Sporadic SES light and exotic codes - friend's 2004 DTS - Page 10
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast
Cadillac DeVille 1985 to 2005 including:
1985-1992 Fleetwood, 1993 Sixty Special, All FWD Forum Discussion, Sporadic SES light and exotic codes - friend's 2004 DTS in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Originally Posted by mike5514 Please forgive me if I misunderstand. I have not read the whole post but 9 pages ...
    c_d
    c_d is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 06 Beetle 2.5L Manual, 08 Audi A3 TDI, 04 DeVille DTS

Re: Sporadic SES light and exotic codes - friend's 2004 DTS

Quote Originally Posted by mike5514 View Post
    Please forgive me if I misunderstand. I have not read the whole post but 9 pages to get to the surge tank cap and a leaky plenum
    Hi Mike - it started out with a set of sporadic, totally intermittent codes fired by a 2004 Deville. In between with the help of the fantastic people here, I was finally able to address many of them. The issues buried within the nine pages read like a list of typical weaknesses of the N* engine and the Deville. Since starting this thread, I: repaired several vacuum leaks in the hoses, cleaned the TB, changed the oil pressure sending switch, identified an tampered cooling system "fix", unblocked the hollow bolt and coolant urge line, replaced one totally missing PCV line, cleaned a surge tank floater sensor, replaced the plenum, cleaned and replaced the gasket for the MAP sensor, corrected a non-sealing air filter, bled air out the brake system, convinced an actuator to work, replaced a missing clamp at the brake booster vacuum line that caused a leak when braking hard, etc.

Diagnosis for me as an amateur was next to impossible due to the fluctuating nature of the faults: P171&174 only occurred when travelling > 70, the fluctuating coolant temp only when it was raining hard (not usual in central TX), the A/C actuator issue was totally random, the gurgling of the radiator cap only happened when the engine was still hot from another drive, we had powertrain codes shooting at us when braking too hard. In between, the Damocles sword of a head gasket issue came up frequently.

The reservoir cap seemed to have fixes one issue, the plenum on the other hand turned out not being in need of replacement. I also tried to shoot many pictures in between because I can tell it is very hard for newcomers to grasp what is said here. I hope it helps people like the one who found his coolant reservoir tank sensor disconnected to identify the correct cables from the wiring harness.

c_d

Update: Apparently the Deville was "burping" one massive time today. About an inch of coolant went somewhere, I couldn't tell where but at the time I had a look at it, it does not seem to have leaked.

Furthermore, P0171 & P0174 are back when the car goes faster than 80 mph. New plenum and new manifold gaskets were installed last weekend.

To make things worse, the back A/C is blowing hot air since today. Consequently, I seem to have inherited something occupying one of my parking spots.

Ranger is online now Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

P0171 & P0174 is a vacuum leak common to both banks. Got to be something in, on or around the intake manifold.

Rear temp controls is probably the Aux temp actuator. You probably have a B0429 code.

c_d

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger View Post
    P0171 & P0174 is a vacuum leak common to both banks. Got to be something in, on or around the intake manifold.

Rear temp controls is probably the Aux temp actuator. You probably have a B0429 code.
    Ranger, thank you for your willingness to always help ppl like me. I had the manifold & TB off just a couple of days ago and inspected it for damages. I replaced all gaskets and a damaged rubber elbow, cleaned the joints, replaced the plenum, inspected the hose portion after the MAF, and removed&inspected every single vacuum lines. All appears fine.

Could it be something like a weak fuel pump? I am out of ideas on what components to check.

No. Those codes are a vacuum leak, not fuel pressure related. Get a can of Brakleen, TB cleaner or such and start spraying around the manifold base, every vacuum line fitting, TB and over pressure relief valve. When you hear the RPM increase, you found your leak.

c_d

Where do I find the over pressure relief valve? I saw a trap-door alike contraption in one of your pictures but I don't have that. I checked alldatadiy but they don't go into that level of detail.

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, stick on fender vents
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Look at my albums. The intake manifold changed in 2000 - the manifold overpressure valve is the spring loaded mushroom poppet just under the intake manifold opening to the throttlebody.

Community tab, Albums, the red Seville - 6 pages of parts and diagrams for the 2000 - 2004 engines.

I would suspect either an air leak in the PCV dirty air line or in the intake ducting at or after the MAF. I think the 2004 still had a fixed orifice - not a PCV rattle valve - so that would not be a problem.

EDIT: The intake manifold picture in question is in Album 2 page 2.

Quote Originally Posted by c_d View Post
    Where do I find the over pressure relief valve? I saw a trap-door alike contraption in one of your pictures but I don't have that. I checked alldatadiy but they don't go into that level of detail.
    On the 2000+ it's under the TB.

c_d

Guys, I don't know what to do anymore. I have literally covered the manifold, tb, plenum, and vacuum lines in tb cleaner but there is nothing. I inspected every millimeter of the intake duct after the MAF for aleak, none. No engine reaction at all. I thought I might just be too deaf to hear it so I set my bluetooth OBD on the job but apart from a random +/- 20 rpm there is nothing. Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong?

What I did see though is a slight but persistent oily dampness at the metal parts just under the coil packs. I'd assume that is bad?

And on a side note: how easy is it to remove the driver seat? It is stuck in between my friends setting and mine, making it very uncomfy to drive for either one of us. Seat motor seems to be dead, all other seat functions work though.

I believe there is only 4 bolts holding the seat down.

c_d

Update on cooling system (and more questions of course): After putting in the new cap, around an inch of coolant was lost per week. My hope accounting that to air being purged did not hold. My friend and me went over the engine with flash lights to spot coolant leaks but to no avail. To be absolutely sure, I borrowed a radiator pressure test kit and set it up. The Deville is loosing around 1 PSI per 10 minutes. When chasing down the leak point, I came up with two suspects: the hollow bolt and the purge line connector to the surge tank.

The latter was pretty obvious because I saw coolant leaking down the tank:
    IMG_2705_res.jpg

The hollow bolt connector was the highest accessible point that was wet, with coolant pooling on a piece of metal under it. The other hoses down there were bone dry.
    IMG_2703_res.jpg

What is a simple and easy way of confirmation? Can I simply wrap a tissue around the two spot in question, drive around, and check for wetness? Or am I creating a fire hazard here? And is this a common spot or known for misdiagnose? I'd appreciate your comments.

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, stick on fender vents
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

A cracked nipple at the purge line connector on the surge tank is common in older cars. Amazon automotive, search, $55 or so, shipped, with coolant level sensor. No, JB Weld will not.

Ethylene glycol will not burn ..........

That engine has had other cooling system work done on it - the hose clamps are not GM original, the purge line spring clamp is.

c_d

Thank you Sub. Yes, a leak in the coolant crossover and gaskets was fixed earlier his year. I found the part for around $60. Any advice on the hollow bolt while I'm in there anyway?

The comment about burning was just silly, I account that to being in the Texan sun for too long: I got the pressure tester to not have to deal with hot engine/coolant while testing ...

c_d

The coolant leak is fixed. Now I am just stuck with the P0171 & P0174 code: could anyone provide a suggestion on how to check the over-pressure relief valve? Does it definitely mean I have to take the intake manifold off again or can it be done without that? Thanks :-)

P0171 & P0174 almost always point to the plenum duct. I seriously doubt it is the over pressure relief valve. The way to check it would be to listen with a stethoscope. If it's leaking, it a vacuum leak. Should be able to hear it with the naked ear, but a stethoscope will make it sound like a hurricane. The other thing might be the PCV dirty air line.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.