97 Deville chirping/ squealing from rear valve cover
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Cadillac DeVille 1985 to 2005 including:
1985-1992 Fleetwood, 1993 Sixty Special, All FWD Forum Discussion, 97 Deville chirping/ squealing from rear valve cover in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Hello everyone, First post here. I just want to say these boards seem to be full of great people with ...
    accidentalcaddy is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 97 deville

97 Deville chirping/ squealing from rear valve cover

Hello everyone,
    First post here. I just want to say these boards seem to be full of great people with great info from the lurking ive done recently so thanks.
    I recently picked up a 97 deville with about 65k on it for a great price, but knowing nothing of caddys or of the N.
    I got the car with hard first start issue and low oil pressure light. Changed the oil and oil pressure sender and took care of the low oil pressure message. The hard starting i could live with for a couple weeks until i can get to my buddys shop for further diognosis.
    The issue that has developed in the 20 or so miles ive put on is a chirping in the rear valve cover. It sounds like a metal on metal, bearing sound. i thought it was one of the accesory pullies but i put a hose in the pcv port and its defonitly coming from in there.
    It sounds dry and when i look in the oil fill with it running i dont really see much oil in the front valves. Could i have not really fixed the low oil pressure but somehow made the warning stop?
    My buddy was also talking about cam position sensors or crank position sensors, could cam sensor have this effect?
    Also the car seems to be running very rich , by smell of exhaust.
    Thanks for any help!

Edit: the noise is only a low rpm noise, only noticed it at red light after a couple miles of hwy. say more than 1200 or so and no more noise

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Re: 97 Deville chirping/ squealing from rear valve cover

No, a failed crankshaft (CKP) or camshaft) CMP sensor will not make any noise.

Could i have not really fixed the low oil pressure but somehow made the warning stop?
    No, if you really had low pressure, you'd still get the warning even with a new pressure switch. That said, the sound you describe and the location of it is troubling. You might plumb in a pressure gauge to see what kind of oil pressure you actually have. You could have good pressure, but a clogged oil port to a cam bearing or such. If it's definitely coming from there, you just might have to pull the cam cover an investigate.

Hey ranger, thanks for the reply.
    I was wondering about that, if the oil pressure sensor was pressure to the top of the motor as well. it makes sense since the oil that came out had been re-refined back to its crude form. I saw some mention of overfilling the oil and juicing it a little to clear some clogges, would that apply to this situation? I was hoping to just be worring about the starting issue since its a 100 miles to my friends shop. dont know if i would want to drive like that with unlubed cam.
    I am pretty sure the noise is from the cam and louder on the passenger side of the motor. no noticable noise on the driver side without the scope, and very faint with it.
    Any bandaid procedure to help me make the trek south without destroying the cam to the fully equiped shop with the buddy who will help, (do) it for parts and beer? Not to mention i hoping to not have to lay out in the snow again so soon
    I havent looked into clogged oil ports at all as of yet but if that is the case can it be repaired from under the cover, or is that just for a look see and deeper digging would be required for repairs?

Thanks for pointing me in a new direction for some learning.

MoistCabbage is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    If the noise IS from an insufficiently lubed engine component, it's already too late. Are you positive the noise isn't from a pulley? Try relieving the tension from the main accessory drive belt with the engine running, and see if the noise stops.

steelybill is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '85 Fleetwood FWD

Maybe a dry rocker arm ?

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, stick on fender vents
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

His engine has no rocker arms. It's a DOHC (Double OverHead Cam) engine in which the cams act directly on the valve stem tips through a hydraulic bucket cam follower. In 2000 the engine was redesigned to use roller cams acting through top hat cam followers using static hydraulic lash adjusters.

hey guys,
    Im going to try running it without the belt spinning to see what happens.

Without WHAT belt spinning ????

Remove the water pump drive belt and you have a very short time between start and overheat. Remove the main accessory drive belt and, of course, no P/S/, alternator, or A/C drive.

Cold, you'll easily be OK for a 30 second test.

