2005 Brakes
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Cadillac DeVille 1985 to 2005 including:
1985-1992 Fleetwood, 1993 Sixty Special, All FWD Forum Discussion, 2005 Brakes in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; First of all thanks to all of you and the large amount of advice you guys gave me. And wouldn't ...
    Geo4 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 deville

2005 Brakes

First of all thanks to all of you and the large amount of advice you guys gave me. And wouldn't you know I am back for more advice. On the deville the brakes need to be replace figure I would do the whole thing rotors, calipers and pads . Car has 90 some thousand miles on it and now started to viberate when brake is apply .What rotors, calipers and pads would you guys suggest? Also how can I tell if my deville has heavy duty brakes or not? George

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

JimD is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '98 STS (RIP @ 206,xxx miles)

Re: 2005 Brakes

Quote Originally Posted by Geo4 View Post
    ....On the deville the brakes need to be replace figure I would do the whole thing rotors, calipers and pads.
    Pads I can agree with. But rotors and calipers "could be" overkill.
    Car has 90 some thousand miles on it and now started to viberate when brake is apply.
    Vibration during braking can be caused by an easily remedied uneven distribution of brake pad material on the rotor surfaces (rotors do not warp).

Try this before you throw too much parts money at the vibration.
    Locate a safe section of a lightly travelled road.
    From ~~ 45 MPH, apply heavy braking effort to slow the car to ~~5 MPH without invoking ABS action OR coming to a full stop.
    Repeat 10 times. You will see smoke and smell hot brake pads. Do not be alarmed.
    Drive the vehicle for another 10 to 20 minutes without coming to a complete stop (to allow the pads/rotors to cool to ambient temperature).
    ....Also how can I tell if my deville has heavy duty brakes or not?
    If your vehicle's wheels have 5 bolts/nuts, you do not have duty brakes.

basscatt is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 89 Coupe DeVille, 95 Sedan DeVille, 03 SLS, two 02 DHS's

Quote Originally Posted by Geo4 View Post
    First of all thanks to all of you and the large amount of advice you guys gave me. And wouldn't you know I am back for more advice. On the deville the brakes need to be replace figure I would do the whole thing rotors, calipers and pads . Car has 90 some thousand miles on it and now started to viberate when brake is apply .What rotors, calipers and pads would you guys suggest? Also how can I tell if my deville has heavy duty brakes or not? George
    ------------------------
    a regular Deville does not have HD brakes -

unless the calipers are leaking or sticking -
    you don't need calipers -

with only 90K miles - I doubt you need rotors either -
    you should be able to get your rotors machined for around $10 each -
    on the other hand - new rotors are not very expensive -

for pads - I would recommend ceramic -

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, chrome it
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

and............ remember that the rear brake caliper pistons must be screwed back into the caliper and aligned with the new pad face indents. The parking brake ratchets out the pistons and they will NOT compress back into the caliper.

As posted, if you are a daily driver and have no need for speed or bling, stock ceramic pads and rotors are just fine. But, if you want to be adventuresome, study this website (and all the links on the home page)(Automotive, USA), look at their Ultimax Black Dash slotted rotors and new compound Redstuff ceramic pads. Quiet, glass-smooth (after break-in), powerful brakes with no dust.

www.ebcbrakes.com

www.placeforbrakes.com

I drive an slow hyundai or an excursion. My wife is the driver of the deville her theory is full speed ahead and gas peddle all the way to the floor. So for this speed lady I need to have good brakes on her deville. George

Call Chris in parts at Rippy Cadillac - see what he can do for you in the AC Delco Durastop line of rotors and ceramic pads.

Bone up on how to change everything and the special procedures needed for the rear caliper pistons. The lug nuts get 100 lb/ft torque in a star pattern - all hubs, rotor, and wheel surfaces squeaky clean.

Rippy Cadillac - either over there >>>> or up in Vendors.

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

I agree with everyone else. Forget the calipers. Replace the rotors only if they are badly gouged. Otherwise a light skim cut, cleaning and truing them is all that is needed. A/C Delco OEM pads have always worked well for me.

r1concepts is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Feel free to PM me if you need helping deciding on what brakes to get for your vehicle and I'd be glad to help you out.

Today I took 3 wheels off of the deville on the front ones I took the calpier off and the pads out they are like half or more wore out rusty etc.Rotors dont have any heavy wear spots but are wore pretty good.. the back one look like the front but a tad more pad I didnt take the pads out to see,, Then I drove it and stop at one 1/10 of a mile the stopping was good and smooth.drove a bit more and each stop got mopre viberation through the brake pedal. Then on a county road at 50 miles per hour I applyed the brakes the videration was so bad that the seat viberate .but otherwise the car rides smooth.I feel like the rotors is warped any other ideals I know rotors is not suppose to warped but what else could it be.I tryed the hard braking and that did not help.the calipers look very good no sticking or leaking ..Thanks george

Caddy-EaRL is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2000 Deville DTS 184,000 miles, 91 chevy truck 380,000 miles
    If you have enough thickness on your rotors, have them resurfaced. I don't wanna start any rotor wars, after doing brakes for 26 years as an ASE brake tech it's my contention that rotors do indeed warp. Call it too much runout, out of round, or warpage, it's all the same result, vibration/pulsation when braking. It's also true, though, that friction material transfers to your rotors when hot at stops. Whichever is the case, if the rotors are measured with a micrometer and have enough thickness, machining them will stop the pulsation. If machining's not possible, just buy some new ones. You could also try driving it, get the brakes nice and hot, and make several slow downs without coming to a complete stop. This will spread out any friction buildup that's on the rotors which can cause pulsations.

Has anyone ordered from this web site http://ebcrotors.com/ reason I asked is the prices seem very good for rotors ? Thanks

No idea ........... I got my EBC brake set from www.placeforbrakes.com two years ago - very (very) satisfied on all counts.

You might want to get into www.ebcbrakes.com , U.S., Automotive and read their links. Informative.

Your site shows pricing for front brake sets (Ultimax Black Dash rotors and Redstuff pads) at $281. I got the whole 4-wheel set for ~$460 shipped.

I got the ebc slotted rotors and ebc redstuff pads from place for brakes.the shipment arrived in 2 orders ,rear was next day by usps at no extra charge .Last friday I installed them on the deville and change the oil and filter which was 5w30w 7.5 quarts quaker state and delco filter .We went to Sanibel Island the next day which was June 1.Once we arrived at the island the next morning which was a monday I checked the oil it was still at the halfway mark up the xxxxx. the brakes were just fine no noise or anything and very firm . On our trip we drove 2480.8 miles ,Oil used none.EOL went to 76% my Mpg was 25.2 avg according to the car computer etc ..But all I can say the new brakes are just great..

99.99% of CF members (not me - I get the same oil mileage - ~5,000 miles/quart) would kill to be able to post that !

What was your experience with the new brake break-in ?? A few hundred miles of noise while the coating wore off the pads ? (That red coating is/was a bedding-in abrasive - like aggressive jeweler's rouge). When doing a fast highway stop, do you notice the "whirrrrrrrrrrr !" slot air noise ?

I really liked the brakes and I did get the whirrrrr from the slot and I notice after stop and go traffic I would get the same noise once in while when I applyed the brakes.My break in was some noise but not much .nothing to complain about. I have used oem on all my other cars but these are the best I have had.. thanks to everone

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.