Block Heater vs Remote Start
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
Cadillac DeVille 1985 to 2005 including:
1985-1992 Fleetwood, 1993 Sixty Special, All FWD Forum Discussion, Block Heater vs Remote Start in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Hey Northerners... what would you recommend, block heaters or a remote starter setup. Let me give you some background: I ...
    rodnok01 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 98 DeVille, 97 DeVille d'Elegance

Block Heater vs Remote Start

Hey Northerners... what would you recommend, block heaters or a remote starter setup.
    Let me give you some background: I may have to spend a winter(move possibly to even) in the great white north taking care of elderly relatives.
    I'm no rookie with cold weather even though I've lived in the South for a very long time. I have used block heaters, inline coolant heaters, oil pan heaters and even dipstick heaters(for the oil not the driver ).
    50/50 chance of if there is a garage to park the Caddy in, so going with No for now. Wife wants a remote starter, but to honest with all the horror stories from people including relatives (SIL has destroyed a couple vehicle electronics with high end systems pro installed) I am leaning towards block heaters for ease of installation, not harming my car and cost(read cheap SOB). I have no problem plugging my car in but the wife would forget(she has already left with plug still connected). If you recommend a remote system, what brand? I have no problem installing any system myself either.
    Another question for block heater fans: use the stock style or inline coolant. I love my inline on my truck, it defrosts the frt window a little just by convection. I know the N* is considerable different design and the thermo is in the bottom hose and therefor will be a less than ideal candidate for inline type. Looking forward to your comments.
    Next time snow tire discussions....
    jounier11 and jounier11 like this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, chrome it
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Re: Block Heater vs Remote Start

Really no way to do an inline or tank heater due to the system configuration. I'm not a fan of remote starters as sitting at cold idle for 10 minutes is murder on the engine as well as gas mileage: engine running in P at idle = gas mileage 0.

Install the stock Northstar block heater elements and make a big red windshield sign: UNPLUG BLOCK HEATER

And if you're not with Dkoz in Fairbanks, AK you really don't need a block heater - cold starts are what multigrade oils were designed for.

bigtone is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2010 DTS, 2006 DTS, 2001 Deville,

I have installed 4 systems on 98 thru 2005 Devilles. It can be done correctly if you take the time to do it right. Commercial places such as Best Buy do not take the time to do it right. 3 of the systems I installed were avital. They were on the cheaper end but work well. I used the Directed brand immobilizer bypass, and it works well also. Really no issues to speak of. You can get by without a bypass unit on a 98 by using a resistor.

Mojo88 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2003 White Diamond DeVille 'Base'

I live in frigid Rhode Island and bought my DeVille about a year ago. The guy I bought it from also happened to run a shop that installs stereos and remote starts. Before I even picked the car up, I had him install a remote start. It came with two key fobs, which was great since the DeVille owner had lost one of the originals. The remote start key fobs open the trunk, sound the horn, lock/unlock the doors and start the engine. IMHO it's a no-brainer, get a remote start.

Additionally, for cold weather I make sure to use full synthetic oil at recommended weights, which I believe is 5w-30. I know there's endless debate about benefits of synthetic oils, but one thing nobody argues about is that synthetic oil flows much better than standard oil at colder temps.

houg is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): deville

i have a remote starter in my 03 deville for 3 yrs now, the remote opens the doors and trunk also, works great with no problem, besides the only place u can use a block heater is at home! what if u go to the movies or something like that and the car sits out side for three or four hours the car will start from inside the building, i dont think theyll let u plug it in there

calvin ar is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1991 devill

I have a remote starter on 2 Cadillac Devil's never use them except to mess with people. if you are worried about start up I would use a oil dip stick heater if you are worried about the cold on you I'd say get a coat and a cup of coffee these cars heat up in like 5-10 minutes when driving at reallly cold temps (it just part of living in the north plus the seat heaters worm u up good

carnut is online now Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1988 Allante' (sold), 1984 Eldorado, 84 Sedan DeVille

The point of a block heater is to keep the oil warm to aid in the initial starting (cranking). A remote starter is to pre warm the interior and defrost the windows. The wife could care less about how quickly the starter spins the engine! She wants to get into a warm car in the morning. With the proper weight oil for the climate and a good battery, I doubt a block heater would be of any real benefit, but a warm interior keeps you in a warm bed!!! And as SUBMARINER has pointed out, it wastes fuel. Lets see.........warm interior, warm wife, cold interior "cold" wife! Your call

rodnok01 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 98 DeVille, 97 DeVille d'Elegance

Starting to see a pattern here.... remote start....
    I don't see an issue with a few minutes of idling myself since it would happen anyways esp if the windows needed scraping, but I do see your point Sub and would program accordingly.
    I had to get creative with the wife before, I put the big orange cord across the windshield... that stopped 99% of the problems. Good thoughts so far, keep em coming.

brougham is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1991 Cadillac Brougham D'Elegance 5.7 Litre

Block heater and remote start are for two complete different things. Block heater is to pre-warm the engine and it's fluids so it's easier to start because the fluids aren't as cold and thick. Remote start is for your own comfort so you aren't getting into a cold car. Just for one winter you don't really need either but if it's an area where cold winters is a big concern block heater is more important then remote start and it'll help the car warm up a bit quicker anyway.

I have a remote start in my Deville and we've been in a cold spell with temperatures in the -20s and beyond the last couple weeks so it's been seeing a bit of use. There are a only a few main brands that installers use, stick with one of those and you'll be OK. For block heater go with whatever factory was for northstars.

MoistCabbage is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    Everyone's forgetting the other big advantage to remote start, pre COOLING in the summer.

jounier11 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): None for now ;)

Quote Originally Posted by Submariner409 View Post
    Install the stock Northstar block heater elements and make a big red windshield sign: UNPLUG BLOCK HEATER.
    Does a 98 d'elegance come with engine block heater? Or do i have to purchase one.

MoistCabbage is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    Block heaters weren't standard equipment.

They were depending on where the car was originally ordered. I wouldn't expect one from CA to have it tho.

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, chrome it
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

RPO K05 (heater eng block) may have been floorplan ordered by a northern U.S. dealer, but there was no standard option package that included it.

Block heater may have been a part of package RPO Z49 - (Canadian model mandatory base equipment)
    jounier11 and jounier11 like this.

It wouldn't have been part of a package except for maybe that Canadian one. Like I said it's just an option that usually gets flagged and added automatically depending on where the car was ordered. The same type of thing used to happen for rear defroster that a car ordered in a colder state like NY came with it automatically whereas a car from a warmer state might not have unless it was specifically requested. There was no package, it was just automatically included depending on where the car was destined for.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.