2001 SLS ...water pump belt broke
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac DeVille 1985 to 2005 including:
1985-1992 Fleetwood, 1993 Sixty Special, All FWD Forum Discussion, 2001 SLS ...water pump belt broke in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Hello, I noticed for a while my car was leaking coolant. It never overheated but just had to be refilled ...
    bld0702 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2001 cadillac seville sls

2001 SLS ...water pump belt broke

Hello,
    I noticed for a while my car was leaking coolant. It never overheated but just had to be refilled a lot. It seemed to be coming from drivers side, kind of in the middle. A few days ago, it began to overheat immediately. I noticed the water pump belt was snapped and the pulleys were melted. Obviously, these will need to be replaced. My question is, if the water pump itself is bad, would it cause the leaking in that area? It didnt really seem to come from direct area near the water pump, but a little further up than that. Near the overflow tank, but more in front of that lol. I am trying to get idea of what all I should replace.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Submariner409 is online now If it won't run, stick on fender vents
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Re: 2001 SLS ...water pump belt broke

The water pump drive tensioner pulley froze, overheated the belt, which killed the plastic (metal hub) drive pulley TIGHTLY PRESSED onto the left intake cam extension. Special tools and puller to get it off and on.

Many hoops to jump through. Pulleys at www.rockauto.com. Puller/installer either rented from large parts store or use a power steering puller kit from NAPA or Harbor Freight.

Tutorials down in Cadillac Tech Tips. Pictures and diagrams in my albums. Google "cadillac forums northstar water pump drive pulley replacement" and other related topics, always preceded by "cadillac forums .......".

FWIW, the water pump drive tensioner pulley is a weak spot in the system - mine got noisy at 56,000 miles, so I changed it. Dry bearing. $25 as opposed to $225. 30 minutes as opposed to all morning. Pictures in my albums.

thanks!! do you think that a bad water pump caused this since i was experiencing a coolant leak beforehand?

Probably not - exactly where the leak is/was is the determining factor in that equation.

These systems can leak at the w/p, the w/p cover, the water crossover left gaskets, the bottom of the reservoir, the stamped metal thermostat retainer spigot - all within 10" of one another.

Go up ^^^^ to the narrow dark blue bar - click Community, Albums. Go through the two red Seville albums - LOTS of water system stuff in those .

basscatt is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 89 Coupe DeVille, 95 Sedan DeVille, 03 SLS, two 02 DHS's

the leak has nothing to do with the broken belt -
    like Sub already said -
    the broken belt was probably caused by a seized idler/tensioner pulley -

pressure test the cooling system to find the leak -

you can "rent" - for free - a pressure testing kit from autozone -
    or other big auto parts stores -

Thanks a lot! I will do the pressure testing kit. I sure hope it is something easy!

mike5514 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 97sls,06dts

probably the surge tank cap not holding pressure.Mike

Quote Originally Posted by mike5514 View Post
    probably the surge tank cap not holding pressure.Mike
    Mike - Post #1 - the water pump belt tensioner froze, melting the drive pulley and the drive belt broke, overheating the engine. We need to fix that mess, then find his leak.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.