98 Oil Leak Repair
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By MoistCabbage
  • 2 Post By Ranger
Cadillac DeVille 1985 to 2005 including:
1985-1992 Fleetwood, 1993 Sixty Special, All FWD Forum Discussion, 98 Oil Leak Repair in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Hi there, my mechanic Who I trust dearly says the only way to repair the oil leak that the northstar ...
    Mj2
    Mj2 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1998 Cadillac Deville D'Elegance

98 Oil Leak Repair

Hi there, my mechanic Who I trust dearly says the only way to repair the oil leak that the northstar is known for is to take the ENTIRE engine out and repair it frm the inside... Is this the only way...and is it really even necessary to git it fixed, the car gives me NO problems.. thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Slipgate is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1998 Deville

Re: 98 Oil Leak Repair

"necessary to git it fixed" depends on how much it leaks. If it covers you whole garage floor, it should probably be fixed. If it is a few drops leaking maybe a quart a month, just live with it and fill it when the DIC says the oil is low.

MoistCabbage is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    Where's it leaking from?

Oil pressure switch and oil filter adapter leaks are fairly common, and cheap and easy to fix.

Cam cover leaks are a bit less common. And more difficult/expensive to repair. It's usually a small leak though.

An oil pan or half case seal leak requires engine removal (or for the engine to be supported from above, and the cradle dropped out from under it). BIG jobs. Fortunately, those seals tend not to do much more than weep, or leak very slowly. And you can buy a LOT of oil for what it would cost to repair.

----------

Quote Originally Posted by Slipgate
    just live with it and fill it when the DIC says the oil is low.
    WRONG!!!
    NEVER wait for a car to give you a warning light/message, instead of doing a simple fluid check every week, or every fill up.

Use your DIPSTICK to check your oil level, maintain it at half way up the hash marks on the stick (xxxxxXxxxxx).

.....By the time the CHECK OIL LEVEL warning appears on the DIC, you're already ~2 quarts low, no oil visible on the dipstick. Not something that will cause immediate engine damage to a Northstar during "normal" use, considering their large oil capacity, but NOT good practice.

basscatt is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 89 Coupe DeVille, 95 Sedan DeVille, 03 SLS, two 02 DHS's

MoistCabbage is right on the money -

the only thing I would add is the other two possible leaks caused by the
    front and or rear main seals - neither of these are cheap or easy to replace -

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, chrome it
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Quote Originally Posted by Mj2 View Post
    the only way to repair the oil leak that the northstar is known for............
    And what/where is that leak ? Just as with any other automobile engine, a Northstar can leak/weep oil from a LOT of places.

NEVER, EVER wait for the car to cry "Help !!" Perform your weekly underhood fluids and condition checks faithfully. YOU catch the problem before the car tells you ......

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

I would not condemn slipgate for that recommendation. It certainly is good practice to check the oil on a regular basis, but 2 qts low on a Northstar (with a 7.5 qt capacity) is certainly nothing to be too concerned about.

I would agree that you need to know where the leak is coming from though. As mentioned above, there are several simple possibilities.
    Slipgate and Slipgate like this.

yellow1 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Just replaced my oil pressure sending unit. Was unsure where my oil leak was coming from and was sure it would require engine removal and a 3000 dollar bill. Put it up on jack stands started it up and like magic the oil pressure sending unit started to drip. Not easy to get to but in about a half an hour and a few choice words I had it replaced. Cost 13 bucks and my oil leak was fixed.

Slipgate is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1998 Deville

LOL - Yeah I figured this would get some feathers ruffled! But I maintain for the average (lazy?) driver like myself, this is fine and won't do any damage at all to the engine. I used to check oil religiously on a weekly basis with past cars, but as I age, I find I really don't care to do this anymore. And I really don't think a quart or two low on this engine will make any noticeable difference at all. Higher capacity engines typically have more oil to keep bottom end parts lubricated during extended high speed driving when oil tends to collect in the top of the engine. With the way this car is geared, I don't think you'd ever get to this state unless you drive like 90mph plus all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by MoistCabbage View Post
    Where's it leaking from?

Oil pressure switch and oil filter adapter leaks are fairly common, and cheap and easy to fix.

Cam cover leaks are a bit less common. And more difficult/expensive to repair. It's usually a small leak though.

An oil pan or half case seal leak requires engine removal (or for the engine to be supported from above, and the cradle dropped out from under it). BIG jobs. Fortunately, those seals tend not to do much more than weep, or leak very slowly. And you can buy a LOT of oil for what it would cost to repair.

----------

WRONG!!!
    NEVER wait for a car to give you a warning light/message, instead of doing a simple fluid check every week, or every fill up.

Use your DIPSTICK to check your oil level, maintain it at half way up the hash marks on the stick (xxxxxXxxxxx).

.....By the time the CHECK OIL LEVEL warning appears on the DIC, you're already ~2 quarts low, no oil visible on the dipstick. Not something that will cause immediate engine damage to a Northstar during "normal" use, considering their large oil capacity, but NOT good practice.

Just to muddy the water remember that oil, and its quantity/flow, cools every piece of rotating/rubbing machinery inside an engine. Running a Northstar 2 quarts low is sort of equivalent to running your coolant 28% low.

Mj2
    Mj2 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1998 Cadillac Deville D'Elegance
    Well I git a few drops on the ground but I usually have add oil maybe half a quart every two weeks if I do slot of driving, but I Jus don't want my engine to lock up on me like my mechanic says it will one day....by the way it $2500 to get fixed

What gives you, or your "mechanic", the idea that the engine will lock up one day ?

A few drips a week is a far cry from total oil loss at 60.

At what level on the dipstick are you adding a half quart ?? Trying to keep a Northstar full to the top of the dipstick hashmark only leads to excessive oil consumption: Read the oil articles up ^^^ in the black bar - Cadillac Technical Archive.

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Your mechanic said it will lock up one day because of a rear main oil leak?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.