2005 Deville valve cover gasket - Page 3
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Cadillac DeVille 1985 to 2005 including:
1985-1992 Fleetwood, 1993 Sixty Special, All FWD Forum Discussion, 2005 Deville valve cover gasket in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Originally Posted by Geo4 Why dosent the factory use sealant?and the old gasket seem to be in good shape I ...
    Mojo88 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2003 White Diamond DeVille 'Base'

Re: 2005 Deville valve cover gasket

Quote Originally Posted by Geo4 View Post
    Why dosent the factory use sealant?and the old gasket seem to be in good shape I don't understand why it leak.

IMHO, I think the cam cover suffers from poor engineering - regarding oil leakage. Like you, my gasket appeared OK, but was leaking like a sieve. Anyway, I used a good bead of sealant on both sides of new gasket and it's not leaking now........ I still need to do my front gasket.

Hey, did you replace the o2 sensor that was nestled behind the cover???

Geo4 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 deville

Now I am thinking of replaceing the left cam cover gasket. Is this one as tight for space as the right one? I know part of the water pump has to come off. Thanks to each and ever one of you.with your help I have put on the shocks that Ranger suggested and now the right cam cover saved a lot of money that I didn't have. One last question when the cam cover is off is there anything else I should replace? George

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

No space problems with the left cam cover, but you do have to remove the W/P drive pulley from the end of the intake cam (be sure to use a P/S pump pulley puller and NOT a 3 jaw). Nothing else needs replacing.

zeskelson is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2004 Deville

Well guys I started this same job today on my 2004 Deville. First off I would like to say alldatadiy.com sucks they might as well took a picture of the engine and said "see that stuff ,take it out"! Now I had no problem getting the right valve cover off but the air valve above it sucked. I never heard any of you say anything about pulling my fuel injectors but the harness is in my way and also secured to the valve cover and no i"m not talking about the ignition coils, got those out fine. My question is do any of you know how to remove the plastic clamp that runs around the injector harness? The valve cover is ready to come out but need that harness out of my way.

bigtone is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2010 DTS, 2006 DTS, 2001 Deville,

You definately do not have to remove your injectors. I just unhooked the cable holdowns and kept the cable out of the way. You can remove the connector clips and disconnect the injectors if you want to.

Quote Originally Posted by zeskelson View Post
    Well guys I started this same job today on my 2004 Deville. First off I would like to say alldatadiy.com sucks they might as well took a picture of the engine and said "see that stuff ,take it out"! .....

For valve cover R&R, they have a detailed 15-page printout for each side. It is hard to locate the printout, no doubt, but it's there.

Did you do the rear cover yet? That's the harder one, and the printout would be a bigger help there.

I just did my front cover gasket yesterday. That was a piece of cake, as compared to the rear gasket.

BTW - as stated, no need to remove injectors. Just remove the clips and harness.

Black Beauty DTS is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2001 Cadillac DTS

Quote Originally Posted by Mojo88 View Post
    IMHO, I think the cam cover suffers from poor engineering - regarding oil leakage. Like you, my gasket appeared OK, but was leaking like a sieve. Anyway, I used a good bead of sealant on both sides of new gasket and it's not leaking now........ I still need to do my front gasket.

Hey, did you replace the o2 sensor that was nestled behind the cover???
    I'm wondering.....if the gaskets are okay, then could it be the bolts are not torqued down enough from the factory to squeeze down on it? The gasket appears to be one closed piece all the way around the edges of the valve cover, so I'm guessing that it leaks around the top or bottom side of the gasket?

ddalder is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2008 STS-4 N* 1SG

I have a 2004 Bonneville with the same LD8 engine. The RH cam cover gasket was replaced three times while under warranty. This continues to leak, and I'm not really happy (or impressed). Now that the car is out of warranty, I was thinking of doing this myself. The dealer told me that the intake plenum needs to be removed to do this repair. Can anyone confirm this? The book time (for the RH side only) is 2.4 hours. I have no plans to replace the LH gasket as it does not appear to be leaking at all.

The dealership suggested to me that perhaps I look at replacing the cam cover as this may be part of the problem. I can't help but think that heat and/or over-torquing may have led to a crack or other failure. My car only has 118,000k to date, so this is not a high miler by any means. The other possibility is that the bolts don't remain tight over time, although it's only been a few thousand km's since the last time it was done. The leak on mine always seems to be what is considered the RF corner.

Thoughts, suggestions or recommendations?

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

You might check the Tech Tips section. There may be a tutorial in there.

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger View Post
    You might check the Tech Tips section. There may be a tutorial in there.
    Thanks, I'll do that.

I haven't seen much in the way of discussion about the cover itself, other than one suggesting it may not have been engineered to be quite rugged/rigid enough (Mojo88 I believe). Has anyone who has done this checked for cracks or warping? I don't mind spending the money on a new one, but at the same time, if there is no real indication to do this, I'd rather not.

Quote Originally Posted by ddalder View Post
    Thanks, I'll do that.

I haven't seen much in the way of discussion about the cover itself, other than one suggesting it may not have been engineered to be quite rugged/rigid enough (Mojo88 I believe). Has anyone who has done this checked for cracks or warping? I don't mind spending the money on a new one, but at the same time, if there is no real indication to do this, I'd rather not.

These types of issues can be infuriating, no doubt. I replaced both of my cam cover gaskets, but still have small leak. I've just resigned myself to live with it and add a little oil every ~1,500 miles.