Quote Originally Posted by accidentalcaddy View Post
    Hey ranger, thanks for the reply.
    I was wondering about that, if the oil pressure sensor was pressure to the top of the motor as well. it makes sense since the oil that came out had been re-refined back to its crude form. I saw some mention of overfilling the oil and juicing it a little to clear some clogges, would that apply to this situation?
    No. The oil pressure switch operates on "system" pressure, not just bottom or top. That procedure is to free a stuck check valve in the oil pump. If that was your problem, you'd have NO oil pressure at start up and an oil pressure warning light no matter how many times you changed the oil pressure switch.

Quote Originally Posted by Submariner409 View Post
    Without WHAT belt spinning ????
    I think he is talking about the serpentine belt Jim (based on his description of the location) as suggested by MC in post #4.

FWIW, An engine oil supply system is designed as a controlled bleed hydraulic system: oil pressure is identical throughout the system and pressure is what moves oil; flow is what lubricates and cools - both pressure and flow are ultimately determined by mechanical tolerances. NO oil is "refined" in an engine; it does its lube and cooling work, drops back to the pan, in itself cooled back to ~200 degrees, then off it goes to again work. "round and 'round, all the while slowly losing its additive package and picking up soot and microscopic dirt - it eventually becomes contaminated and must be changed. Driving habits and engine condition control the change interval.

Hey sub, I was just meaning that the look of the oil was horrible, like it reverted.
    So i pulled on the tensioner and ran the car with the belt loose and the noise didnt stop or change. Im going to have to get an oil pressure gauge and see what its doing exactly. Say the oil pressure is good but not making it to the top of the motor, what is the fix to get oil to the valves/cam. Im sure there are lots of things under there to make this noise.
    Is everything up there, cam, bearings, timing, ect all oil lubricated?
    IM just askingfor the knowledge because im not able to get to or repair any of this here. I still need to get it to my buddies garage for any real work to be done.
    Thanks

Looks like you can rule out all the pulley bearings.

Quote Originally Posted by accidentalcaddy View Post
    Say the oil pressure is good but not making it to the top of the motor, what is the fix to get oil to the valves/cam.
    All depends on what and where the blockage is

Is everything up there, cam, bearings, timing, ect all oil lubricated?
    Yes.

so,,, the million dollar question,,, should i try a detergent like sea foam to try to remove some of the sludge that i guarantee is in the motor based on the old oil and filter. Whether thats my problem or not could it hurt?
    Other than that it pretty much is what it is for a couple weeks.
    On a better note i did a block test with the blue fluid and got no yellow. it went almost clear but not yellow so atleast theres that

There is no sludge in the engine. Remove the oil filler cap and, using a good flashlight, look down into the chaincase and back a bit into the valve area of the left (front) head. See any "sludge" ? Stay completely away from snake oil. Read your owner's manual for Cadillac's guidance on using oil or fuel additives. Looking into the rear cam cover through the PCV port will get you nowhere: The area is completely baffled so there would be (should be) NO oil sloshing around in the port - if there was, Mobil doesn't make enough oil to keep the level correct. You want to see oil fly around, remove the oil filler cap with the engine running. If the noise persists, you may have to pull the right (rear) cam cover and remove the cams in order to inspect the 16 cam followers in that head. If one of those has lost its face hardening, the cam lobe wears away the metal and eventually the follower collapses and pops off the valve stem tip. Expensive work - and that cam cover and cam removal is NOT for the novice - it's microsurgery with special tools.

IF there was a blocked oil supply passage to the head(s) you would hear a LOT more mayhem than a chirp or squeal. More like a small iron foundry making horseshoes. A blocked oil supply passage means engine teardown and overhaul, cleaning out the entire oil system with a set of bristle brushes specifically made for that purpose. Just about any engine parts catalog.

Hi sub,
    I meant sludged oil supply. When i look in the oil fill i dont see any oil splashing, just slightly wet looking cam that makes me worry a bit. Dry enough that i wonder if its just from when i put oil in. I wouldnt say it sounds like a foundry, more of a bad bearing sound, metal on metal. loud enough to make me worry about driving it. It has to make a 100 mile trek in a couple weeks and its bad enough to me, that im worried about making it. ostriches chirp also i suppose, My chirp might be your foundry??? I dont know.
    Is it expensive work because of the parts cost or more because of the labor?
    you wont find this novice digging too deep into a motor but i got a guy

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.