Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Got a couple questions to ask... 1995 Deville tune-up and gasoline

3K views 16 replies 12 participants last post by  Sheryllynne 
#1 ·
I've got two buddies that are both automotive technitians and work on various brands. I have been meaning to change my wires and plugs so I know for sure when they were replaced, the wires are Packard brand and I am told they are the OEM brand used in my Deville. Tech A says these could very well be the original plug wires; Tech B says there is no way the original wires would have lasted this long by time nor mileage (144,000). If the wires have been replaced before an excellent job was done on the routing because all plastic clips and sheilds look untouched!
So does anyone think the original wires could have lasted all this time/mileage?

Another thing to note is that the Deville had Bosch platinum spark plugs in so I know those have been replaced before, I just replaced those with AC Delco double platinum #41-902.

Also Tech B says that I may be wasting money by using premium fuel in a vehicle that has so many miles as the compression ratio is lower now. I'll admit I have used regular fuel in the Deville recently and have not noticed any negative results. Does anyone think I am setting myself up for problems in the future though? TIA! 4.9 liter engine.

#2 ·
The original plug wires were AC Delco.

The 4.9 was designed to run on 91 octane. Mileage has absolutely no effect on an engines octane requirement. That said, some members do get away with running 89 and 87 octane. It depends on driving style, atmospheric conditions, and the mechanical state of the engine. Keep in mind that the 4.X engines do not have a knock detection system. If knock does occur, the car will do nothing to stop it.

#5 ·
Re: Got a couple questions to ask...

Thank you for your responses! The wires are indeed numbered so they were never replaced before. I just finished installing new AC Delco wires, that plastic heat sheilding around the original wires just dicenergrated in my hands! I was able to reuse most of the retaining clips however!
It's great to see the original wires can last so long, all 8 wires came off complete and intact!

#6 ·

192,000 miles on my Sedan Deville and I'm pretty sure the wires are original. They do have the numbers on them.

Yeah, I know, they're due for replacement. But I haven't really had any issues yet and there are other, more pressing matters.

#7 ·

Heh, heh ............ Do some Google work to find out how Albert Champion and Dayton Engineering Laboratories COmpany morphed into AC Delco-Remy Packard and so on and on. DELPHI has an interesting GM lineage, too................. Champion spark plug and aftermarket oil filter supplier is in there, too.

As drewsdeville posted, Packard is/was a division of GM/AC Delco. Packard 440 copper stranded ignition wire was the darling of hot rodders in the 40's and 50's. Nowadays it would make your radio sound like a chain saw. (Remember - in the 50's a radio (AM only) was an option - as was a heater ! )

............ and what was that little triangle at 640 on the AM radio dial ?????

This link is only the tip of the iceberg ........... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ACDelco

#8 ·
My Deville went 195k miles on the original Packard plug wires. I ran Bosch Platinums and regular gas too and it was the best running car I ever had. It would have went a lot farther but got wrecked by a drunk. I didn't dare to replace those nice wires with cheap replacements. I haven't seen any new ACDelco wires in a while so I don't know if they are still the same quality they used to be but probably the best you can get besides MSD.

#9 ·
Take a look at the several types of Taylor wire. With a little creativity you could use Taylor wire and a set of original AC Delco coil boots and plug tips. MSD can be bought in bulk, too.

The main problem with aftermarket wires is the boots don't fit correctly. Bigger wire and different resistances DO NOT equate to a "hotter spark". That's strictly advertising hype. Red spark plug wire is good for 5 hp at the Saturday evening drive-in hood-open lineup. Blue is better.

#16 ·
Does anyone ever do the math on what fuel costs? How much are you saving when you use Regualr VS Premium? Lets do some math together people!

If you fill your tank up at a half tank like I do that’s about 10 gallons.

10 gallons at $4.09 per gallon is.... $40.90

10 gallons at $3.89 per gallon is.... $38.90

Wow I saved $2 dollars once a week for $104 dollars per year...

Your engine as it gets older builds up deposits in the combustion chamber which actually raises compression levels slightly and the fuel mixtures have changed since the late 90's adding more and more alcohol to the mix causing older engines to not run we well unless they have a bit more octane. Either way you are not saving a damn thing by using regular fuel and probably costing you the same or slightly more if you have to step on the peddle a bit harder to get the same amount of passing power/hill climbing power.

I delivered pizza for years when I went to college and kept tight records on fuel consumption and I found that I would brake even using premium over regular in most cars.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.