1999 Cadillac Deville head gasket repair question...
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 2 Post By 2ply
Cadillac DeVille 1985 to 2005 including:
1985-1992 Fleetwood, 1993 Sixty Special, All FWD Forum Discussion, 1999 Cadillac Deville head gasket repair question... in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; First Post! Hello my name is Jason and I own a 1999 Cadillac Deville. It has 88,000 original miles on ...
    2ply is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1999 Cadillac Deville

1999 Cadillac Deville head gasket repair question...

First Post! Hello my name is Jason and I own a 1999 Cadillac Deville. It has 88,000 original miles on it and the car is in perfect condition inside and out......except I believe the HG is blown!
    I have been lurking on this site reading various posts shocked at the problem this car has.
    I have 2 questions:

First my cars symptoms are the low coolant warning keeps coming on every 3-4 weeks. I am using Dex and I fill it 1/2 way up like your supposed to and it's just drinking it. I also had to put 5+ quarts of oil in the car since my last oil change as the oil low light came on and it was near empty. I do not see any evidence of a coolant leak and no white dried spots on the engine anywhere where cooland could be leaking and burning off on my engine. I have yet to have my coolant checked for exhast, but I found out exhast is not always present if it's a HG on this car. Do these symptoms soung like a HG?

Secondly does anyone know of anyone around the Dayton Ohio area that does quality HG repair. Are the studs still the best way or should I start with serts? What is the most cost effective method and how many miles does it last on average? I am ignorant to this issue and stressed. Should I keep driving it and adding Dex or park it until fixed? Any help would be greatly appreciated Thanks!

----------

BTW I have never had any overheating warnings since I have owned this car. I am not the original owner I have been Bamboozled!!! I think I read there wont be a warning I need to watch my coolant temp going over 200. Is that correct? Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Manic Mechanic is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2001 DeVille

Re: 1999 Cadillac Deville head gasket repair question...

So far all you've described is a worn out radiator cap and an oil leak.

Vernon

Wow that would be so awesome! So that could be the problem? Thanks!
    swanga and swanga like this.

I've discussed this a bunch of times here because there's such a propensity for the Northstar to loose it's head seal when a bolt pulls threads that everybody automatically fears the worse when coolant starts disappearing without a trace. When in reality a cap that no longer holds pressure is BY FAR the most common cause of mysterious coolant loss on ALL cars, Cadillac's included. I'm a professional tech and I replace about one cap and it's done a week. It just steams away as you drive and you never see a leak. Try a new 18 lbs. cap (think Delco) and see if that doesn't stop your coolant loss. You have no other symptoms of a blown head seal at this time. The oil loss is a problem though, do you see that?

Vernon

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

When I first read the title I thought here we go again, another '99, but like Vernon said, if you are not overheating you might just have an external leak. Maybe a cracked radiator side tank. Remember, the front side is blocked by the condenser so it's almost impossible to see and a slow leak would probably evaporate before it dripped.

205-215 is the normal operating temperature. You won't get a warning until somewhere around 260 if I remember correctly (maybe 240).

The engine is spec'd for 7.5 qts of oil. You should get a CHECK OIL LEVEL message at 2 qts low (5.5 left in the sump). That's just about where the oil drops off the dip stick. If you added 5qts, you are either overfilling it (correct level is 1/2 way up the hash marks on the dipstick, NOT the MAX mark), or your oil level sensor is inop or unplugged.

Thanks for the reply! I am going to put a new cap on it tomorrow and see if it works! I can't find where the oil is going but I was lazy and paid a quick oil change place to do the work and I suspect everything wasn't tightened down well. I'm gonna have to get dirty and find out! Great I must of overfilled it...I will do something about that tomorrow as well. Thanks guys! I will reply back and keep you updated! If it's an external leak hidden behind the condenser what do you recommend to find out for sure that is the problem? Thanks!

To find a coolant leak the best method is to use a pressure checking tool kit. It will have a hand air pump with a built in pressure gauge that attaches to the filler bottle or radiator cap opening. You fill the system all the way up then pump air up to the system's pressure rating and start looking for coolant leaks,dripping or similar. If it is a cracked tank coolant will start to drip and puddle under it etc. If the tank is cracked up high like mine was you'll have to make sure the system is completely full and run a little to purge air out of it first. Just run the engine with the cap off for a while and if the bottle level drops shut it off and refill it with coolant or water before pumping it up with the leak checking tool. You can probably rent one from an auto parts store. These tools are over $150 outright. We charge $35 to do it as it's .4 of an hour for almost all cars.

Vernon

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Quote Originally Posted by 2ply View Post
    Great I must of overfilled it...I will do something about that tomorrow as well.
    Just let it burn off the excess. Do some WOT and keep it at the proper level and I'd bet you'll see the oil consumption drop.

Read up on oil consumption and full throttle acceleration in the Technical Archives at the top left of the forum page.

Great! After work I'm gonna read up on both!
    I have never been to a forum with such helpful members! Thank you!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.