High Mileage oil ? - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes
Cadillac DeVille 1985 to 2005 including:
1985-1992 Fleetwood, 1993 Sixty Special, All FWD Forum Discussion, High Mileage oil ? in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Originally Posted by donwon I know it cost me a couple of mpg in my 4.9. I have a friend ...
    SUPER LAC DEVILLE is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1998 Cadillac Deville
    Quote Originally Posted by donwon
    I know it cost me a couple of mpg in my 4.9.
    I have a friend who talked me into using 5-w-15 Valvoeine and my olm came on about 3500 miles instead of the 5000+ miles with 15-w-40 Rotilla that I normally use.
    Yea I noticed the OLM drops faster
    I realized when I changed my oil that it was obviously to soon... That and the OLM dropped to 99% the same day I drove after my oil change

So when the OLM says change oil it's really time to reset it and go another 3k

Also
    If its costing a few MPG I really dnt see it right now as my avg mpg mostly climbs now unlike it did before I changed my FPR. So I'm good til I see that mpg drop.

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, chrome it
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Re: high mileage oil

Quote Originally Posted by SUPER LAC DEVILLE View Post
    Yea I noticed the OLM drops faster
    I realized when I changed my oil that it was obviously to soon... That and the OLM dropped to 99% the same day I drove after my oil change

So when the OLM says change oil it's really time to reset it and go another 3k
    Ummm, NO ! You could change your oil/filter, reset the OLM, start the car and let it idle for 3 hours and the OLM would drop. The OLM drops much faster in town than on the highway - open road cruising is easy on oil, town driving is murder, and the OLM tells you that.

The OLM in each of our cars is set to calculate oil life for the recommended oil installed in the engine at the time of manufacture - the OLM cannot, will not, won't compensate for you using Mother's Oil Soap or Goose Grease - it will decrement based on the driving conditions, not the type of oil in the engine.

Use the recommended oil for your engine, use the OLM, and don't try to outguess the car. Drive it.

BTW - Owner's manuals specifically caution against running oils like 15W-40 in your engine. It's in black and white.

Quote Originally Posted by Submariner409

Ummm, NO ! You could change your oil/filter, reset the OLM, start the car and let it idle for 3 hours and the OLM would drop. The OLM drops much faster in town than on the highway - open road cruising is easy on oil, town driving is murder, and the OLM tells you that.

The OLM in each of our cars is set to calculate oil life for the recommended oil installed in the engine at the time of manufacture - the OLM cannot, will not, won't compensate for you using Mother's Oil Soap or Goose Grease - it will decrement based on the driving conditions, not the type of oil in the engine.

Use the recommended oil for your engine, use the OLM, and don't try to outguess the car. Drive it.
    Well if oil has changed in quality over time than the OLM can't won't calculate that either

But I do retract some of my statement bc I forgot I topped off a few times so the oil may Appear fine at oil changes too

But wasn't it said that 7k miles was ok for oil change times too???!

7,000 miles, 3,000 miles, 10,000 miles - all OK. Depends on your driving conditions and the average weather.

Lots of cold city driving, short hops, commute less than 15 miles - the OLM will tell you to change the oil/filter at 3,000 - 4,000 miles.
    Mostly suburban driving, warmer weather, long commute - every 5,000 - 7,500.
    Highway road runner - NY to FL, FL to TX - every 7,500 - 10,000 miles.
    In ANY event, at least once a year, mileage be damned.......... and in each case, the OLM will agree pretty close.

................ and this is an OLD gearhead trick: If you can, change the oil/filter immediately after a long road run. All the nasties are suspended in the oil (instead of lying in the oil pan) and contaminants will drain with the oil.

7,000 miles, 3,000 miles, 10,000 miles - all OK. Depends on your driving conditions and the average weather.

Lots of cold city driving, short hops, commute less than 15 miles - the OLM will tell you to change the oil/filter at 3,000 - 4,000 miles.
    Mostly suburban driving, warmer weather, long commute - every 5,000 - 7,500.
    Highway road runner - NY to FL, FL to TX - every 7,500 - 10,000 miles.
    In ANY event, at least once a year, mileage be damned.......... and in each case, the OLM will agree pretty close.

................ and this is an OLD gearhead trick: If you can, change the oil/filter immediately after a long road run. All the nasties are suspended in the oil (instead of lying in the oil pan) and contaminants will drain with the oil.
    So I should change it HOT???
    Bc I do that... Change it when it's hot.

MoistCabbage is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    Yes.

Tonyny is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2003 DTS

[/COLOR]Who told you that was high mileage for your 2003 DTS?----------The oil container....that's why I came here for advice.

Don't believe all the marketing hype you read. Posts #2 and #3.

(Sorry that SUPER LAC DEVILLE hijacked your thread.)

RippyPartsDept is offline Hi, I'm Chris - Please Read My Signature
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille "Bianca" (white/blue, VIN-Y, 160k)

yeah the OLM doesn't know what kind of oil your using or what weight... it assumes you use what they tell you to use (what it has been programmed for)

what the OLM does know is how many combustion events your car has had since the last time the OLM was reset (counts RPM basically)
    and it knows what the temperature of your oil/engine is (colder oil degrades faster)

plug those two variable inputs into their patented, researched, and proven formula and display it as a percentage

boom

OLM
    jounier11 and jounier11 like this.
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at Rippy Automotive
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership - family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946
    We offer all forum members discounts on parts and freight - e: parts@rippyautomotive.com ph: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

(Sorry that SUPER LAC DEVILLE hijacked your thread.)
    I did?

Oops, sorry

----------

Quote Originally Posted by Tonyny
    Who told you that was high mileage for your 2003 DTS?----------The oil container....that's why I came here for advice.
    Ahhh, good thing u popped in CF for the info

Sorry I hijacked your thread as Sub said but I like to get info too!!!

RippyPartsDept is offline Hi, I'm Chris - Please Read My Signature
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille "Bianca" (white/blue, VIN-Y, 160k)

Re: High Mileage oil ?

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php...read_Hijacking
    Thread hijacking is the process of replying to an existing thread with a different topic. This is generally discouraged. It is better to start a new thread if you have a problem that is related to an existing posted issue but clearly different. Posts that hijack a serious thread with off-topic discussion are also tolerated but generally discouraged.
    this instance of thread hijacking is pretty mild since the topic wasn't totally changed ... at least you kept to oil related discussion

going off the rails to other topics would be a quintessential threadjack
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at Rippy Automotive
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership - family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946
    We offer all forum members discounts on parts and freight - e: parts@rippyautomotive.com ph: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

Quote Originally Posted by RippyPartsDept
    https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php...read_Hijacking

this instance of thread hijacking is pretty mild since the topic wasn't totally changed ... at least you kept to oil related discussion

going off the rails to other topics would be a quintessential threadjack
    Like changing the topic to batteries or vehicle weight, right?

I'm trying to see where I got off the oil topic?

MoistCabbage is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    It went from the original question of high mileage oil, to viscosity, to fuel mileage, to the OLM...... to what constitutes as a hijack.

Welcome to Cadillac Forums.

Re: High Mileage oil ?

Don't beat a dead horse - The OP chimed in and got his requested info - even though the thread wandered - color us all guilty.

Ok thanks for the correction

Ill try not to thread jack

Mmmmm, OIL, num num num.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.