Sporadic SES light and exotic codes - friend's 2004 DTS - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast
Cadillac DeVille 1985 to 2005 including:
1985-1992 Fleetwood, 1993 Sixty Special, All FWD Forum Discussion, Sporadic SES light and exotic codes - friend's 2004 DTS in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; No. I believe that is the way it is supposed to be. The PCM can only detect faults that are ...
    Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Re: P0174 on a 04 Deville

No. I believe that is the way it is supposed to be. The PCM can only detect faults that are electrically monitored, not mechanical things. "Cruise control inhibit output circuit" sounds like it might be referring to the disengage switch on the brake pedal. Does the CC work?

Manic Mechanic is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2001 DeVille

Quote Originally Posted by MoistCabbage View Post
    FWIW, a Northstar (and most other GM engines) won't start under full throttle. The injectors are disabled if the TPS reads anything over 80% throttle - "clear flood mode".
    Exactly the point of holding it at full throttle after flooding the intake with flammable cleaner while cleaning the throttle. The idea is to let the engine start on and consume all of that "fuel" before adding unnecessary gasoline to an already "fuel" saturated intake and flooding it worse. The high rate of airflow at wide open throttle also picks up any pooling fluid and carries it into the cylinders instead of letting it sit evaporating and flooding the engine for several seconds, as this one did with the friend freaking out about it because he thought it was broken or ruined etc. Doing it twice I said will take care of the rest if you've actually got enough cleaning fluid in there to kill it on the first attempt when you instinctively remove your foot from the throttle as the engine is revving full tilt and it dies due to still flooding.

Clear Flood Mode is almost universal for electronic fuel injection, all makes and models. It's also very useful for starting an engine who's ECT sensor is broken and causing -32* fuel enrichment. Anytime you're cranking a EFI engine a lot and it doesn't start try holding the pedal to the floor for a while. It doesn't work for crap on the older vane air meter Mazda's and Fords though, you have to pull the full pump or injection fuse on those. They keep spraying fuel as long as the vane air meter door is being pulled open.

It's really not a big deal and this is the way I start every engine I clean a throttle on, it starts right up and on to the next task, like relearning the idle speed.

Vernon

c_d
    c_d is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 06 Beetle 2.5L Manual, 08 Audi A3 TDI, 04 DeVille DTS

I didn't know the open throttle trick but will add it to my checklist. One never stops learning

Ranger I asked him to check and sure enough, cruise control is not operational. The light on the steering wheel switch comes on but that's about it. I guess this is an repair attempt for yet another day.

On an off-topic note: how hard is DIY brake service for the rear? I have seen some gorgeous brake rotors in submariners album. Our local mech quotes $270 for back rotors and pads.

MoistCabbage is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    Those are EBC Ultimax slotted rotors, and RedStuff ceramic pads. I have them on my car as well, and they are EXCELLENT brakes. Smooth, powerful, quiet, and low dusting. All 4 corners will cost you just under $500, shipped, from www.placeforbrakes.com.

You can skip the slotted rotors if you don't plan on doing any quick/repeated stopping from "questionable" speeds.

Also, I wouldn't recommend a rear only brake upgrade. Either front only, or all around.

DIY brake jobs are about as easy as it gets. The only specialty tool you'll need is a brake cube (~$10) to turn in the rear caliper pistons (pushing them in will destroy the parking brake/self adjusting mechanism). Or, you could use needle nose pliers.

Quote Originally Posted by c_d View Post
    On an off-topic note: how hard is DIY brake service for the rear?
    No different than any other car.

c_d

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger View Post
    No different than any other car.
    Haha, I don't know whether that is a warning or reassurance to be honest. Could any one point me at good brake rotors and pads for a very relaxed, almost every-day driver - 80% city driving, 20% highway? The EBC brakes look cool and professional but I would suspect that they might be overkill for the driving style of the Deville and $500 is pretty steep for that.

MoistCabbage is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    There're several brands that'll serve the purpose just fine. If you're happy with the car as it is, stay with AC Delco. I'd recommend ceramic pads though.

c_d

Quote Originally Posted by MoistCabbage View Post
    There're several brands that'll serve the purpose just fine. If you're happy with the car as it is, stay with AC Delco. I'd recommend ceramic pads though.
    Thank you!

OEM pads and rotors have always served me well. Check Rockauto and/or Amazon.

c_d

sporadic SES light and exotic codes

Hi guys,

I was bound at work, so I was unable to follow up on my freind's caddy for a little bit. Sure enough, new problems arose. He was complaining about sporadic (NOT! flashing) SES lights at long trips lighting up within the first five minutes of the drive and disappearing after a gas stop. He claims there is no dashboard message and I pulled the following codes (bold ones have not been there 4 weeks ago):

AMP U1064 H - Loss of Communications with DIM
    AMP U1128 H - Loss of Communications with IRC
    IPM B0429 C - Temperature Control #3 rear circuit range/performance
    IRC U1016 H - Loss of Communications with PCM
    MSM B1860 H - Driver Lumbar Vert Sensor Circuit Malfunction
    PCM P1585 C - Crusie Control Inhibit Output Circuit

If I understand what I read at this boards correctly, none of those codes should fire an SES?

PS: Another anomaly - while cycling through the cars menues, the transmission fluid has only 58% life left. He only remembers of having the master cylinder and brake fluid replaced. Is this someting that needs rather immediate action?

rodnok01 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 98 DeVille, 97 DeVille d'Elegance

Re: sporadic SES light and exotic codes

Correct those bold codes will not fire the light.

Only P codes will trip the SES light.

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, chrome it
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

......... and it depends on which one of the Devilles in your previous posts we're trying to diagnose.

The Cruise inhibit code might pertain to the switch on the brake pedal arm - that allows/drops out cruise control depending on brake medal movement.

c_d

There is only one but I should have mentioned that: 2004 Deville DTS.

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, chrome it
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

I merged your other thread with this new one. Keep the same car in the same thread - don't start new threads for essentially the same string of info. Thanks.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.