2003 DTS Electronic Struts - Page 4
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes
Cadillac DeVille 1985 to 2005 including:
1985-1992 Fleetwood, 1993 Sixty Special, All FWD Forum Discussion, 2003 DTS Electronic Struts in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; GM parts carry a 12 month warranty (at least) GM just rolled out a new limited lifetime warranty on lots ...
    RippyPartsDept is offline Hi, I'm Chris - Please Read My Signature
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille "Bianca" (white/blue, VIN-Y, 160k)

Re: 2003 DTS Electronic Struts

GM parts carry a 12 month warranty (at least)
    GM just rolled out a new limited lifetime warranty on lots of common parts like water pumps, hubs, fuel pump assemblies, etc

other parts have a 24 month warranty
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership - family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946
    We offer all forum members deals on parts and freight - e: parts@rippyautomotive.com ph: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

SGWORLDWIDE is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 04 Deville DTS (Sold)

Quote Originally Posted by pmjarvis View Post
    It would be nice if you had an electronic suspension where you could change it from "sport mode" to "comfort mode" with a push of a button.
    Yeh that would of been one cool feature for the DTS less stress on the system just set it and forget it to whatever u like

2005+ STS with Magneride has that ... 2nd Gen V-series does also
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership - family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946
    We offer all forum members deals on parts and freight - e: parts@rippyautomotive.com ph: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

Yeh caddy had no choice most of the euro sports sedans have it so got to follow the crowd

Quote Originally Posted by MoistCabbage View Post
    Which are priced way higher because they each have a $.25 resistor in them. The shocks/struts alone won't make much of a difference. basscatt is suggesting switching out the springs as well.
    How can we be sure the DTS uses stiffer springs because on amazon even with my DTS saved in the garage it shows me the same springs for my car i think all devilles use the same springs anyone have proof that there different?

MoistCabbage is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    Post #'s 20 and 22.

basscatt is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 89 Coupe DeVille, 95 Sedan DeVille, 03 SLS, two 02 DHS's

Quote Originally Posted by SGWORLDWIDE View Post
    How can we be sure the DTS uses stiffer springs because on amazon even with my DTS saved in the garage it shows me the same springs for my car i think all devilles use the same springs anyone have proof that there different?
    -----------------------
    you will not find that information - anywhere -
    EXCEPT through a really sharp Parts guy at a Caddy Dealer - THANKS Chris

ALL aftermarket springs are based on the base Deville or DHS -

the ONLY place to get Deville DTS springs is through the dealer -
    FRONT - #22197592 -
    REAR - #25679066 -

Deville base and DHS -
    FRONT - #22197594 -
    REAR - #25670967 -

So if i was changing my struts and shocks to a passive system does it make sense to match the springs?

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, chrome it
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Depends on whether or not the passive struts/shocks are regular (soft ride) or "performance" tuned.

Quote Originally Posted by Submariner409 View Post
    Depends on whether or not the passive struts/shocks are regular (soft ride) or "performance" tuned.
    Great more choices okay ill narrow it down then the monroes (With DIY resisters) or arnotts with the built in bypass resisters what are they? as thats what most seem to use for the DTS

basscatt is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 89 Coupe DeVille, 95 Sedan DeVille, 03 SLS, two 02 DHS's

Great more choices okay ill narrow it down then the monroes (With DIY resisters) or arnotts with the built in bypass resisters what are they? as thats what most seem to use for the DTS
    -------------------------
    if you want to convert your harsh riding DTS to that of a DHS -
    go back and read #7 -

install the Monroe 171685 strut assembly -

the MOOG - 81011 rear springs -

and the Monroe MA822 rear shocks -

Can i also use the arnotts (Ive seen them cheaper on Ebay and know friends that have sold them for cheap) with the acdelco springs made for the deville and DHS insted of the moogs? also amazon says these springs will work on the deville but the part numbers are different from the "soft spring part numbers chris posted"

http://www.amazon.com/gp/part-finder...sNode=15731911

Black Beauty DTS is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2001 Cadillac DTS

Can i also use the arnotts (Ive seen them cheaper on Ebay and know friends that have sold them for cheap) with the acdelco springs made for the deville and DHS insted of the moogs? also amazon says these springs will work on the deville but the part numbers are different from the "soft spring part numbers chris posted"

http://www.amazon.com/gp/part-finder...sNode=15731911
    From my own personal experience, the DTS springs are what makes the car handle so well. The electronic struts and shocks adds more control to the springs. I installed the Monroe MA822 rear shocks on my car, because one of my original ones had seized up while compressed.

However, since I needed to get my car working properly ASAP, I decided to purchase the MA822 because there was no place locally that had the electronic shocks. In the end, I'm glad that I installed the passive shocks, because the car still handles good, but the ride is smoother in the rear than before.

If you plan to autocross your car, then maybe the electronic struts and shocks will help. If your car is a daily driver that you want to be as comfortable as possible, while still handling well, then go passive and keep the stock springs.

Mmmh good advice yeh i would like a little more comfy ride, i remember when i first got the DTS and i drove it i thought to my self i dont remember caddys having such a hard ride use to ride in them when i was younger, that was before i know the DTS had the sport ride insted of the classic caddy soft ride i still wanted A DTS though because for my age a regular deville is more for older people hence "The old peoples car name" yeh was just wondering because i was going to go all out and replace all with the active acdelco struts and shocks but now im thinking passive might be the way to go and ill get a more comfy ride too (just didnt know if i should swap the springs aswell with the regular deville ones) though then my other half tells me it wont be a DTS no more

also think of your suspension this way:

the springs hold the weight of the car (the 'sprung' weight)
    they will bounce/oscillate when you're going down the road
    the shock/strut dampens the oscillations so that you only bounce one, two, or maybe three times

matching the weight of the car to the spring's stiffness to the dampening abilities of the shock/strut is what a 'tuned suspension' is all about

now factor in that the electronic/active suspensions (CVRSS in your case) can vary that dampening ability of the shock/strut that allows the suspension to feel a lot stiffer when it needs to be yet still feel smooth when it doesn't need to be stiff
    70cougar and 70cougar like this.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.