Interior lights problem - 2001 DTS
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac DeVille 1985 to 2005 including:
1985-1992 Fleetwood, 1993 Sixty Special, All FWD Forum Discussion, Interior lights problem - 2001 DTS in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; My inside lights wont come on when I open the door but they come on when I turn on the ...
    lowdown0614 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Interior lights problem - 2001 DTS

My inside lights wont come on when I open the door but they come on when I turn on the switch in side!! 2001 dts deville,,any suggestion?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Manic Mechanic is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2001 DeVille

Re: lights

An answer depends on whether or not the interior lights come on when you open any other door on the car other than the door. Do they? This belongs in the DeVille forum. Sub will come along and move it shortly.

Vernon

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, chrome it
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Re: Interior lights problem - 2001 DTS

Big Brother is watching .............

Manic Mechanic is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2001 DeVille

The OP PM'ed me and said that the lights don't operate for any of the doors. I asked him about the fuses, it's in the rear under seat fuse box and it's a 10 amp labeled INT LP. If it's good look for the small INT LP relay and swap it with an identical one from another near-by location in the box. If the fuse and relay don't change anything go to Diagnostics.

Since they come on with the switch the most common fault is the ambient light sensor, located on the top of the dash at the base of the windshield. It usually looks like a dark blue gum-drop. The way the Caddy is programmed if it is light outside then the lights don't come on when you open the door. Assuming the OP isn't concerned about them not working during the day and they don't come on at night also, a quick check of the ambient light sensor would be to cover it up with a heavy dark paper or towel etc. and with the auto headlamps (twilight sentential in Caddy-speak) set to come on your exterior lamps should come on once the sensor is in the dark. I'm not 100% sure it's still not a bad module because you are supposed to use a scan tool to see what the sensor is reporting but if the head lights start working with the sensor covered then it does still work and you need to check the RIM module.

The module that controls the interior lights, door locks, and rear self leveling, and possibly other stuff is the Rear Integration Module. It is labeled (RIM) by the in dash scanner, use the built in scanner (instruction in the sticky att the top of the forum) to look for any codes in the RIM, esp. communications codes with other modules. Since I've already had to replace mine when my door locks, lights, and other things quit I'm quite familiar with it. To access the RIM module you'll need to be able to work on your stomach laying head first in the trunk. Obtain plenty of light and get in on the RH side and pull the gray truck liner material away from the back of the rear seat on the right side. You will see a black plastic cover plate as big as the opening with several modules (plastic boxes with wire plugs) snapped to it from the other (front) side. There are many holes in this cover to see through and molded in clips to hold things onto it. The RIM is at the bottom right, and about the size of a digital camera, a man's camera, not one of those tiny purse jobs but not as big as a professionals 35mm. If you're handy you can unplug the connectors with simple tools like a pocket screw-driver to push the plug latch and a few tugs and wiggles on the plugs. After you get the plug off you can use your fingers through the holes to unsnap the RIM and pull it through one of the bigger holes into the trunk, then pull the plugs and wires that go to it though a hole and plug it back in to start making checks at the plug connectors wires. At the Rear Integration Module (RIM), ground the Dark Blue wire at pin B10, connector 2, to a good body ground or the BAT - if you have enough test lead wiring. Be aware there are two dark blue wires there, the wrong one is B3, connector 1. If the lights do not come on, look for an open in the Dark Blue wire. Ask me where it goes at that point (to avoid making this novel any longer).

If the lights do come on when grounding B10, verify that the Rim has communication with the other modules and good power/ground. If so, replace the RIM. Ask me how to check the powers and grounds for the RIM at that point.

Vernon

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with floor shift)

Quote Originally Posted by Manic Mechanic View Post
    The OP PM'ed me and said that the lights don't operate for any of the doors.
    To the Op. For future reference, this is not what PM's are for. This should have been posted in the public forum so everyone can comment and more so, so everyone has access to the trouble shooting and solution. Many people find answers to their problems via the archives without even posting a question.