In your case, with so many repairs in the same area, I would want to totally confirm that it's actually the cover and/or gasket that's leaking. I would degrease the entire area (being careful of electronics). Then, I would get some of that dye that you add to oil, then use UV light to check and see where the leak is. Once you know EXACTLY where the leak is, then you can focus your attention to that precise spot and you should be able to determine if, in fact, you have a warped or cracked cover, or maybe just a pinched gasket, or maybe some old gasket material was left behind from a previous repair, etc, etc.....

Good luck. Keep us posted.

Thanks for your reply, Mojo. Definitely some good thoughts there. The dealership had cleaned up the area and added dye. When I went back in the other day, it seems to be coming from the corner of the cover/seal. As with the Deville, space is in short supply so visualization was difficult. I have an inspection camera and I may try and look at it from the top today.

Unfortunately, the first time the repair was done, the GM technician did a very poor job. On the second attempt, it was discovered he didn't reinstall one of the cover bolts. I always check work after I get my car back, but I missed the bolt. I guess I just assumed an extra bolt at the end of the job would have prompted the technician look for the location. I should have known better after I found the connector for the O2 sensor broken, the casing for the secondary air injection pump relay broken and tie-wrapped in place, the ground tab for boosting was grossly twisted out of its normal shape (instead of removing the one easily accessible bolt to remove it) amongst several other items I'm still quite bitter about.

Quote Originally Posted by ddalder View Post
    Thanks for your reply, Mojo. Definitely some good thoughts there. The dealership had cleaned up the area and added dye. When I went back in the other day, it seems to be coming from the corner of the cover/seal. As with the Deville, space is in short supply so visualization was difficult. I have an inspection camera and I may try and look at it from the top today.

Unfortunately, the first time the repair was done, the GM technician did a very poor job. On the second attempt, it was discovered he didn't reinstall one of the cover bolts. I always check work after I get my car back, but I missed the bolt. I guess I just assumed an extra bolt at the end of the job would have prompted the technician look for the location. I should have known better after I found the connector for the O2 sensor broken, the casing for the secondary air injection pump relay broken and tie-wrapped in place, the ground tab for boosting was grossly twisted out of its normal shape (instead of removing the one easily accessible bolt to remove it) amongst several other items I'm still quite bitter about.

Well, it's a real shame to hear about that poor workmanship. I might have expected that from some local-yokel repair shop, but not from a dealer. A dealer usually does acceptable work.

If you have the skills, tools and knowledge, I would highly recommend doing this job yourself. Just go slow, be methodical and be extra meticulous. Check every inch of the sealing surfaces on the cover and on the block, cleaning as necessary. On my gaskets, I used a thin bead of copper RTV sealer on all surfaces. The sealer is just one more way to try and stem the flow. Some guys will say to not use any sealer, so it's your choice. But on an older car, I think sealer helps, but it would make it more difficult if you had to repeat the job.

You should use a repair manual or something to help guide you through the process. I use ALLDATA.

Dave F.

Quote Originally Posted by Mojo88 View Post
    Well, it's a real shame to hear about that poor workmanship. I might have expected that from some local-yokel repair shop, but not from a dealer. A dealer usually does acceptable work.

If you have the skills, tools and knowledge, I would highly recommend doing this job yourself. Just go slow, be methodical and be extra meticulous. Check every inch of the sealing surfaces on the cover and on the block, cleaning as necessary. On my gaskets, I used a thin bead of copper RTV sealer on all surfaces. The sealer is just one more way to try and stem the flow. Some guys will say to not use any sealer, so it's your choice. But on an older car, I think sealer helps, but it would make it more difficult if you had to repeat the job.

You should use a repair manual or something to help guide you through the process. I use ALLDATA.

Dave F.
    Thanks, Dave. Some good tips for sure. I do much more in the way of electrical/electronic work than mechanical, but I have done a little in the past so I may just try this. If I had to get inside the transmission or deep into the engine, that would not be territory I'd venture into

The concern I had for using RTV was just that, cleaning the surfaces again if the repair failed. With such tight access, this would definitely become frustrating very quickly. I'm not sure yet if any of the prior three technicians have tried this.

Alternatively, I'm curious if the cam cover bolts suffer the same problem loosening off as the intake plenum bolts. Both my Northstar engines have had problems with this and this has been a topic of repeated problem amongst many members in various forums. I may try re-torquing the bolts to spec before disassembly and if any prove to be loose, use a small amount of thread lock compound during reassembly. If these bolts are coming loose, it may be the true root cause of these leaks. I can't believe how problematic the intake bolts have been and I just can't help but wonder about a similar problem here. Many people have reported these as being "finger tight" in several cases (including myself). When I checked, the torque spec appears to be the same for the intake as the cam covers.

Interesting problem on the cam cover bolts. I wonder how many of these types of issues are caused by incorrect torque or tightening procedures...... I've been wrenching for many years, did it as a vocation for about 10 years. I quickly got in the habit of 'sequential' tightening, that is, I would use criss-cross pattern on wheels and/or start from the center portion on intakes and anywhere there were multiple fasteners. Then I would always tighten gently, then more firmly, and then final torque, and re-check. I religiously follow factory manuals if there's a specific sequence, or I use my method if no factory sequence available. I can't recall anything ever loosening up on me......

The cam covers seem like they could easily be prone to problems, especially if someone is improperly tightening the fasteners. Plenty of opportunity there for leaks.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.