Hello to the forums
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac DeVille 1985 to 2005 including:
1985-1992 Fleetwood, 1993 Sixty Special, All FWD Forum Discussion, Hello to the forums in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Wanted to stop by and introduce myself as a new member. I recently purchased a 2002 DeVille Sedan. It had ...
    Diggums is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2002 DeVille Sedan

Hello to the forums

Wanted to stop by and introduce myself as a new member.

I recently purchased a 2002 DeVille Sedan. It had a ton of leaks which I understand is fairly normal, especially the head gasket. I am just now finishing up replacing all the evil little things and hoping to get the beauty back on the road today.

Before the Cadillac I owned a 2006 VW GTI that I did quite a bit of work on. I sold it and picked up the new land barge because we needed 4 doors (for the bun in the oven) I wanted something American with a little soul and figured a Cadillac would fit the bill. I hear they can be a bit of a challenge sometimes but I have enough knowledge and skill to at least let me fix a good portion of what goes wrong.

This place seems like one of the best resources out there for Cadillac talk. Please feel free to post of any useful reference sites. It would be much appreciated also if ya took the time to show off your own DeVilles, being new the bunch I am not sure which direction I want to go on making some tasteful additions to the car.

J -

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, stick on fender vents
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Re: Hello to the forums

Welcome Aboard !!!

There is already a "Post a pic ..........." thread at the top of this threads page, and more in the Lounge and Northstar Performance. Opinions vary - mine is "Keep it clean, keep it stock". It's a Cadillac, not a ricer.

Sites - as you go through CF looking for items of interest you'll find links to literally hundreds of sites used for everything from what RPO's are in your car to tire brands to GM parts diagram blowups.

Reading ............. Go way up ^^^ in the top black bar and study - don't just skim - study - the Cadillac Technical Archive. Then come back here and read through all the sticky posts just above this one. Then do the same in Discussions, Cadillac Tech Tips and in Engines, Northstar Performance. The Lounge is the chit-chat forum. Study and practice the sticky post ^^^ "How to pull codes" for your car, year, model. The car has its own built-in code reader/memory. All done with the 3 DIC control buttons. ??? RPO, DIC, OLM, ELC etc. ??? - Read the sticky ^^^ "Acronyms". Read your owner's manual - twice. You WILL need a real GM/Cadillac service manual - the Helm original, from eBay or www.helminc.com. Look into www.alldatadiy.com for instant gratification; the GM service manuals plus so much more you need to go to school to find it all in there .............

Thank you Submariner I appreciate the advice! It is funny because I found this site when I was looking up info on an ODB code my car waws throwing. Your reference material is excellent! I will defnitely pick up onf the Helm Manuals, I see many hours crawling in, under and around my car in the near future.

I do plan on keeping the car looking stock, stately and elegant. My VW I built out to look stock on the outside but a devil under the hood. I put a lot of emphasis on the engine and suspension, focusing on track aspects. It was a great car for that. The DeVille will be a different treat. Since we got the baby on the way I am going comfort and convenience all the way around, the 2002 was a great platform to start with.

I am a big car enthusiast and usually keep 2 daily drivers and a project car going. I spend a lot of time on the Car Lounge and Jalopnik, and now hopefully here.

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

If you do not know when the coolant was last changed, change it. This is one time we will tell you NOT to follow the owners manual. Change it every 2-3 years regardless of what the owners manual says.

Good to know! Here in phoenix I tend to keep a close watch on the type of thing anyways. I had an E36 BMW that just couldnt handle it here. Had to throw in a new auxilliary fan, and heavy duty water pump just to keep the old girl happy

New DeVille.jpg

Not the best picture of the new ride, but thats what it looked like when I picked her up.

PS: Hope there isn't a proscription against posting pics in a thread different from the Show Me thread up there ^^^

basscatt is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 89 Coupe DeVille, 95 Sedan DeVille, 03 SLS, two 02 DHS's

Quote Originally Posted by Diggums View Post
    Thank you Submariner I appreciate the advice! It is funny because I found this site when I was looking up info on an ODB code my car waws throwing. Your reference material is excellent! I will defnitely pick up onf the Helm Manuals, I see many hours crawling in, under and around my car in the near future.

I do plan on keeping the car looking stock, stately and elegant. My VW I built out to look stock on the outside but a devil under the hood. I put a lot of emphasis on the engine and suspension, focusing on track aspects. It was a great car for that. The DeVille will be a different treat. Since we got the baby on the way I am going comfort and convenience all the way around, the 2002 was a great platform to start with.

I am a big car enthusiast and usually keep 2 daily drivers and a project car going. I spend a lot of time on the Car Lounge and Jalopnik, and now hopefully here.
    --------------------------
    I do plan on keeping the car looking stock, stately and elegant.
    My VW I built out to look stock on the outside but a devil under the hood.

I have spent YEARS compiling a list of PROVEN Northstar engine mods -
    that I GUARANTEE will either increase horsepower - or gas mileage -
    and I am willing to share that list with you -

everything from cold-air-intakes - to special spark plugs -
    electric turbo units - and secrete fluids - everything in one list -

this is the DEFINITIVE list -
    EVERYTHING between the RED LINES works -
    IF IT ISN'T ON THIS LIST - IT DOESN'T WORK -

READY?

here ya go -

---------------------------------------

----------------------------------------

that's the complete list -

but you say - there isn't anything there -

and you would be correct -

there are no mods that will do anything to increase power -
    or give you better gas mileage -

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, stick on fender vents
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

bass, You need to dig a tunnel in the snow, get away from the front door, and stare at the sun for an hour. Cabin fever is getting to you ........

Hehehe, good to know. Like I said I am not concerned with doing any tuning or performance additions. This car is about comfort and convenience. I had fun with the GTI true. The Northstar has plenty of power for my needs, runs smooth and quiet. It gets a bad rep for some stuff but I am no stranger to it. Had a Fiero packed with one back in the early 00s and thought it was a great engine.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.