Need Help ASAP! Dont wanna send it to the crusher!! - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree1Likes
Cadillac DeVille 1985 to 2005 including:
1985-1992 Fleetwood, 1993 Sixty Special, All FWD Forum Discussion, Need Help ASAP! Dont wanna send it to the crusher!! in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Its definitely getting spark on all 8 cylinders. Ill try the ICM but is there anything else before i go ...
    POS-DEVILLE is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 99 Deville

Re: Need Help ASAP! Dont wanna send it to the crusher!!

Its definitely getting spark on all 8 cylinders. Ill try the ICM but is there anything else before i go out and spend $200 on a new one?
    If the CKP is bad would it throw a code while cranking? Same thing with the CMP??

----------

have already cleaned and checked the MAF top to bottom inside and out

yes all plug wires are in the correct location

Ranger is online now Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

CKP sensors SHOULD set a DTC, but don't always. Not sure about the CMP sensor.

Before spending $200 on an ICM, I'd get one much cheaper at a bone yard. Generally speaking they are pretty reliable so I wouldn't be to worried about getting one there.

mike5514 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 97sls,06dts

Cam Position sensor sets the inital timing there are DMM checks for it Mike

Quote Originally Posted by mike5514 View Post
    Cam Position sensor sets the inital timing there are DMM checks for it Mike

im assuming your talking about the on board check?

will it not throw a code if it is bad?

also would the cps cause a no-start?

it wants to start but it almost seems like the ignition timing is off just enough for it not to fire....

drewsdeville is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2011 Crown Vic LX

I wouldn't go nuts checking this, that, and the other thing when you are still getting a MAF code while it's acting up. That's your only clue, use it - don't ignore it by seaching out other leads that don't exist.

Someone with the diagnostics tree for your code might be able to help you more...

mike5514 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 97sls,06dts

A bad CPS should set a P0335 code and the engine will start if the crank shaft position sensors are good but the PCM will default to non sequential fuel injector operation. Health of the CPS can be checked also with a digital multimeter.

A MAF can also be checked with a DMM battery voltage on terminal c and for ground at terminal B. Mike

Manic Mechanic is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2001 DeVille

What is the MAF code that sets when it starts?
    How does it run when it starts? Do you have to hold the throttle on it the whole time or will it idle. And will it stay running on it's own, for how long?
    Did you buy it this way or did it go bad while in your use? Was anything done to it under the hood prior to the problem or it just developed? Or do you not know anything about the history like an auction car?

Vernon

Quote Originally Posted by Manic Mechanic View Post
    What is the MAF code that sets when it starts?
    How does it run when it starts? Do you have to hold the throttle on it the whole time or will it idle. And will it stay running on it's own, for how long?
    Did you buy it this way or did it go bad while in your use? Was anything done to it under the hood prior to the problem or it just developed? Or do you not know anything about the history like an auction car?

Vernon
    code says MAF perf
    when it starts it runs poorly and i have to keep it revved or it will die. will not idle at all and it only runs (while revving) for 1-2 min then slowly the revving doesnt do anything and it dies. then 3-4 days later it with do the same thing. otherwise it just cranks and tries to start.

bought car the way it is, previous owner said it was running then just stopped and she parked it and hasnt touched it since.

nothing done under hood prior to the way it is now

Manic Mechanic is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2001 DeVille

I meant the Code's number PXXXX. I could look it up but helping takes enough time. I can use the code to search a database.

Most likely the catalatic convertor is clogged up. I'm not sure of that, but it is easy to check. Take the front o2 sensor out to make a pressure release hole and see if it starts and runs like normal. You can run it too long like that but it will reveal if the convertor is the problem.

Vernon

Quote Originally Posted by Manic Mechanic View Post
    I meant the Code's number PXXXX. I could look it up but helping takes enough time. I can use the code to search a database.

Most likely the catalatic convertor is clogged up. I'm not sure of that, but it is easy to check. Take the front o2 sensor out to make a pressure release hole and see if it starts and runs like normal. You can run it too long like that but it will reveal if the convertor is the problem.

Vernon
    dont know the code... i cleared it and it hasnt started back up since...says no codes returned when checked now

i pulled the o2 sensor and then pulled the cat off (pain in the ass!) and nothing changed

i got curious and switched each plug wire around on each coil pack and it does the same thing...same sound and everything which makes me believe that it is the ignition timing that is messed up..

so what all does the ignition timing consist of?
    coil packs.... has spark
    cam position sensor....no code
    crank position sensor(s).....no code
    ignition control module....no code

what am i missing?

Ranger is online now Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Are you sure the plug wires are on correctly (proper firing order)?
    Attached Images

yep looks just like that

no junk yards around me have the icm, ordering one off ebay i guess... hopefully that fixes it!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.