Cadillac Owners Forum banner

2000 DTS Multiple Codes; What do they mean?

4K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  basscatt 
#1 ·
I Just bought a 2000 DTS. The guy I bought it from said that it has just died while going down the road a few times. It has started up again right away each time. In the mornings it has also, at times not started at all. Other times the key won't shut all the way off, the engine will shut off but all power is left on, therefore battery goes dead.

I would guess 335, 385, are Crankshaft positioning sensors and maybe need replacing. If this is correct I need advice on how to do this.

Same with 340, camshaft positioning sensor.

I have no clue what 601 means
I don't know what TCC means either for 741 or 1860. Any help would be appreciated .

Here are the codes that come up with my OBDII reader.

P0335 - CKP Sensor A Circuit Performance
P0340 - Camshaft Position (CMP) Sensor Circuit
P0385 - Crankshaft Position (CKP) Sensor B Circuit
P0601 - Control Module Read Only Memory (ROM)
P0741 - TCC System Stuck Off
P1860 - TCC PWM Solenoid Circuit Electrical

See less See more
#2 ·
Re: 2000 DeVille DTS Multiple Codes; What do they mean?

The first three, like you said, indicate the CKPs need replaced. You can do it on your own, just remove the air deflector from the bottom front of the car, remove the oil filter adapter, and have at it. If you don't already know both CKPs are on the front of the engine. A Factory Service Manual would be a fantastic idea if you plan on doing a lot of work on your Cadillac.

The fourth I don't think is significant, but I'll let the well-versed guys answer that.

As for the last two, you have a bad TCC solenoid. It's in the top part of the left side trans cover. It can be done on your own, but the job requires patience. Youtube "Cadillac DTC p1860" for a preview of fun to be had.

Lastly, Congratulations on the new (to you) Cadillac! :thumbsup:

Good luck, and keep us posted!

#3 ·
Re: 2000 DeVille DTS Multiple Codes; What do they mean?

Replacing the two crankshaft position sensors is the first step in correcting the P0601 in this case. Without the crank sensor codes it would indicate a defective PCM. But beware that replacing the crankshaft position sensors isn't a fool-proof stroll in the park. There are specific upper and lower sensors and the two plugs are also specific. Any mixing and matching will cause a no start. Check the new sensors while they are still in the boxes and make whatever identification notes or marks you'll need to keep track of them until install. Clean and note or label the wiring plugs before disconnection so they don't get mixed up. If you get good ones like Delco they are color coded black and grey.

Every DeVille in this forum had, has, or will have TCC (torque converter clutch) codes. Therefore there are hundreds of previous posts with questions, answers, part #'s, procedures, etc. A bit of searching for the more popular ones will give you the information you need to decide how to go after those two codes.

Vernon

#4 ·

Attachments

#8 ·
Hello everyone! I just had my 2001 Cadi DTS engine replace with a 2002 Cadi DTS engine. The car runs good, but now I have all those codes. The mechanic told me that I he could not erase the codes, but everything was done properly. In fact, I have 12 different codes. How can these codes be erased with the Actron OBD II pocketscan or should I just take the car to the dealer. Thanks in advance for your response.

#9 ·
==============================
you do not need an external scanner -
Cadillac already supplied one with the car -

to check for codes with the on-board scanner -
go here and read the ENTIRE post -

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forum...ncluding-1985/138257-how-pull-codes-dtcs.html

if you have any codes - post them here -
ALONG WITH THEIR DEFINITIONS -

-----------------------------

you can "clear" the fault codes -
but if they are "CURRENT" - they will come right back -
clearing codes does not fix anything -

codes are our friends - they tell us what is wrong -

---------------------------

I have all those codes

P0741 & P1860 - when displayed together -
points to a failed torque converter lock-up solenoid inside the transmission -

the other codes are self explanatory -

defective crankshaft position sensors -
there are 2 of them - mounted on the engine -

defective camshaft position sensor -
there is 1 of these - mounted on the engine -

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.