GAS MiLAGE
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac DeVille 1985 to 2005 including:
1985-1992 Fleetwood, 1993 Sixty Special, All FWD Forum Discussion, GAS MiLAGE in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Doe's ANYONE here know how I can incress the gas milage for my 2001 Cadillac DeVille DHS ??? Last week ...
    cpri287972 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1997 Eldorado AND 2001 DeVille DHS

Talking GAS MiLAGE

Doe's ANYONE here know how I can incress the gas milage for my 2001 Cadillac DeVille DHS ???
    Last week I went on a little trip that was 320 mile's ( round trip ). And I used about 10 gal's of gas And ( if I am doing this right ) comes out to about 20 miles to the gal. ( the owners manual says that I should get around 27 miles per, gal. )..
    Now I do understand that I need to lighten up with my foot ( because I ran MOST of the way at about 75 miles an hour ) and at lest once or twice I was up to 85 and 95 miles per hour.
    You see even to the fact that I do also own a 1997 Cadillac Eldorado ( it is A LOT smaller then my DeVille. The DeVille is the FRIST really big car that I have ever owened. All that I have ever had was small cars and hot rods that I only drove on week ends, And I drive the old school way when I am on trips ( been driving for over 42 years ), AND that is when you see a big reg truck ( especially at night ) running fast, What you do is to tuck in behind him as close as you can ( at a safe distance [of corse] ) AND you MUST watch his tail lights because if you see them come on he is not slowing down for nothing, And you can run just as fast as he is, And if the police gets anyone it well be the truck ( Because the truck is a lot biger then you ) . BUT REMEMBER THIS "DON'T" DO THIS ON MY SAY SO PLEASE !!!!! I have been doing it for a lot of years. And last week on the trip I was able to run like that for at the very lest 65 miles and made up a lot of time ( and wasting a lot of gas I am sure ). BUT anyway the car ran great ( it is A HIGHWAY CAR ).
    BUT I ALSO KNOW THAT I NEED TO CHANGE HOW I DRIVE ( I have found that you CANNOT keep driving like this AND I CANNOT keep taking off from stop lights hard like I am driving a smaller car [ like I am used to] ), That is my FRIST STEP to better gas milage !!!
    BUT what I need to know is there ANY other way that I can get better gas milage with this big car ( are there any parts that I can change that well help )??????????? I THANK YOU FOR ANY HELP THAT ANY OF YOU CAN GIVE ME THANKS VERY MUCH my friends. PLEASE help ASAP: THANKS
    cpri287972

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

BeelzeBob is offline I'm a Cadillac Fanatic!

Re: GAS MiLAGE

Quote Originally Posted by cpri287972

Last week I went on a little trip that was 320 mile's ( round trip ). And I used about 10 gal's of gas And ( if I am doing this right ) comes out to about 20 miles to the gal. ( the owners manual says that I should get around 27 miles per, gal. )..

cpri287972

There must be a typo here or something. 320 miles on 10 gallons is 32 miles per gallon not 20. Did you mean you used 16 gallons of gas to get 20 miles per gallon.??

There is no simple thing to do to get better fuel economy. In aggressive, higher speed driving with a car that big and heavy 20 is not unreasonable at all...and not that bad considering....

The easiest thing to do is to run as much air pressure in the tires as you feel comfortable with the ride quality. Running the tires at 36 to 40 PSI will increase the fuel economy by reducing rolling resistence.

Take all the unnecessary junk out of the trunk. Hauling around 200 or 300 pounds of gear all the time like some do cuts into the gas mileage.

Slow down as much as is reasonable for your driving style. Speed costs money.....and that is true for fuel economy, too. Rapid accelerations also hurt economy tremendously. Ever hear of F=MA Accelerating a heavy Mass takes a lot of Force....which requires more gas to generate that force.

Otherwise, the engine and trans cal is already set up for maximum economy so there is precious little to nothing to go after there.

SHERIFF is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): DTS

My DTS is one of the best large cars I have ever had on gas. I am getting 17 mpg around town, and about 32 to 36 on the highway. I very seldom speed or drive aggressively. As a matter of fact I take pride in holding traffic back to a maximum of 5 to 7 mph over any posted speed limit on a single lane road. The ones that want to go 25 mph over the limit are up sheet's creek without a paddle. So this probably helps my mileage too.

Talking Re: GAS MiLAGE

bbob
    NO it is not a typo, I know that it was 10 Gal's because that is what I put in the car when I lift home ( the car was on about 3/4 a tank and that is what it took to fill it up ).. AND before I lift home I had to find were I was going on MapQuest and the map that I printed out said that it was 159.6 miles EACH WAY to were I was going. So something is wrong am I right ?? 32 miles to a Gal is a lot ( for the way that I was driving ), ( BUT don't get me wrong, when I was opening it up I DID NOT just stomp on it, What I did was ease on it untell I was up to speed and was sticking to the back of that truck like glue ). A friend of mine said that by being behind that truck like that was saving me a lot of gas because I was no longer pushing any air ( WHO KNOWS ).
    Anyway I was just wondering if any of the K/N type air filters ever worked for any of you guys??
    And THANKS AGIN FOR YOU HELP.!!

IWantACaddySoBad is offline Cadillac Owners Member

I had a K&N in my VR6 before I put the full Cold air Intake on, and it did make a difference albeit a small difference. The best things to do for mileage are:

1.) make sure injectors are clean (use gas treatment every 6 months)
    2.) lighten your load (get all that crap out of your car that you don't need)
    3.) scheduled tune ups
    and most importantly
    4.) Easy with your foot. The further that pedal goes down the more gas you're throwing into the motor, the worst mileage you are going to get.

BeelzeBob is offline I'm a Cadillac Fanatic!

Quote Originally Posted by cpri287972
    bbob
    NO it is not a typo, I know that it was 10 Gal's because that is what I put in the car when I lift home ( the car was on about 3/4 a tank and that is what it took to fill it up ).. AND before I lift home I had to find were I was going on MapQuest and the map that I printed out said that it was 159.6 miles EACH WAY to were I was going. So something is wrong am I right ?? 32 miles to a Gal is a lot ( for the way that I was driving ), ( BUT don't get me wrong, when I was opening it up I DID NOT just stomp on it, What I did was ease on it untell I was up to speed and was sticking to the back of that truck like glue ). A friend of mine said that by being behind that truck like that was saving me a lot of gas because I was no longer pushing any air ( WHO KNOWS ).
    Anyway I was just wondering if any of the K/N type air filters ever worked for any of you guys??
    And THANKS AGIN FOR YOU HELP.!!

Yea, drafting behind a truck is a great way to improve fuel economy. Pisses the truck driver off and is not very safe but it will improve fuel economy.

If you are getting 32 MPG why are you complaining...????

A K&N filter will not improve fuel economy and is a waste of money. Search using "K&N filter" and read my previous posts on why they cannot improve fuel economy.

Talking Re: GAS MiLAGE

ok GUY'S, YOU HAVE PUT ME IN MY PLACE !!!!
    And your right and I know it ( I NEED TO SLOW DOWN.), This is my frist big car and I am used to driving Hot Rods and race cars all the time. Mabey I need to tape a big sponge or spring under my gas peddle LOL LOL !!!
    JUST KIDDING GUYS.
    Anyway I REALLY do get the point. And was just checking before buying a KN filter ( because I got a lot more gas milage and power useing one in my small block super charged Chv. ). BUT a Cadillac and a Super charged Chv. are not the same thing are they ??
    Anyway THANKS AGIN for you input. Take care my friends

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.