Sporadic SES light and exotic codes - friend's 2004 DTS - Page 11
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast
Cadillac DeVille 1985 to 2005 including:
1985-1992 Fleetwood, 1993 Sixty Special, All FWD Forum Discussion, Sporadic SES light and exotic codes - friend's 2004 DTS in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Ranger, thanks for still answering :-) The lean condition only occurs when going faster than 70. It is not the ...
    c_d
    c_d is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 06 Beetle 2.5L Manual, 08 Audi A3 TDI, 04 DeVille DTS

Re: Sporadic SES light and exotic codes - friend's 2004 DTS

Ranger, thanks for still answering :-) The lean condition only occurs when going faster than 70.

It is not the plenum. I swapped out a perfectly intact plenum for a totally new one. Both were checked for leaks. I borrowed the duct between air box and TB, it's not that. I changed the gasket of the MAP, not that either. I changed the elbow of the rear PCV? hose, and soapy-water tested all vacuum lines.

Only thing I have not changed is the gasket between the TB and the plenum metal plate but it looked intact. One observation was a sound like a HUGE vacuum leak if my friend is rapidly bringing up the RPM's: for a split second at the TB opening, a pretty loud hiss is audible. I figured that is alright since we are indeed purposely introducing lots of "new" air at this point in time.

I'll get a stethoscope and recheck - do I understand correctly that I am listening for "wind" noises?

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with floor shift)

A vacuum leak will be most noticeable at idle, when the vacuum is at it's highest. It drops as you open the throttle plate.

Yes, a vacuum leak through a stethoscope will sound like wind. Just close your lips and suck in some air with the stethoscope to your lips. it'll sound just like that, or pull the vacuum line off the FPR and have a listen for reference.

The lean condition only occurs when going faster than 70.
    That's odd. Maybe not vacuum related.

c_d

Still no luck. Only thing that was sounding like a vacuum related issue is a slow pressure relief (like slowly getting the air out of an air mattress) when I switch the car off on the right side of the intake manifold by the power steering pump. However, the center line, elbows, and hose are fully intact.

Codes P0171/0174 are still firing sporadic when driving fast (and ONLY when driving fast) and GO AWAY IN THE MIDDLE of a drive. I tried a couple of high-RPM starts as well as WOT's - SES only comes on when cruising > 70.

I also found more issues with the cooling and HVAC. The hollow bolt is leaking a little, about an inch of coolant per 100 miles. I recreated the leak with a pressure tester and have replaced the rubber hose portion with a piece of brand new fuel line. It's still leaking under pressure though. The hose clamp appears to be in working condition but I change it on the weekend just to be sure. What size of a hose should I attach to the hollow bolt?

I also noticed that when the A/C is entirely off, there is a really strong ventilation going through the foot vents. I have never noticed that before and it's really annoying. Is that normal?

Quote Originally Posted by c_d View Post
    Still no luck. Only thing that was sounding like a vacuum related issue is a slow pressure relief (like slowly getting the air out of an air mattress) when I switch the car off on the right side of the intake manifold by the power steering pump. However, the center line, elbows, and hose are fully intact.

Codes P0171/0174 are still firing sporadic when driving fast (and ONLY when driving fast) and GO AWAY IN THE MIDDLE of a drive. I tried a couple of high-RPM starts as well as WOT's - SES only comes on when cruising > 70.
    That all points back to a vacuum leak. Once those codes are stored they should stay stored for at least 3 ignition cycles. Remember, your highest vacuum is at idle. More throttle = less vacuum. At WOT you will have zero vacuum (or very close to it).

c_d

I freaking hate that piece of junk - every time you fix something, something worse happens. /rant and my apologies.

After switching out the coolant surge tank last week, I spend the better part of the afternoon yesterday and today's morning replacing the dry-rotted hoses and old weak hose clamps of the cooling system. We let it cool down for a couple of hours, pressure tested it - it failed miserably. We rechecked all hoses/clamps but couldn't locate the problem. Pressure tested it again and this time we saw a steady dripping of coolant by the mid-engine and through the lower splash shield.

It was too dark to diagnose the mid-engine leak (crossover and gasket have been repaired in January). However, following the leak into the splash shield revealed something appearing to be a micro-fracture at the upper left radiator body (see picture taken from passengers side radiator top just left of the metal mesh (condenser? heat exchanger?) it was dark so the quality is pretty bad). Am I correct in assuming this is another rather expensive repair?

IMG_2760r.jpg

The whole never-ending problems and expensive repairs put my friend over the edge, they're dropping the car. The thing has been sitting in my driveway for almost a month anyway but what I am asking myself is: is it worth repairing or is it time to drop that POJ?

EDIT: After checking alldatadiy, it could be just a plastic tank that is attached to the radiator: http://www.amazon.com/ACDelco-524918...1&s=automotive

But you guys probably can confirm/reject that.

