained eye. Went on a 600 km round trip and noticed the vibration didn't go away even at 170 km/h. The vibration made the trip very unpleasant I must say.
    On return I decided to take it in for another wheel balancing after reading some info on an Acura forum where one guy had to get his wheels aligned 4 times before it was properly done. This time I took it to a corner shop instead of the big names I used previously. The mechanic said all tires were out of balance except one, so he balanced them all. After I went for a test drive and what am improvement there was. I only tested it to 130km/h and though there is a noticeable vibration around 110km/h it is only a slight and bearable vibration compared to before the balancing.

I will be re-installing Ranger's torque struts later in the week with a rubber insulator. Unfortunately I may have to get new struts made since the old ones have no room for installing the rubber insulator. Hopefully that eliminates the vibration completely.
    Any pointers for me when installing the torque struts with the insulator would be appreciated
    Thanks all for the input.

So, my struts have been vindicated.

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger View Post
    So, my struts have been vindicated.
    Ranger!
    From the beginning it was never your struts because the vibrations were there that is why I installed the struts to help eliminate it. The reason why I took off the struts was the engine noise in the cabin I reported earlier. So I will be re-installing the struts when I get the time (I think even if it doesn't completely eliminate the remaining vibrations, it will definitely help prolong the life of my front engine mount which is not easy to replace).

Is there anything in particular I should pay attention to when re-installing the struts with the insulator?

Tom's Caddy is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2001 GTP / 2005 CTS / 2008 DTS

Since the balancing helped, I would give it one more try to a place that really offers Road Force Balancing. Our cars need this type of balancing badly, it fixed my vibration at 105km, for the small cost it is worth one more try.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom's Caddy View Post
    Since the balancing helped, I would give it one more try to a place that really offers Road Force Balancing. Our cars need this type of balancing badly, it fixed my vibration at 105km, for the small cost it is worth one more try.
    Not a bad idea. But first I want to try installing the torque struts and see how that helps.
    Another problem is finding a place where they have a Road Force Balancing, and whether or not I can trust their work. considering I had it balanced before at a big name tire company and had no improvement with the vibration.

Tom's Caddy is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2001 GTP / 2005 CTS / 2008 DTS

Quote Originally Posted by redoxy View Post
    Is there anything in particular I should pay attention to when re-installing the struts with the insulator?
    Nah, whatever fits and works for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger View Post
    Nah, whatever fits and works for you.
    Thanks Ranger
    Will get to it this weekend and report back with the results.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.