P 0340 - p 0385
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac DeVille 1985 to 2005 including:
1985-1992 Fleetwood, 1993 Sixty Special, All FWD Forum Discussion, P 0340 - p 0385 in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Hey Everyone, So I go to run some errands and the car will not start. Pulled the following codes: P0340: ...
    Slknyk is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2001 Deville

P 0340 - p 0385

Hey Everyone,

So I go to run some errands and the car will not start. Pulled the following codes:

P0340: Crankshaft Position Sensor Circuit Malfunction
    P0385: Crankshaft Position Sensor B Circuit Malfunction

Question is this: Is P0340 a 'generic' code that is on because of P0385 (which is pointing to the B sensor).
    And would this keep the car from even cranking?

Battery is good, I just turn the key and nothing...

Thanks.

Whoops Sorry - 2001 Deville

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

rodnok01 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 98 DeVille, 97 DeVille d'Elegance

Re: P0340 p0385

No, bad ckp's will not keep car from cranking. Were the codes current or history? did you try shifting out of and back into park?

Re: P 0340 - p 0385

Guess that might help!

The codes are
    B0429 Current (standard feature as I understand it )
    U1064 Hist Loss of Communications with DIM
    U1016 Hist Loss of Communications with PCM
    P0340 Current Crankshaft Position Sensor Circuit Malfunction
    P0385 Curennt Crankshaft Position Sensor B Circuit Malfunction
    P0410 Hist Secondary Air Hist (been dealing with this one for about two weeks)
    B3109 Current Low Remote (just changed the battery)

Went to start the car this morning and it won't crank at all. Have had this problem intermittently but it would always "end up" cranking and starting. Not this morning. Nothing. As a former Chevy and Oldsmobile owner who has had bad luck with the theft system on all the cars, I hate to think that is the problem on this one as well.

What is odd is this is the first time I have seen the two crankshaft codes so I was hoping perhaps this was my trouble, but I guess it may be something else.

----------

Ok. Since I first posted this problem, a little over an hour ago, the car all of a sudden started. Viola! Cranked and lit right up.

But now another code has joined the party:
    P0335 Current CKP Sensor A Circuit Performance

Are theses sensors current only because of the starting issue or are THEY the starting issue?

I cannot imagine the problem. Would a bad battery cause this? It shows 12v on the dash while not running. And 14.6 when running.

Edit:
    Now all the pcm codes are history.
    Security light was on when I looked into the car and started flashing until I started it. Security issues?

Ranger is online now Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

A bad or weak battery will cause all sorts of codes and problems. Seeing as the car would not crank, I'd solve that first. You say voltage is 14.6 running. That's good. 12.0 static is somewhat low. What is it while cranking? Use a DVM to check it at the battery cable while someone else cranks it (load test). If it drops real low, like 9 or 10v, you have a dead cell. Also the headlamps will go real dim.

Manic Mechanic is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2001 DeVille

My car has a flaky security module that won't allow the starter to crank some mornings until I've cycle the key a bunch of times. If I hold the key in crank for very long without the starter cranking the engine it will set false crankshaft position sensor codes due to the PCM expecting crankshaft activity but not getting any evidence of it from the crankshaft position sensors. Since the starter isn't actually turning the crank the lack of crank sensor activity is correct and the codes are not. Don't hold the key in crank, if it doesn't start cranking right away cycle the key off and back right away.

You do have security module issues. I haven't tackled mine yet because it will always start eventually, even if I have to turn the key off and back twenty times.

Vernon

Quote Originally Posted by Manic Mechanic View Post
    My car has a flaky security module that won't allow the starter to crank some mornings until I've cycle the key a bunch of times. If I hold the key in crank for very long without the starter cranking the engine it will set false crankshaft position sensor codes due to the PCM expecting crankshaft activity but not getting any evidence of it from the crankshaft position sensors. Since the starter isn't actually turning the crank the lack of crank sensor activity is correct and the codes are not. Don't hold the key in crank, if it doesn't start cranking right away cycle the key off and back right away.

You do have security module issues. I haven't tackled mine yet because it will always start eventually, even if I have to turn the key off and back twenty times.

Vernon
    Thanks Vernon,
    After the car finally did start, this is EXACTLY what I thought might be happening. I just couldn't believe I would have trouble with four consecutive GM PassKey products...

Edit:
    Vernon, once it does start in the mornings, do you have any trouble the rest of the day? I won't. I may have trouble getting it to start the first time of the day, but after that, it will always start right up.

Manic Mechanic is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2001 DeVille

Quote Originally Posted by Slknyk View Post
    Thanks Vernon,
    After the car finally did start, this is EXACTLY what I thought might be happening. I just couldn't believe I would have trouble with four consecutive GM PassKey products...

Edit:
    Vernon, once it does start in the mornings, do you have any trouble the rest of the day? I won't. I may have trouble getting it to start the first time of the day, but after that, it will always start right up.
    This isn't passkey, but yeah, same difference in that they break and cause a no start. I almost never have a problem cranking the rest of the day either. Every once in a while if it's sat all day, like 10+ hours it may act up. But like yours, mine seems to be an overnight cold morning issue also. I get the flashing security light that stays on for that ignition cycle also. I guess I'm going to have to look into the system and see what I can do about it. If I remember correctly my personal scan-tool can't access the Cadillac security module.

Vernon

13ir14314 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2002 DHS, 1967 Eldorado
    Quote Originally Posted by Manic Mechanic View Post

This isn't passkey, but yeah, same difference in that they break and cause a no start. I almost never have a problem cranking the rest of the day either. Every once in a while if it's sat all day, like 10+ hours it may act up. But like yours, mine seems to be an overnight cold morning issue also. I get the flashing security light that stays on for that ignition cycle also. I guess I'm going to have to look into the system and see what I can do about it. If I remember correctly my personal scan-tool can't access the Cadillac security module.

Vernon
    An 01 Deville has Passkey 3

MuRCieLaGo is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): DeVille 2001

Got the same exact issue with the same exact two codes. Was intermittent at first but now it won't start at all! What have you done Slknyk?

----------

I tried boosting it with my other car which was running, without success. Battery has a steady 12.0V, according to the digital dash.

Murcielago,

As Vernon stated above, the codes were "false" because the car "thought" it was running. Once it would start, any crankshaft related codes would go immediately to history.

My problem was the starter solenoid itself. Replaced the starter and haven't had a problem since.

MoistCabbage is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    Deleted.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.