2003 DTS Electronic Struts - Page 3
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes
Cadillac DeVille 1985 to 2005 including:
1985-1992 Fleetwood, 1993 Sixty Special, All FWD Forum Discussion, 2003 DTS Electronic Struts in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Huh? $1900? Elec struts for my Sts are $500 each and I would scream if a shop tried to charge ...
    stoveguyy is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 96 STS, 140k
    Huh? $1900? Elec struts for my Sts are $500 each and I would scream if a shop tried to charge me 1900 to install them. Did u really pay 1900 to install 2 front struts? No other work or suspension bits?

RippyPartsDept is offline Hi, I'm Chris - Please Read My Signature
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille "Bianca" (white/blue, VIN-Y, 160k)

Re: 2003 DTS Electronic Struts

OEM struts for a '96 STS list at $900 each
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership - family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946
    We offer all forum members deals on parts and freight - e: parts@rippyautomotive.com ph: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

Rock auto has mine for 600. No listing for 03 DTS. Did not find online listing for 03 stuff. So 600 x 2 and install? Maybe new mounts, isolators or whatever, alignment. Yes, 1900

basscatt is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 89 Coupe DeVille, 95 Sedan DeVille, 02 DHS, 03 SLS

Quote Originally Posted by stoveguyy View Post
    Rock auto has mine for 600. No listing for 03 DTS. Did not find online listing for 03 stuff. So 600 x 2 and install? Maybe new mounts, isolators or whatever, alignment. Yes, 1900
    -------------------------
    Rock Auto sells genuine ACDelco parts at a substantial discount -
    the service department at a dealer charges full retail -

Chris just said -
    OEM struts for a '96 STS list at $900 each
    - OUCH!

AND THEN CONSIDER YOU COULD GET THE Monroe 90008 KIT -
    everything you need - except springs -
    to convert your ACTIVE to PASSIVE struts - for $216 - for both sides -

-----------
    No listing for 03 DTS
    DTS was only a model of the Deville in '03
    so the application would be for an 03 Deville with electronic suspension -
    rock auto's price -
    22064782 - left - $507.79
    22064783 - right - $507.79

pmjarvis is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 03 DTS, 84 Town Car, (01 Deville, 97 Town Car, 79 Deville)

Huh? $1900? Elec struts for my Sts are $500 each and I would scream if a shop tried to charge me 1900 to install them. Did u really pay 1900 to install 2 front struts? No other work or suspension bits?
    The struts from the Cadillac dealer were $969.07 each. That does not include labor. I don't know how much the labor was because I also had the Steering Position Sensor ($79.12) and the MAF Sensor ($159.67) replaced. Labor to install those two parts plus the two front struts was $416. The total bill that day was $2757.06

rodnok01 is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 98 DeVille, 97 DeVille d'Elegance

Wow that is almost as much as I paid for my 98.... Sorry but you got ripped off big time. I know you won't make that mistake again. As a side note you may be able to sell those frt's and recoup some of your money at least.

Quote Originally Posted by pmjarvis View Post
    The struts from the Cadillac dealer were $969.07 each. That does not include labor. I don't know how much the labor was because I also had the Steering Position Sensor ($79.12) and the MAF Sensor ($159.67) replaced. Labor to install those two parts plus the two front struts was $416. The total bill that day was $2757.06
    -------------------
    well - at least you know where to come first next time you need something else -

to try to recover SOME money -
    DOCUMENT the mileage when you had the struts installed -
    DOCUMENT the mileage when you removed them -

describe them as only being XX months old with XX miles on them -
    and be very clear - with pics - that they are the entire assembly -
    not just the strut - and include the special DTS rear springs -

put everything on ebay - for $500 + shipping -
    just remember between the listing and payment -
    ebay/paypal will take around 12% of the sale price -

oh - and list the stuff here in the classifieds - it's free -

craigslist is also free to list -

So, if there are oem elec struts for my car available, but I choose to not use them, who will? Will someone maybe restoring a "vintage", 96 Sts choose to go nuts and pay for them? I live in the rust belt. I had a 84 Buick century with rusty door bottoms. Some local junkyard had access to rust free southern doors for a fair price. I asked the yard about them and they said why? Huh? WHO were they intending to sell them too? It's not like my cheap ass century was any show car but it certainly could have used nice doors.

So, if there are oem elec struts for my car available, but I choose to not use them, who will? Will someone maybe restoring a "vintage", 96 Sts choose to go nuts and pay for them? I live in the rust belt. I had a 84 Buick century with rusty door bottoms. Some local junkyard had access to rust free southern doors for a fair price. I asked the yard about them and they said why? Huh? WHO were they intending to sell them too? It's not like my cheap ass century was any show car but it certainly could have used nice doors.
    ---------------------
    what?

