1999 Deville Radio gets power but puts out no sound (after amp & sub installation)
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 2 Post By caddev99
Cadillac DeVille 1985 to 2005 including:
1985-1992 Fleetwood, 1993 Sixty Special, All FWD Forum Discussion, 1999 Deville Radio gets power but puts out no sound (after amp & sub installation) in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Just went and had a 2000W Legacy Predator amp hooked up to two 12" Volfenhag 1000W speakers. Still got the ...
    caddev99 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Deville 1999

1999 Deville Radio gets power but puts out no sound (after amp & sub installation)

Just went and had a 2000W Legacy Predator amp hooked up to two 12" Volfenhag 1000W speakers. Still got the factory radio and had it installed professionally with the RCA converter kit. It worked fine when I left the shop, but the next day when I woke up and went to go to college the radio worked showed the time, stations, etc. but had absolutely no sound. I've check and replaced the fuses involved with the radio and factory amp but still nothing. I tinkered with it a bit the next day and took off the positive from my battery to hope to reset the system and get it going again, it worked, until I turned off the car again and the next time I got in I was back at square 1. There's not many people able to come into the shop and I really need to figure it out so I know if it can cause worse problems or not please help!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

basscatt is online now Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 89 Coupe DeVille, 95 Sedan DeVille, 02 DHS, 03 SLS

Re: 1999 Deville Radio gets power but puts out no sound (after amp & sub installation

why not take it back to the original installer -

SUPER LAC DEVILLE is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1998 Cadillac Deville

Re: 1999 Deville Radio gets power but puts out no sound (after amp & sub installation

sounds like the amp may have fried the HU sound board

That much power the wrong way in the slightest can fry transistors, resistors etc

These HU's jus dnt like to be tampered with... even on the back end

System upgrades, from what ive discovered, usually require power and ground wire upgrades to zero gauge so the power can "flow" with less resistance... the smaller the wire the more resistance... the more likely those wires will burn up. That much power is Alien to your Deville so even if u fix the problem your having now, youre very likely to experience more problems down the road if you dont upgrade your wires properly.

If u got a "Professional" shop to do the Install... then you might want to ask them if they did "The Big Three" and what Guage wires they used to Install your New system

The Devilles, older devilles jus werent designed for these type of systems so if it wasnt done with that consideration it can fry your HU and possibly other things that are far more expensive

Ive said this before and ill continue to convey this... First thing I learned about the late 90s Deville is every system is Married to another system... and the Radio certainly is NOT an Independant system

you can youtube "the big three" and get the general idea for serious aftermarket upgrades

jus my 2cents tho

----------

Quote Originally Posted by basscatt View Post
    why not take it back to the original installer -

caddev99 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Deville 1999

I really appreciate the feedback and I am sorry for the late response, been real busy with the car difficulties and college work. They installed 4 gauge power wire and ran tag lines from the rear speakers to the rca converter box and into the amp. After reading your response I looked up the video an realized that my Cadillac was not designed to handle little wattage, let alone 2000W, AND no capacitor. I really set myself up for disaster here, I figured that the installer would have let me know anything like that before he installed it but I guess I give people the benefit of the doubt too much. I learned my lesson though, don't screw with a Cadillac's electrical system.

So I went to get in the car today and the battery was dead, completely drained, and I don't have a clue why. The relay in the back of the rear seats was clicking like crazy, even without the keys in, I pulled the COMFORT fuse out and it stopped. I put the fuse back in because it was in almost perfect shape I am going to switch it out just to be sure. Turned out that the battery was shot and I went and bought a new one it's back to the way it was also, I unplugged the speakers and the amp and took them out. Kind of lost now, I don't know if the battery was shot when it was initially installed or if it was shorted out over time. I really played with fire putting that system in without the proper research.

SUPER LAC DEVILLE is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1998 Cadillac Deville
    Quote Originally Posted by caddev99
    I really appreciate the feedback and I am sorry for the late response, been real busy with the car difficulties and college work. They installed 4 gauge power wire and ran tag lines from the rear speakers to the rca converter box and into the amp. After reading your response I looked up the video an realized that my Cadillac was not designed to handle little wattage, let alone 2000W, AND no capacitor. I really set myself up for disaster here, I figured that the installer would have let me know anything like that before he installed it but I guess I give people the benefit of the doubt too much. I learned my lesson though, don't screw with a Cadillac's electrical system.

So I went to get in the car today and the battery was dead, completely drained, and I don't have a clue why. The relay in the back of the rear seats was clicking like crazy, even without the keys in, I pulled the COMFORT fuse out and it stopped. I put the fuse back in because it was in almost perfect shape I am going to switch it out just to be sure. Turned out that the battery was shot and I went and bought a new one it's back to the way it was also, I unplugged the speakers and the amp and took them out. Kind of lost now, I don't know if the battery was shot when it was initially installed or if it was shorted out over time. I really played with fire putting that system in without the proper research.
    The older Devilles like ours normally need another battery and a fairly large capacitor... I always go with 0 Guage for the main positive and negative wires

I've seen a few that have done fine without the extra battery and capacitor tho

Your main battery and alternator should absolutely be 0 gauge wires when dealing with that much power, 4 guage is jus not sufficient for systems over 1000w

For example, my speaker upgrade alone (5.25 & 6x9s) draw so much more power that my interior lights and head lights dim with the beat of the music

Months ago I hooked up 2 JL 10w3v3's to a simple 500w 1channel amp and it sucked the battery down to 11v in a matter of a min or two... Disconnected it thereafter and RESEARCHED and EXAMINED my audio electrical system... Traced it back to the alternator and battery and concluded that's where to start UPGRADING

The small space to work with under the hood has deterred my efforts since but I've almost got all the Necessary equip to get started... Once I do this its not something ima wanna REDO for any reason so first time needs to be right.

Your installers should know about the Deville... Real installers have atleast 3 or 4 on average in their portfolio

That's always my first question when talking with a "PRO INSTALLER"... How many Cadillacs or Devilles have you done... If they say none or one I don't even continue the convo... They're expertise is limited and if I know more than them about this install, they're wasting my time and eatn my money

I would suggest u research this for a couple months atleast... Look at what others have done and read what others have experienced... YouTube helps a lil but not a lot with the Deville.

IT CAN BE DONE... AND DONE RIGHT, so dnt give up. Jus know how to spend your money and who to give it to when u do decide to proceed with the install

Jus a quick note

A basic upgrade in stock speakers will give u some pretty good sound. I put in Kickers (5.25 & 6x9s) and they're pretty loud even without the wattage they require

Good luck with your venture tho!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.