How to reset the"change oil" message
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 2 Post By Submariner409
Cadillac DeVille 1985 to 2005 including:
1985-1992 Fleetwood, 1993 Sixty Special, All FWD Forum Discussion, How to reset the"change oil" message in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I cant get the dic to pop up and ive tried pressi.g the gas pedal three times and it didnt ...
    Kenny-G is offline Cadillac Owners Member

How to reset the"change oil" message

I cant get the dic to pop up and ive tried pressi.g the gas pedal three times and it didnt work

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

00 Deville is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 02 Deville / 04 Deville

Re: How to reset the"change oil" message

You might want to update your profile with what year and model you are talking about.

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, slap in a big stereo
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Quote Originally Posted by Kenny-G View Post
    I cant get the dic to pop up and ive tried pressi.g the gas pedal three times and it didnt work
    Update your profile with your car, year, model and your approximate location. We don't know if you have a Jaguar or a Jeep !

MoistCabbage is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)

'00 DHS? Scroll through the DIC display readouts until OLM percentage is displayed. Then hold in the reset button until it reads 100%.

You can also reset it by displaying OLM percentage with the key on, engine off, and then pressing the accelerator down 3 times.

When you're done, read your owners manual, twice. .

houg is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): deville

and change ur oil, u should never let it get to the point were it tells u to change it, i change mine when,s there,s still 60% left, around 3k,s worth of driving, i dont understand why people go by that thing and let there oil go for 8k or more

Quote Originally Posted by houg View Post
    and change ur oil, u should never let it get to the point were it tells u to change it, i change mine when,s there,s still 60% left, around 3k,s worth of driving, i dont understand why people go by that thing and let there oil go for 8k or more
    3,000 mile oil changes are dinosaurs. With today's oils and their additive packages you can safely (with large margin) use the OLM in your particular Cadilllac model. You might want to study the OLM article in the Cadillac Technical Archive up ^^^ in the top black bar. Your oil change practice is throwing away money. Your 2002 Deville will easily go 10,000 miles between oil/filter changes using a name brand oil in the viscosity range recommended for your engine - 5W-30 or you can use 10W-30 in warm climates (owner's manual).

This is not your car/engine, but.......... because of two trucks I drive the STS about 6,000 - 8,000 miles per year. My engine gets close to 5,000 miles to the quart of oil. Sooooo.......... I change the oil/filter once a year, in March. What drains out is clear dark amber color. And I frequently run the car hard and fast. The OLM is usually at 45% - 55% even at the year's end - so I never get close to the "Change Oil" message but use the GM "once a year or 12,500 miles, whichever occurs first" recommendation in the owner's manual.
    basscatt and basscatt like this.

MoistCabbage is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    And if you don't believe ^^that^^, send your oil in for analysis next time you change it at 60%. The results will surprise you.

houg is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): deville

Quote Originally Posted by Submariner409 View Post
    3,000 mile oil changes are dinosaurs. With today's oils and their additive packages you can safely (with large margin) use the OLM in your particular Cadilllac model. You might want to study the OLM article in the Cadillac Technical Archive up ^^^ in the top black bar. Your oil change practice is throwing away money. Your 2002 Deville will easily go 10,000 miles between oil/filter changes using a name brand oil in the viscosity range recommended for your engine - 5W-30 or you can use 10W-30 in warm climates (owner's manual).

This is not your car/engine, but.......... because of two trucks I drive the STS about 6,000 - 8,000 miles per year. My engine gets close to 5,000 miles to the quart of oil. Sooooo.......... I change the oil/filter once a year, in March. What drains out is clear dark amber color. And I frequently run the car hard and fast. The OLM is usually at 45% - 55% even at the year's end - so I never get close to the "Change Oil" message but use the GM "once a year or 12,500 miles, whichever occurs first" recommendation in the owner's manual.
    and thats with synthetic too, its cheap insurance, especially when i get the oil at no cost to me, filters are free too

creeker is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1992 eldorado. 2007 dodge magnum hemi r/t

I dont understand why the general public is brainwashed into thinking a car requires an oil change at 3 K's, do you think the oil companies are trying to sell more oil?, what a waste, I dont go cheap when it comes to preventative maintenance, buy every 3 K is not needed.

and thats with synthetic too, its cheap insurance, especially when i get the oil at no cost to me, filters are free too
    That has absolutely no relation to your opinion and practice stated in Post #5.

Because several of us in the marine business buy oil and fluids in large bulk, and it's quite a bit cheaper that way, still does NOT mean we waste oil and dump it down the drain unnecessarily.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.