Yup, it's the plastic radiator side tank. It can be replaced, but remember, the other side is just as old and stressed and I've heard that it is not much more expensive to just replace the radiator.

c_d

Man Ranger, thanks for your endless patience! The side tanks are $29 at Amazon but the radiator is around $400. Do I look at the wrong parts?

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, chrome it
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

A note on replacing side tanks as opposed to the whole radiator: That radiator is aluminum and is at least 10 years old (we're still on the 2004 ?). End tanks are sealed with bent aluminum fingers (see your picture) and formed O-ring type seals. If you're set on end tanks only, have a radiator shop do it.... please.

In our (Seville-Devile) HVAC systems, when you turn OFF the A/C the system will continue to passively ventilate the car and also try to maintain the set temperature. The cars have flow-through ventilation and it operates - either active or passive - all the time. A trick is to turn the temps down to 60 (summer) or up to 75 (winter) before you shut OFF the system.

The rear flow-through vents are flapper valves under the trunk carpet sides, down in each lower rear quarter fenderwell.

I have not had to replace a radiator in many, many years so I'm not all that familiar with prices, but I swear I have heard guys mention prices less than half of what you are quoting.

Just a few.
    http://www.radiatorexpress.com/part_...tepCompleted=5

http://www.radiatorswarehouse.com/it...category=39750

http://www.autoradiators4less.com/home.php?cat=1103

And a whole lot more.
    https://www.google.com/search?q=auto...ient=firefox-a

c_d

I only checked ACDelco parts, since I was always shot down when I mentioned I'd put something else in the car. What brands are safe/cadillacforums-approved to go with?

So, just to make sure I understand correctly: if I try to repair it, I should go for a completely new radiator with the side tanks already attached -OR- side tank only but done by a professional shop?

Here's the fracture at 11psi:

IMG_2762r.jpg

Holy shit Batman, that's a hemorrhage, not a leak.
    I couldn't give any advice on brands. This is one of those cases where an A/C Delco part is not all that important. Just be sure to use one with the proper fittings for the trans cooler lines and oil cooler (if so equipped).

If you choose to replace the side tanks it is a DIY job. Once you get the radiator out, you just bend back the perimeter tabs visible in the above picture. Replace the tank which I would assume comes with a new gasket and then simply use pliers or channel locks to bend the tabs back in place.

c_d

I hope I am not on the wrong trail here but to me it looks like the non-problematic side is broken. According to http://parts.nalleygmc.com/images/pa...113G01-021.JPG it's the side with only one big hose connection. Do I really have to worry that much about dis-shaped o-rings and stuff?

BTW: I checked the factory options with compnine VIN decoder but it doesn't say whether I have an oil cooler installed or not. How can I make sure?

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, chrome it
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

I doubt seriously that your car has the V03 RPO option. Look on the RPO sticker under the spare tire cover, and an engine lube oil cooler has 2 lines that exit the top front side of the oil filter adapter and snake around to the front of the passenger side radiator tank - 2 lines/fittings very similar to the transmission oil cooler lines on the driver's side rear of that tank.

From your last picture, you do not have an engine oil cooler.

That entire rectangular plastic end tank is held onto the radiator core with those bent aluminum tabs - there is a seal ring - a silicone rectangular O-ring, if you will, that has to be replaced along with the new end tank. Tackle the job if you wish - it is NOT a cut&dried pry it off and stick it back together job - especially for a first try. You could go to a junkyard, get a couple of old radiators and practice taking them apart.

basscatt is online now Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 89 Coupe DeVille, 95 Sedan DeVille, 02 DHS, 03 SLS

it doesn't say whether I have an oil cooler installed or not.
    How can I make sure?

look at the radiator - along with the big rubber radiator hose -
    you will see 2 steel lines going to the plastic tank on the drivers side -
    these are the trans cooler lines -

now look at the passengers side -
    if you see similar steel lines going into the plastic tank -
    those are the Engine Oil Cooler lines -
    if there are NO steel lines going to the plastic tank -
    you do NOT have an EOC -
    ------------------

I recommend SPECTRA brand radiators - high quality - at a great price -

if you do NOT have an EOC - SPECTRA CU 2491 - $101.95 - INCLUDING SHIPPING -
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/SPECTRA-PREM...3217f9&vxp=mtr

if you DO have the EOC - SPECTRA CU2620 - $123.95 - INCLUDING SHIPPING -
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/SPECTRA-PREM...5b8867&vxp=mtr

c_d

I cancelled he order for the side tank and have the whole assembly coming in - just as advised. Do I have to/should get any other parts while in there?

Hate this car - I personally witnessed it's gremlins today first hand: TPMS was warning me about two tires being low, so I cycled through the in-dash display - they all read 31 ok. Message keeps on coming back every 5 minutes.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.