SGWORLDWIDE is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 04 Deville DTS Black Raven, Scouting 03 Seville STS

Geez struts and shocks are super easy to put in, i would not go to a dealer unless the car needed a caddy dealer only part bunch of ripoffs just like the bodyshops, u can get the DTS struts on amazon under $500 and best thing to do is learn all the parts of the car so u know what u need to buy when u have a issue, thats what i do then cross reference with us on the forum to be sure, then have a local competent mechanic put them in this why theres no price mark up and u save because u pay what u want for the parts unless u know how to put them in then its free, but im not that technical

RippyPartsDept is offline Hi, I'm Chris - Please Read My Signature
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille "Bianca" (white/blue, VIN-Y, 160k)
    Good dealers are definitely hard to corn by but they're out there. :-)

One thing many people forget or look over is that the labor is covered in a parts warranty situation when you get the part installed by the dealer.

Plus a good dealer stands behind their estimates and work. That's what the premium on labor and parts is supposed to be for.
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership - family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946
    We offer all forum members deals on parts and freight - e: parts@rippyautomotive.com ph: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

pmjarvis is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 03 DTS, 84 Town Car, (01 Deville, 97 Town Car, 79 Deville)

Quote Originally Posted by SGWORLDWIDE View Post
    Geez struts and shocks are super easy to put in, i would not go to a dealer unless the car needed a caddy dealer only part bunch of ripoffs just like the bodyshops, u can get the DTS struts on amazon under $500 and best thing to do is learn all the parts of the car so u know what u need to buy when u have a issue, thats what i do then cross reference with us on the forum to be sure, then have a local competent mechanic put them in this why theres no price mark up and u save because u pay what u want for the parts unless u know how to put them in then its free, but im not that technical
    That's the problem I have now. Most service centers won't allow you to supply your own parts. So right now I have a front strut assemby and rear springs sitting in my living room until I figure out where to reasonably have them installed. The reason I've always went to the Cadillac dealer for service is because the car was originally sold there when it was new, I being the second owner also bought it there, and all the service done to this vehicle since it was new has been done there and is all documented. I know this sounds silly but I guess I was compelled to continue the recommended maintenance schedule that had always been done at the same place. But unless you have a bottomless bank account that becomes unrealistic to continue to pay OEM prices when these cars get this old. If you do the math 4 OEM struts installed would be around 50% of the cars value. That's assuming that a 2003 Cadillac Deville DTS with 108K could still sell for $8000.

Is some

Quote Originally Posted by pmjarvis View Post
    That's the problem I have now. Most service centers won't allow you to supply your own parts. So right now I have a front strut assemby and rear springs sitting in my living room until I figure out where to reasonably have them installed. The reason I've always went to the Cadillac dealer for service is because the car was originally sold there when it was new, I being the second owner also bought it there, and all the service done to this vehicle since it was new has been done there and is all documented. I know this sounds silly but I guess I was compelled to continue the recommended maintenance schedule that had always been done at the same place. But unless you have a bottomless bank account that becomes unrealistic to continue to pay OEM prices when these cars get this old. If you do the math 4 OEM struts installed would be around 50% of the cars value. That's assuming that a 2003 Cadillac Deville DTS with 108K could still sell for $8000.
    -------------------------
    Most service centers won't allow you to supply your own parts
    that is true - to a degree -

big-name chain-type shops usually won't install customer supplied parts -

1 - they don't make their cut on the parts -

2 - some people bring in cheap-crap-parts
    that the shop KNOWS are going to have/cause problems -
    or will bring in nasty used parts -

3 - who covers labor the second time if something goes wrong -
    so it's just not worth it for them -
    -------------------
    HOWEVER - local Mom & Pop type - privately owned shops
    would install your parts - IF YOU APPROACH THEM CORRECTLY -

if you call around and simply ask - "will you install my-supplied parts"?
    the easy answer will be "NO - SORRY - we don't install customer supplied parts" -
    and that's the end of the conversation -

IF - on the other hand - you call around and say -
    "I have a brand new set of front Monroe strut assemblies -
    and a brand new set of MOOG rear springs -

would you swap the front struts and rear springs -
    I understand you would NOT offer any type of warranty -
    other than the parts are installed correctly -

and do you do alignments?"

oh - and make it clear that the struts are the entire assembly -
    all new springs/bearing plates etc - already assembled -
    so all they need to do is unbolt the original strut assembly -
    and bolt the new one in -

you might get an entirely different response -

SGWORLDWIDE is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 04 Deville DTS Black Raven, Scouting 03 Seville STS

Quote Originally Posted by RippyPartsDept View Post
    Good dealers are definitely hard to corn by but they're out there. :-)

One thing many people forget or look over is that the labor is covered in a parts warranty situation when you get the part installed by the dealer.

Plus a good dealer stands behind their estimates and work. That's what the premium on labor and parts is supposed to be for.
    Agree there alot of good ones (Your service department has been very helpful to me thanks chris) but i hate the ones u walk in and some idiot starts throwing numbers it reminds me of the real estate buisness where people have no regard for other peoples money and want things for noting, usually the warrenty aint that great ether from a dealer usually a few months like i said better off buying your own parts and having someone put them in

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.