1999 Deville over heating problem
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Cadillac DeVille 1985 to 2005 including:
1985-1992 Fleetwood, 1993 Sixty Special, All FWD Forum Discussion, 1999 Deville over heating problem in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Hi, I have a 1999 deville that's giving me overheating problems. I changed theromostat, whole new radiiator, still overheating : ...
    ATLMUA is offline Cadillac Owners Member

1999 Deville over heating problem

Hi,

I have a 1999 deville that's giving me overheating problems. I changed theromostat, whole new radiiator, still overheating : ( no signs of blown HG. Any suggestions

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

basscatt is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 89 Coupe DeVille, 95 Sedan DeVille, 03 SLS, two 02 DHS's

Re: 1999 deville over heating problem

Quote Originally Posted by ATLMUA View Post
    Hi,

I have a 1999 deville that's giving me overheating problems. I changed theromostat, whole new radiiator, still overheating : ( no signs of blown HG. Any suggestions
    -----------------------
    check the PURGE LINE -

the PURGE LINE is the only way of expelling air from the Northstar cooling system -

it is a 3/8 diameter hose that goes from a hollow bolt in the thermostat/waterpump housing area of the engine - and plugs onto a nipple on the side of the SERGE TANK -

with the engine running - there should be a gentle - constant flow of coolant - from the engine - to the serge tank -

if there is no flow - the most likely cause is a blockage in the hollow bolt -

follow the hose towards the engine - with the engine OFF - remove the hose - use a straightened metal coat hanger - or something similar - and poke it into the hollow bolt -

the coat hanger should go in about 2 1/2 inches -

once the hollow bolt is cleared - you can briefly start the engine to verify coolant flow - be sure to use some sort of container to catch the coolant so you don't make a mess -

check the hose and serge tank for blockage

---------------

if the PURGE LINE is clear -
    do a BLOCK TEST -

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, chrome it
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Let's move this to the Deville forum. Lots more pertinent diagnosis - and several current threads - running on this problem.

Ranger is online now Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Not another '99.

I'd go right to the block test.

P.S.
    You DO have signs of a HG failure. Overheating and changing multiple components to no avail. If you are looking for coolant in the oil, forget it. Northstars don't do that. Steam from the pipes? Not in the early stages. Look for unexplained coolant loss. Rough cold starts for a few seconds. Lack of cabin heat. Gurgling in the heater core and obviously overheating. You may only have one or two of these symptoms at first. More appear as it gets worse.

blalockchiro is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1997 Deville, 89 Camaro, 07 Silverado
    also check all hoses, heater hoses and there are two small heater hoses that connect to the back of the engine on the driver side under the cc cable, mine was also leaking coolant there as well, biggest thing is pressure check, easy to do....hope this also helps

ATLMUA is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Thanks everyone it was a cracked HG : (.......but now my battery not charging light is coming on, I just bought a battery march 7th, and it completely died. Had alternator, starter checked all good. What could this be?

stoveguyy is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 96 STS, 140k
    Message says no charging but u had car checked and alt IS charging? Well u changed radiator which puts the techs hands very close to alternator wire harness. Not big cable output but small wire input. Make sure it is plugged in. Small wires can break internally and cause intermittent alt on/off condition.

MoistCabbage is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    No such thing as a "cracked HG".

If you do have an HG issue, or a cracked head/block, the charging light is the least of the cars problems.

Peterthemoose is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1999 deville d'elegance

I have the same problem in my 99 deville! Did the block test and it was negative for exhaust fumes, had a new waterpump in 2011 as well as the rad. I'm not losing fluid until the temp climbs to 240 then it blows some out the overflow pipe. The baffling part of my overheating problem is that in the morning the rad is full then I can drive 40 miles and the temp never goer over 195 then all of a sudden it starts to rise when I stop, as soon as i drive again it just gets hotter and hotter until it overheats then once it cools I can go again! Any ideas?? Please...

Re: 1999 Deville over heating problem

Purge line clear?

Yes purge line took a minute or so but it did start to flow.

----------

I just bought this car and I dont think it has the right antifreeze in it, its green and if I remember the Dexcool was a pinkish color?

Quote Originally Posted by Peterthemoose View Post
    I just bought this car and I dont think it has the right antifreeze in it, its green and if I remember the Dexcool was a pinkish color?
    Correct, but not critical. Green works OK. Just change it every 2-3 years regardless of color.

So what else could cause this?

Being a '99, the HG is highly suspicious. Did you do the block test right after an overheat episode?

Yes I did the test as soon as I pulled into my mechanics shop at 250 degrees, Ive been looking for a proper fill proceduer but I cant find a manual, this is probably something small, I hope

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.