Cadillac Owners Forum banner

looking at a 95 deville.....

3K views 23 replies 8 participants last post by  brougham 
#1 ·
hey guys i'd like your thoughts on some things. i went to look at a 95 deville with the 4.9 this morning. 116k, good int, decent ext. owner said (and it looked) like it sat for a week or two.when started, cranking was fast but engine took maybe 4-5 seconds to catch. took it for a drive about 4-5 miles, ran strong, no ses light but the brake light and traction light was on. pulled up the codes and got these:

P016 (E016) ......................................... Voltage Out of Range [ALL SOL]
P017 (E017) ........................................... Left Oxygen Sensor not ready
P052 (E052) ....................................................... PCM Memory Reset
P053 (E053) ........................................... Distributor Signal Interrupt
P071 (E071) ................................................ Intermittent MAP Signal
(those first 5 codes where h, or history)

the following were current codes:
T037 ........................................ LR Wheel Speed Sensor Continuity Fault
I052 ....................................................... Keep Alive Memory Error

now my concern is this,especially for the history codes: could the owner reset the computer and after a set amount of miles, the ses light pops on and the history codes become current? and what is the cause (and or fix) for the p016,p052,p053 and i052 codes? thanks in advance!

See less See more
#4 ·
could the owner reset the computer and after a set amount of miles, the ses light pops on and the history codes become current?
Not sure I am understanding your question. History means that the fault was not detected in the last 3 ignition cycles. If the owner clears the codes (resets the computer as you call it), they are gone. They will return as current if and when the fault is detected.

P016 is suspicious as low voltage can wreak havoc with these systems and "can" cause false codes. P052 is either because battery power was pulled or low voltage as mentioned. At very least you probably need a new O2 and MAP sensor.

Long crank time could be low fuel pressure or just in need of a tune up.

T037 is most likely a bad wheel speed sensor. It is integral to the hub and bearing assembly so you are going to have to replace that unless it is simply unplugged (unlikely).

#5 ·
you guys, thanks for the replies.

stoveguy: the guy first listed 1800, then 1500 then i went to see it and he came down to 1100. its clean and runs out good.

bigm57: yes i hear that. thanks man!

ranger: oh snap! a response from one of legends (no joke). thank you for the explanation of the codes. my initial question comes from this scenario: lets take another make of car, say a vw jetta. say this jetta throws a code for a o2 sensor and the ses light comes on. you want to sell this jetta but you dont want the potential buyers to see the ses light and know it needs work. so you use a code reader to "reset" the computer to clear the codes and the ses light wont come on for approx 50 miles. the potential buyer purchases the car, thinking it has no codes to set off the ses. then 50 miles later the ses lights come on.

#6 ·
Yes, that's possible. Some codes will reappear immediately, others will not set until one "driving cycle" is complete. In one complete driving cycle, every monitored system/component operates, allowing OBD to detect any problems, and set codes. A driving cycle can be completed in less than an hour, or several days, depending on how, and under what conditions the vehicle is driven. There is no particular mileage that must be driven.

GM driving cycle:
http://www.obdii.com/drivecycle.html

#9 ·
Yes, that's possible. Some codes will reappear immediately, others will not set until one "driving cycle" is complete. In one complete driving cycle, every monitored system/component operates, allowing OBD to detect any problems, and set codes. A driving cycle can be completed in less than an hour, or several days, depending on how, and under what conditions the vehicle is driven. There is no particular mileage that must be driven.

GM driving cycle:
http://www.obdii.com/drivecycle.html
That's OBDII, and doesn't exactly apply here. OBD1 operates quite differently - the OBD1 system doesn't actually use what OBDII calls "drive cycles", nor does it constantly monitor all systems like OBDII does - which is why it wasn't nearly as comprehensive or reliable.

#8 ·
update: i bought the deville. and as i suspected, about 20 minutes into a drive on the highway (and about 30 miles of total driving since i bought it) the ses light came on. i checked the codes and got a current p017--left o2 sensor not ready. seems like the mpg is lower on the highway for a deville too between 15 and 20mpg at 55mph. so i guess a o2 sensor is in order. but i have a question,-- i replaced a non working wiper motor last night, but i have yet to put the wiper arms back on. is there a special procedure to put the wipers back on to have them in sync and to park at the correct spot? thanks!

----------

almost forgot, one more question. is this left sensor the upstream sensor before the cat? thanks!

#14 ·
but i have a question,-- i replaced a non working wiper motor last night, but i have yet to put the wiper arms back on. is there a special procedure to put the wipers back on to have them in sync and to park at the correct spot? Install them in the position you want them when in the park position.

almost forgot, one more question. is this left sensor the upstream sensor before the cat? thanks!
I believe you only have one O2 sensor (#4).

http://www.gmpartsgiant.com/Page_Pr...orIndexID=03&minorIndexID=6K03-001&SortKey=54

#13 ·
The codes will come up or become current once the computer senses a problem and become history if they've eiter been fixed or the readings from whatever sensor it was looking at falls into it's proper range.

The 052 codes mean the battery was disconnected at some point. The coltage out of range and long cranking could just be from a weak battery or if the car has been sitting for a while. Deal with the other codes as they pop up.
Get a set of factory service manuals for it on ebay. They go into the exact testing procedures for everything and will save guess work and replacing parts for no reason.

#20 ·
ok i put the o2 sensor on (the front one) and all seems well. i wrote earlier i replaced the bad wiper motor the day before yesterday. this morning i installed the wipers, and when i turn the wipers off, the wipers park on the winshield (it parks at its furthest point of travel). maybe you guys could tell me what i'm doing wrong. thanks.

#23 ·
ok i fixed (or corrected it) it the day before yesterday. what i did is disconnected the motor from the wiper arms, put the motor to the off/park position, rotated the the wiper arm assembly to the park position, then reconnected the assembly to the motor. and it worked. i think i read some previous posts about using a battery puller to remove the wiper arms and that worked out really well also. thank you all for your help though, i really appreciate it!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.