2005 Deville DTS Purchase Advice/Help... - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree2Likes
Cadillac DeVille 1985 to 2005 including:
1985-1992 Fleetwood, 1993 Sixty Special, All FWD Forum Discussion, 2005 Deville DTS Purchase Advice/Help... in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; frank - here's the deal - the 2005 DTS sold for around $55K+ new - and just might be the ...
    basscatt is online now Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 89 Coupe DeVille, 95 Sedan DeVille, 03 SLS, two 02 DHS's

Re: 2005 Deville DTS Purchase Advice/Help...

frank - here's the deal -

the 2005 DTS sold for around $55K+ new -
    and just might be the ULTIMATE PERSONAL LUXURY CAR EVER MADE -

Cadillac Deville series had 3 models in '05 -
    the BASE model -
    the DHS -
    and the DTS -

the BASE and DHS models shared the same motor/trans - and suspension system -
    the interiors were somewhat similar - without console and bucket seats -

the motor is the 275HP VIN "Y" version -
    and the trans has the "economy" 3.11 gear ratio -

the suspension is a "passive" non-electronic system -
    with Electronic Level Control in the rear - ALL Cadillac cars has ELC -
    it's just a fancy name for automatic leveling air-assist shocks -
    -----------
    the Deville High luxury Sedan - and Deville Touring Sedan shared some stuff also -
    both DHS and DTS models got the analog dash - BOSE stereo system -
    and some other stuff that was optional on the BASE model - was standard on the DHS and DTS -
    ----------------------
    the DTS was unique - bucket seats and center console -
    300HP VIN "9" motor and the trans has a 377 gear ratio -
    but the biggest difference is the "ACTIVE" electronic suspension - and 17" wheels -

the suspension system has a gazillion sensors all feeding information to a computer -
    the computer is constantly adjusting the front struts and rear shocks -
    between fairly soft to VERY firm - and is does this hundreds - or thousands of times per second -
    to give you the best possible handling - but the DTS also rides firmer than the other models -

with all that said - 99.99% of the DTS owners would NEVER drive the car in such a manor
    as to take advantage of the ACTIVE suspension -
    picture yourself - or better yet - your parents -
    driving on a winding mountain road - at 60MPH when 30MPH is the posted safe max speed -

the down side of the ACTIVE suspension is that ALL THE PARTS ARE VERY EXPENSIVE -
    the good thing about being a DEVILLE - you can replace the expensive ACTIVE suspension parts -
    with the much less expensive PASSIVE suspension parts -
    and 99.99% of the DTS owners wouldn't know the difference -
    ---------------------------------

you have probably read/heard about the head gasket problem suffered by the Northstar motor -
    Cadillac partially fixed the problem in 2000 with longer bolts -
    and it seems that going to a much coarser thread in late 2004 has solved the problem -
    so you shouldn't have that hanging over your head -

-----------------------------

88K miles is getting to the point where some maintenance/repairs will be needed -
    the biggest expense is the suspension system - which I already discussed -

belts - hoses - brake pads - spark plugs - all of which are DIY projects -

still got doubts? - check for Diagnostic Trouble Codes - if you don't know how -
    go here - read the entire post - if there are any codes - post them -
    ALONG WITH THEIR DEFINITIONS -
    http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...odes-dtcs.html
    ---------------------

if the body is straight - no dents - no rust -
    and the interior is still in good condition -
    $5000 is WAY below street value for a DTS with 88K miles -

you could drive the car for a year and still get $5K for it -

do you like the exterior and interior colors?
    that's the only thing that would hold ME back on this deal -

in fact - if you don't want the car - let me know -
    I just might be interested in it for $5K -

what color is it?

FrankB2 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 Cadillac Deville DTS

The exterior is all black, and the interior is light tan/biege. The car is in mint condition, so the idea of buying it and selling it later has been a big factor. I'll likely pick it up (for the second time ) tomorrow morning. This time I'll give them the cash and get the title. There aren't any signs of head gasket issues, but I rented one of those coolant sniffers from autozone. I had to drive across town to get the fluid, and decided it wasn't worth bothering with. I've read the later 2004 and all 2005 models had the head gasket problem resolved, but some have stated Dex-Cool was part of the problem. It's due for a coolant change (and oil, plugs, air filter, serpentine belt, and maybe trans fluid flush), so I'll have to look into which coolant would be best. The mats were thrown in the trash when I detailed the car on Wednesday, so I'll have to get something nice to replace them.