Manic, thanks for answering in public. It may help someone else in the future.

blairman is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2000 deville

Quote Originally Posted by Manic Mechanic View Post
    The OP PM'ed me and said that the lights don't operate for any of the doors. I asked him about the fuses, it's in the rear under seat fuse box and it's a 10 amp labeled INT LP. If it's good look for the small INT LP relay and swap it with an identical one from another near-by location in the box. If the fuse and relay don't change anything go to Diagnostics.

Since they come on with the switch the most common fault is the ambient light sensor, located on the top of the dash at the base of the windshield. It usually looks like a dark blue gum-drop. The way the Caddy is programmed if it is light outside then the lights don't come on when you open the door. Assuming the OP isn't concerned about them not working during the day and they don't come on at night also, a quick check of the ambient light sensor would be to cover it up with a heavy dark paper or towel etc. and with the auto headlamps (twilight sentential in Caddy-speak) set to come on your exterior lamps should come on once the sensor is in the dark. I'm not 100% sure it's still not a bad module because you are supposed to use a scan tool to see what the sensor is reporting but if the head lights start working with the sensor covered then it does still work and you need to check the RIM module.

The module that controls the interior lights, door locks, and rear self leveling, and possibly other stuff is the Rear Integration Module. It is labeled (RIM) by the in dash scanner, use the built in scanner (instruction in the sticky att the top of the forum) to look for any codes in the RIM, esp. communications codes with other modules. Since I've already had to replace mine when my door locks, lights, and other things quit I'm quite familiar with it. To access the RIM module you'll need to be able to work on your stomach laying head first in the trunk. Obtain plenty of light and get in on the RH side and pull the gray truck liner material away from the back of the rear seat on the right side. You will see a black plastic cover plate as big as the opening with several modules (plastic boxes with wire plugs) snapped to it from the other (front) side. There are many holes in this cover to see through and molded in clips to hold things onto it. The RIM is at the bottom right, and about the size of a digital camera, a man's camera, not one of those tiny purse jobs but not as big as a professionals 35mm. If you're handy you can unplug the connectors with simple tools like a pocket screw-driver to push the plug latch and a few tugs and wiggles on the plugs. After you get the plug off you can use your fingers through the holes to unsnap the RIM and pull it through one of the bigger holes into the trunk, then pull the plugs and wires that go to it though a hole and plug it back in to start making checks at the plug connectors wires. At the Rear Integration Module (RIM), ground the Dark Blue wire at pin B10, connector 2, to a good body ground or the BAT - if you have enough test lead wiring. Be aware there are two dark blue wires there, the wrong one is B3, connector 1. If the lights do not come on, look for an open in the Dark Blue wire. Ask me where it goes at that point (to avoid making this novel any longer).

If the lights do come on when grounding B10, verify that the Rim has communication with the other modules and good power/ground. If so, replace the RIM. Ask me how to check the powers and grounds for the RIM at that point.

Vernon
    Vernon, You Da Man! Thanks for your novel on why the interior lights do not come on. I have a 2000 Deville base with 146k on it. Love my car. Interior lights quit coming on this winter. finally had some time to search the forum and your post came up. fuse ok, relay no change, covered light sensor, although my headlights worked fine, and came on at dark. no change. i pulled the trunk lining panel off, 5 push pins along the top of the trunk opening, and one, each side of the pass thru door. above the left side of the pass thru door was a 10 mm nut that held the plastic panel on that kept my fat fingers from getting to the RIM. opening that away from the pass thru door, i was able to gain access to the RIM. i noticed that i had 2 plugs unplugged from what seemed to be audio/antenna amplifier stuff, plugged them back in. i unplugged the 2 connectors from the RIM, examined it, blew it off with the air hose, focusing on the pins, and plugged it back in. Interior Lights now work fine. Found a few of these used RIM's on ebay for $30 to $80. Put it all back together. How come you always come up short one push pin to re-attach the trunk lining? Oh Well
    Thanks for taking the time to help the rest of us out!!!
    Blairman

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.