winter 'heaters' (block, pan, battery) in an 05 deville
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac DeVille 1985 to 2005 including:
1985-1992 Fleetwood, 1993 Sixty Special, All FWD Forum Discussion, winter 'heaters' (block, pan, battery) in an 05 deville in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Winter is on the horizon, I read the 4.6 has an option to get 2 calrod heaters that bolt onto ...
    oldmanlesabre is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 Deville

winter 'heaters' (block, pan, battery) in an 05 deville

Winter is on the horizon, I read the 4.6 has an option to get 2 calrod heaters that bolt onto the block? correct me if that is wrong. I unfortunately do not have a garage...sad indeed, and now that I have a work truck the deville ends up sitting for a good week without use until I have days off...so I am thinking some type of heater to keep the block warm and possibly the battery may be a good option, I have heard a lot of people say its unnecessary with more modern cars but I want at least something. it gets cold where I am at. -40F cold, add the wind to it and it can get a lot worse. One of my main concerns is leaving the battery sit in the cold for so long, I do realize its inside the vehicle, which helps a bit, but does anyone have thoughts or ideas on a battery pad heater inside the vehicle? where to run the cable to. I just don't like the thought of leaving a battery in such conditions for extended periods of time, and I have always enjoyed having a block heater as more of a convenience. as far as electrical consumption is concerned...Its included in the rent, but a garage isnt an option....so I could care less what the usage is there. Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

MoistCabbage is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    At those temps, I'd definitely be using a block heater. Necessary? No. But oil THAT cold is pretty heavy, and you'd get heat a good deal sooner.

The location of the battery has no bearing on it's temperature while a vehicle is not in use. After several hours of sitting, the WHOLE car, and everything in it, is at ambient temp. If the car's going to be sitting for a while on a regular basis, especially at those temps, you may want to consider a float/maintenance charger. I believe both Battery Tender and CTEK offer a model that can be mounted in the car. Then, much like a block heater, you just run an extension cord to the car.

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, chrome it
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Re: winter 'heaters' (block, pan, battery) in an 05 deville

You can easily add to your electric bill ! Yes, the block heater for the Northstar is 2 elements, lower sides of the block, that "Y" into a single electric plug that you can hang out the grille. With a bit of wiring you could do a battery warmer, but a "battery minder" (smart charger/maintainer) will also keep the battery fully charged in the bargain.

I believe that GM will also allow you to run 0W-30 oils under those conditions - that would remove some of the battery cranking load.

One of our long-time members, dkozloski, lives in Fairbanks, AK and drives an AWD STS in some horrible conditions - he knows all about this stuff.

cool thanks for the info, guessing chris from rippy can help me get the block heater? As far as a battery minder goes...I assume that by keeping it charged it keeps it from freezing? had to pull a frozen battery out of a work vehicle that sat for a week at my previous job...don't want a ball of a battery waiting to pop under my backseat or anywhere for that matter! suggestions on brands or what type of battery minder I should look for?

^^^ Done. "Fuel spraying from this ???"

Quote Originally Posted by oldmanlesabre View Post
    cool thanks for the info, guessing chris from rippy can help me get the block heater? As far as a battery minder goes...I assume that by keeping it charged it keeps it from freezing? had to pull a frozen battery out of a work vehicle that sat for a week at my previous job...don't want a ball of a battery waiting to pop under my backseat or anywhere for that matter! suggestions on brands or what type of battery minder I should look for?
    Depending on where you are, marine stores carry battery minders, or you can go into the Xantrex site and study. Guest makes them also. Many auto parts stores carry them.

A charged battery will not freeze; in a discharged battery the electrolyte is almost pure distilled water so it will freeze (the sulfuric acid in the electrolyte is deposited on the plates as lead sulfate, so that leaves water. Charging/maintaining keeps the electrolyte as a sulfuric acid mixture and it will not freeze.)

CadillacLuke24 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Alexandra - 96 SDV

FWIW, I've had -24F cold starts with 10W-30, on a 15 year old battery to boot, and it will take 7 craks to get going, but she'll come to life. I let 'er sit until she hits normal idle, and then I'm off!

JimD is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '98 STS (RIP @ 206,xxx miles)

Quote Originally Posted by oldmanlesabre View Post
    ....and now that I have a work truck the deville ends up sitting for a good week without use until I have days off...
    That inactivity might be a game-changer in your case.

I have the experience of seven consecutive winters at higher latitudes where the day time high temperatures would only reach the -10 F to -20 F range. Brutal. And that was in the 1950s and 1960s with primitive 6 Volt electrical systems and single viscosity motor oils. Never used a block heater.

Keeping the battery warm was the key. I used a trouble light with a 60 Watt bulb and the light guard in contact with the battery case.

....add the wind to it and it can get a lot worse.
    Inanimate objects are not affected by wind chill.

yeah I put my first car through hell in the winter...finally put a block heater in it and wished I would have just done it to begin with, It will start...but 8+ days sitting in -20F or worse, I would rather just know I am being a little nicer to this vehicle and not have to deal with it not wanting to start, needing a new battery, etc. my car used to never sit longer than about 6 hours without being fired up and ran so I didn't have to worry. Have been considering the mobil 1 0w-30, as I already like the 5w-30 I have been using from them. Its GM approved, so I might have to give that a shot as it gets colder. 15 year old battery though?!? props for keeping one that long. I tend to be impatient.

CadillacLuke24 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Alexandra - 96 SDV

LOL I used it as long as it would crank. One summer after a car wash, she wouldn't turn over. Got a new Diehard.

rodnok01 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 98 DeVille, 97 DeVille d'Elegance

Personally I like the coolant heaters that go inline, they heat everything and the cars heat is good to go also. Not sure how much room in your deville to put one. I ran a battery tender for a long time and can tell you they are good. I made a custom extension cable so I could keep the tender inside the garage and was easy to hook up.

The reason that the Northstar uses the Calrod elements bolted to the block is due to the unique cooling system layout - tank and convection engine coolant heaters won't work, and the alternative, a "freeze plug" heater, won't work because the lower sides of the block have no ..... freeze plugs.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.