Timing cover gasket leaking oil. Will eng. stop leak help or hurt?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree8Likes
  • 2 Post By rodnok01
  • 2 Post By 13ir14314
  • 2 Post By cadillac_al
  • 2 Post By Submariner409
  • 2 Post By drewsdeville
  • 2 Post By drewsdeville
  • 2 Post By cadillac_al
  • 2 Post By drewsdeville
Cadillac DeVille 1985 to 2005 including:
1985-1992 Fleetwood, 1993 Sixty Special, All FWD Forum Discussion, Timing cover gasket leaking oil. Will eng. stop leak help or hurt? in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Hey all; I need some advice/ opinions please. As the title states my timing cover is leaking and I am ...
    VEGASELDO91 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1991 ELDORADO (R.I.P.); 1995 Sedan Deville

Timing cover gasket leaking oil. Will eng. stop leak help or hurt?

Hey all; I need some advice/ opinions please. As the title states my timing cover is leaking and I am tempted to use a engine stop leak ( I bought a bottle of BAR'S but haven't used it yet). For those that have used this product or any similar, did it work for you? For those that have actually replaced the TC gasket would you please tell me what is involved in the repair; ie what needs to be removed and or replaced in addition. A mechanic buddy of mine told me the engine stop leak may do more harm than good because it could clog up my lifter(s) and cause severe tapping in the engine or block an oil passage way, is this a common concern?

I honestly plan on replacing the gasket but right now I do not have a whole lot of spare time, the stop leak is just to help temporarally but I don't want to make things worse! Thanks for any advice/ opinions!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

rodnok01 is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 98 DeVille, 97 DeVille d'Elegance
    Don't use the stop leak.
    VEGASELDO91 and VEGASELDO91 like this.

13ir14314 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2002 DHS, 1967 Eldorado
    Do NOT use any type of stop leak or other snake oil in your engine most are a waste of money and will cause more harm than good.

cadillac_al is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Cadillac 78 Seville, 78 Coupe de Ville, 92 Sedan de Ville

Re: Timing cover gasket leaking oil. Will eng. stop leak help or hurt?

I would rather buy oil by the gallon than to risk some clogging chemical in my engine.

Thank you all for your advice! I will do the repair when time allows and will not use the additive. In fact I will return it and use the cost towards the TC and water pump gaskets.

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, chrome it
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

........... and get a real GM/Helm service manual from ebay or www.helminc.com. For instant gratification, subscribe the car to www.alldatadiy.com.

You WILL NEED the correct procedures and torque settings - timing cover gasket replacement (even on a 4.9) is NOT a simple job.

Thanks Sub! I actually work at a car dealership in the service department so I have access to a lift (if needed) and tools to do the job! I also have seasoned techs who can assist me if needed and access to an AllData account through work. I've been able to do a few things on the car myself thankfully with not much trouble, like the water pump, oil pan gasket, tranny service, AC coil and recently a tune up!!

I went to the local Buick, GMC, Pontiac dealer today and ordered the TC and water pump gaskets. Hopefully if work doesn't get in the way and the parts come in I can tackle the task this weekend!

drewsdeville is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): none

I guess it depends on your expectations, but the 4.x timing cover is a no-brainer - the hardest part is dealing with the water inlet behind it. No special tools, no hoops to jump through. Relatively straightforward. Should be simple for a guy that has replaced the water pump and oil pan gasket. The timing cover isn't much further from those two.

Quote Originally Posted by drewsdeville View Post
    I guess it depends on your expectations, but the 4.x timing cover is a no-brainer - the hardest part is dealing with the water inlet behind it. No special tools, no hoops to jump through. Relatively straightforward. Should be simple for a guy that has replaced the water pump and oil pan gasket. The timing cover isn't much further from those two.
    This makes me feel a lot better! I picked up the gaskets a little while ago and just have to get my hands on a crankshaft puller!

Ah yes...perhaps one little hurdle there. I can't remember of it's these E/K bodies or the C bodies, but one some of them you need to lower the subframe a few inches to get the clearance to get a puller on the balancer. It's not much - just loosening the 2 front subframe bolts is enough on the ones that need it. Let us know. Hell, if you have the time, document the job - there are always a lot of questions on this board about how the water pump, timing cover, and inlet sandwich together on these engines, but none of us have bothered to document it yet. I've personally typed it out numerous times, but pictures are worth a lot more.

Good man replacing the gaskets rather than stop leak. You might be surprised at what you find when you take the cover off - the timing cover gaskets like to split and crack when they age, and you'll see why the stop leak would have never worked...

Also, you haven't mentioned it, so I'll suggest that you replace the front crank seal as long as you have the balancer out - and check the seal surface on the balancer: make sure that it isn't worn/grooved, else you'll have a leak anyway.

Also, one last tip - be very careful torquing all of this stuff. The holes in the inlet are finely threaded, and the thin stamped components are weak. Overtorquing will warp everything - especially the timing cover around the studs that are pressed in, and it'll never seal.

Thanks for the advise and tips drewsdeville! I actually have everything I need removed and cleaned and am ready to re install tomorrow! It was suggested that I go ahead and put in a new timing chain kit since I'm there anyway, the tech says there is definitely some excessive play in it but he says it probably wont break. He says the engine will definitely run smoother, although I think it runs pretty smooth now! I forgot to mention I replaced the crank seal shortly after purchasing the Deville last year so it's still in good shape. I was able to remove the pulley without having to lower the frame, removing the RF wheel and the fender well pieces gave me enough room!

I was able to rent the puller from A.Z. for a $75 deposit. After removing the pulley I was able to gain access to the 4 remaining torx bolts holding the timing cover on. when I put the torx socket in to check the size I discovered the two closest to the front of the car were loose and this was where we had confirmed the leak was originating from! I had come too far to chance a simple tightening so the job continues! I will try to get more pics!

Sorry I took so long to update this thread. Initially when we put the Deville back together there were no leaks when then the car idled in park but every time I drove it there was new oil on the ground and also getting on the belt and pulleys! At first we thought it was coming from somewhere in the upper part of the engine but found out it was gushing from the crank area when the engine was revved, and flying everywhere! This is where we went wrong: Apparently the timing chain guide (that's what I was told it's called) was re installed after the timing cover instead of before, allowing the timing chain to wreak havoc on the crank seal!!

Timing Chain Guide:

This is what the timing chain did to the crank seal:

After replacing crank seal with a new one and putting things back together correctly, the Deville is leak free and feels smoother!! I also replaced the serpentine belt due to the excess oil getting on it and it starting to shred.

cadillac_al is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Cadillac 78 Seville, 78 Coupe de Ville, 92 Sedan de Ville

Good deal. That would have leaked way too much oil to keep dumping it in, and the sealer wouldn't have worked either. Cheers to a job well done.

FWIW, that piece is the oil slinger, not a chain guide. It keeps oil on the chain and off the timing cover - and the loss of that function is what made your huge mess! Either way, you've got it taken care of. Well done.

Thanks for the clarification drewsdeville!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.