2005 Deville valve cover gasket - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Cadillac DeVille 1985 to 2005 including:
1985-1992 Fleetwood, 1993 Sixty Special, All FWD Forum Discussion, 2005 Deville valve cover gasket in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; good luck sir. Did mine...and I tend to be..angry. Definitely a job where that does no good, it took a ...
    oldmanlesabre is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 Deville

Re: 2005 Deville valve cover gasket

good luck sir. Did mine...and I tend to be..angry. Definitely a job where that does no good, it took a good chunk of time,and some crafty maneuvering. worth the money saved? most definitely. As difficult as it was...I would definitely do it again over paying a mechanic...part of that is me being a stubborn Good luck indeed

Geo4 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 deville

Mojo88 I did take your advice and joined alldata 29.99 one year thank you. I printed out the section for Cramshaft cover replacement -right removal procedure. That is what we use to call valve cover ?I use to do this type of work at 20 years old when cars were simple. Now i am 63 and cars isnt simple anymore .Thanks to each and everone of you. We will get it done. George

Mojo88 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2003 White Diamond DeVille 'Base'

Quote Originally Posted by Geo4 View Post
    Mojo88 I did take your advice and joined alldata 29.99 one year thank you. I printed out the section for Cramshaft cover replacement -right removal procedure. That is what we use to call valve cover ?I use to do this type of work at 20 years old when cars were simple. Now i am 63 and cars isnt simple anymore .Thanks to each and everone of you. We will get it done. George

LOL, heya George, I used to be an 'old school' mechanic myself! Owned and operated two full service stations in the 70's. Did a lot of work on the local's muscle cars and hot rods. Had quite a few muscle cars myself. Recently sold my last muscle car ('68 Camaro), into which I had poured over $50k, ouch. I'll never do that again, hahaha.

You should be just fine doing this job yourself. The AllData instructions are very good. Follow them step by step, and just take your time. If you get mad, take a little break (I speak from experience here, haha). You will expose an O2 sensor at about the same time you get the cam cover off. I would highly recommend replacing that O2 sensor, and your spark plugs, while doing this job.

Keep us posted. Dave F.

Ranger is online now Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

They definitely ain't as easy as they used to be to work on. Remember when you could do an overhaul on a Saturday afternoon? Dem Daz is gon.

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger View Post
    They definitely ain't as easy as they used to be to work on. Remember when you could do an overhaul on a Saturday afternoon? Dem Daz is gon.

LOL, well I dunno about a complete overhaul. But I did many complete valve jobs in an afternoon.

I jacked the deville up and found that the underside oil pan frame members was covered in oil. The right cam cover was or look like it was just seeping. So I degrease and washed all the oil off. The transmission and gasket was dry. Then I poured some dye in the oil and going drive it for a bit and then see if the cam gasket the only leak I have. Also I made sure the oil pan bolts were snug and tight. George

big greg is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 dts
    I got a quote of 250 to do both gaskets I would have gladly paid that since it took me 5 hours to do mine on my.06 I couldn't believe how tight it was in there

Quote Originally Posted by big greg View Post
    I got a quote of 250 to do both gaskets I would have gladly paid that since it took me 5 hours to do mine on my.06 I couldn't believe how tight it was in there
    Yeah Greg, you're right, it is tight in there. But even worse than being tight, is the tendency for these to leak. I bought my DeVille about a year ago, and it was a leaker. But before I bought mine, I test drove about four other cars and I could smell burning oil in every single one of them. IMHO, an expensive brand like Cadillac could have done a little better with their engineering efforts to prevent these leaks........

Today I started the valve cover gasket repair, the oil drain plug seems to be leaking a bit also..I started at 11:30 today and at 1 pm I had everthing off except 4 more valve cover bolts had to go to the dr so I stop. need some advice the gasket sealant goes on the valve cover only? then the gasket ?and I shopuld allow the sealant some time to set up or not? and the type of sealant or are they the same ?one thing a person needs small hands not large hands which I have ..any and all advice would be welcome thanks George

----------

going finished it up this evening i hope George

Today I started the valve cover gasket repair, the oil drain plug seems to be leaking a bit also..I started at 11:30 today and at 1 pm I had everthing off except 4 more valve cover bolts had to go to the dr so I stop. need some advice the gasket sealant goes on the valve cover only? then the gasket ?and I shopuld allow the sealant some time to set up or not? and the type of sealant or are they the same ?one thing a person needs small hands not large hands which I have ..any and all advice would be welcome thanks George going finished it up this evening i hope George

I put sealant on both edges (cover and engine). I have had great luck using Permatex sealants for all my engine builds. I used this one (picture copied from Autozone site) for my DeVille valve cover job:

----------

thanks Mojo 88 I will get the sealant you suggested and will put a bead on both the valve and engine and hope to find the back bolt holes ,,george

----------

now the auto parts wants 86.00 for the kit they now comew with spark plug boots and etc I check auto zone ,advance auto ,and Orilley can not buy just the gasket,,,George

thanks Mojo 88 I will get the sealant you suggested and will put a bead on both the valve and engine and hope to find the back bolt holes ,,george

George, I'm sure I don't have to tell you, but the key to good sealant adhesion is to have squeaky clean surfaces before applying any sealant. I always spend a lot of time removing every little bit of old gasket material, and then thoroughly degreasing.

Good luck, Dave

Got the job done. Bolts in the back of the cam gave me a fight to get to them and get them out. So nine bolts out ready to pull the cover, had disconnect all hoses ,and move wiring ou of the way then the most aggravating part of the getting the cam cover out. That took a lot of time clean everthing up,noticed the Cadillac did not use sealant just gasket. Replace the spark plugs put 8 new ones in. Again fight to get the cam cover back on but I did and the job done. To me the hardest part and I guess because of my large hands was getting the bolts out that held the small tube to the manifold. The tightness of the space to remove valve cover was very very tight. Would I do it again yea all it is.is just time, do I want to do this again NO!!!!! this was the right or back cam cover. Gasket kit was 84.00 that was for both with seals for cam cover bolt holes and seals for spark plugs. New AC plugs 64.00 which was needed. Thanks to everone George

Nice work George. Did you end up using sealant (as you note, the factory does not)?

Why dosent the factory use sealant?and the old gasket seem to be in good shape I don't understand why it leak.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.