2005 Deville valve cover gasket
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Cadillac DeVille 1985 to 2005 including:
1985-1992 Fleetwood, 1993 Sixty Special, All FWD Forum Discussion, 2005 Deville valve cover gasket in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Hi I have a Deville 2005. I had the oil change and the dealer told me that the read valve ...
    Geo4 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 deville

2005 Deville valve cover gasket

Hi I have a Deville 2005. I had the oil change and the dealer told me that the read valve cover gasket was leaking and that I should replace both of them. Cost 600.00 plus tax. And that it take a day or day and half. My question is does the car have to be on a lift to change the rear gasket? The price seems high maybe it not. Thank you George

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

MoistCabbage is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    On a lift? No. And it doesn't take a day and a half. How bad is the leak? Is it dripping, or just seeping?

Re: 2005 Deville valve cover gasket

At first it didn't concern me much just seeping now it dripping on garage floor so when I saw that I knew I had to fix it. Thanks George

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, chrome it
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

There's more to the job than meets the eye ............... To change both cam cover gaskets (actually, formed silicone seals) takes a considerable amount of time.

For my car the GM labor time is 4 hours to do both covers - and that cost will vary by the local GM dealer labor rates. List price on each seal is about $27. You're right at $600 in a U.S. metropolitan area.

I am in Cincinnati area.

Mojo88 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2003 White Diamond DeVille 'Base'

I bought my DeVille about a year ago, and had burning oil smell and leak. It was the rear cam cover gasket. I did it myself, but this job is certainly not for the faint-hearted, LOL. So far, I have only done the rear cover gasket, as that was the bad leaker. I was extra-meticulous, and it took me a solid 6 hours.

Getting the rear cover off (and back on), it's real close, that's for sure. I did not have to move the engine, but I did have to move wiring harness and a few others things out of the way as much as possible. And after I got it out, I cleaned everything nice and neat, then I practiced a few times putting the valve cover back into place. I kept moving things and juggling the cover until I discovered the best way to get it back into place. After I had my dry runs down pretty good, I loaded up the inner recess on the cover with a nice bead of sealant, then I carefully pressed the gasket in, then I put another bead of sealant on the gasket edge. Then I tried to re-install the cover without disturbing the sealant. I know the gasket touched a little bit as I was putting the cover back on, but it wasn't much.

I made sure the cover was sitting properly, then quickly put the retaining bolts back in and gradually tightened them down in a criss-cross pattern - until snug.

This job was definitely a bit intimidating, did I mention that?????

I still need to do the front cover gasket. I am noticing one or two oil drops on the garage floor. But that rear cover gasket was leaking like a sieve, so I stopped 95% of my oil leaks by replacing that one item.

Alldata was a good purchase. I couldn't have done this job without it. I got three years for $29.95. Well worth it.

I replaced spark plugs and the O2 sensor while they were exposed......

Hope this helps. Good luck!

Dave

From looking at my rear cam cover I see three screws on the front and I suspect that three more is in the back. Do I have to remove a lot of stuff to get the cover unbolted? Or just like Dave said move wires out of the way to get cover back on. Sometimes I take too much then I need to off. What is alldata? Also would you guys use the dealer gasket or one from autozone etc ?Thanks george

Mojo88 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2003 White Diamond DeVille 'Base'

http://www.alldatadiy.com/

There's the link for "Alldata". If you're gonna try to do this yourself, then you will need good step-by-step instructions.

I bought my gasket set from Autozone. I believe it was FelPro, which is a decent quality brand name......

Thanks, I guess I am just goofy enough to try this and I let you guys know how it went. If I had to yell for help or not. I will get the alldata. Is The 8th number on the vin plate the engine type Y or 9? Again thank you all George

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Yes. Your 8th digit should be a Y.

One more question. is the rear valve or cam cover the right ? Or the left? Since the engine sets sideways.The dealer calls them ( rear and front) and rest of the world calls them ( right or left) Thank you George

The rear is the right cylinder bank.

Right/left in a vehicle is assuming you are sitting in it, facing forwards. Imagine sitting on your engine, sitting forward (the front is the pulley side). Your right would be toward the firewall.

.....Cylinder 1 is the front one in the right bank, followed by 3-5-7. Left bank (starting at the front) is 2-4-6-8.

Thank you moistcabbage that what I figured. Tomorrow I will try my hand at replacing the right or rear valve gasket. George

Have fun .

I let you know how much fun it was. George

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.