Honestly, one of the biggest sticking points was the Nav/DVD unit. I got used to Bluetooth stereo, a USB port for flash drive tunes, and an aux input all on a $99 JVC HU I bought for my Jeep a few months ago. It makes the Deville's HU look WAY outdated. I've seen a diagram for attaching an mp3 player to the NAV/DVD player on this site, so I'll have to dig that up again. CD's are going the way of the dinosaurs with 32GB flash drives.....

mike5514 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 97sls,06dts

2005 DTS with 88000 mi. from your parents. Great deal! Mike

CadillacLuke24 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Alexandra - 96 SDV

Just change the coolant every 2 years and it will be no big deal. HG issues on 05s are almost unheard of. I'd be all over that. That is not bad at all for a one owner, and all maintenance you can do yourself with our help.

Well....By the time I made it over there, it was dark. I gave them the cash, but have to get the title/registration done on Monday. I did rent an engine block testing kit, but forgot my turkey baster. I'll check that in the morning.
    The coolant has to be original: it looks a bit darker than it should, and I know my parents don't do coolant flushes. In fact, they usually lease cars. While they've been leasing Cadillacs since forever, this was the first they actually bought. Their Onstar phone is still connected, so I'll have to figure out the cost of that versus some sort of bluetooth conversion.

My 212,000 mile Jeep passed the block test with flying blue colors. That has been one heck of a vehicle! The inline 6 engine hasn't skipped a beat in the 4 years I've owned it. Let's hope the Deville comes close. I did see a youtube video on Deville window regulator repair last night. The guy did the entire job in 9 minutes 21 seconds, and he was taking time to explain the job! I've done it on my '96 Caprice, and that car has a plastic sheet glued all around the sheet metal, and the door panel clips are a nightmare. The Deville looks like changing a light bulb in comparison.

Luke,
    Your comments will allow me to sleep easy tonight.....SERIOUSLY! Thanks!

P.S. I forgot to thank everybody that posted here once again....THANKS!!!!!!

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, chrome it
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Quote Originally Posted by FrankB2 View Post
    It's due for a coolant change (and oil, plugs, air filter, serpentine belt, and maybe trans fluid flush), so I'll have to look into which coolant would be best. The mats were thrown in the trash when I detailed the car on Wednesday, so I'll have to get something nice to replace them.
    Plugs - 100,000 miles, ACDelco Platinum only.
    Transmission - What does the transmission OLM say ?? If the car has been easily driven (no trailer towing or heavy mountain driving) the fluid is good for one heck of a long time.
    Coolant - GM DEX-COOL, changed every 3 years.
    Mats - look at the Lloyd Ultimat sold by AutoPride, one of our vendors ^^^. Lloyd (no relation) is happy to work with you.

Read the owner's manual - twice, and if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Oil - Whatever floats your boat, 7.5 quarts with filter......... that brings the proper level to the middle X on the dipstick. Transmission is a dry sump unit so there should be NO FLUID on the stick with the engine off. Proper fluid level is checked only with the engine hot, idling in P on a level surface.

Transmission fluid life reading on the dash is 38%. The owner's manuals for this car had never been opened prior to me buying it.

Transmission fluid life reading on the dash is 38%.

are you ABSOLUTELY SURE you are looking at TRANSMISSION fluid - and not OIL -

if it IS TRANS FLUID 38% - you could have a BIG problem - seriously -

unless there is a problem - trans fluid will remain at 99% or 100% -

White Lightning is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2004 Cadillac Deville DTS

I wouldn't worry that much about it, I read somewhere on this forum that cadillac changed the algorithm in 03 or 04 and I happen to believe it. My 04 was 60 something when I got it and I flushed and reset the light and now it reads 80 something after 15000 miles or so. And yes the transmission seems to work just fine.

That's what we've seen. WAY longer bolts and coarser thread pitch on the headbolts-grip the block way better-you are good to go! Now that you have this beauty, go to the technical tips (black bar at the top of the page) and read. Good and fun advice!

Congratulations on your new Cadillac by the way!

This Deal is on HOLD!

The tranny fluid life indicator is reading 38%, but the owner's manual says it can be reset. I'm assuming it follows the odometer, and doesn't monitor fluid quality. I rented an engine block gas tester, and the coolant was nearly to the fill cap. When I told my parents that today, they said the coolant level warning light came on 3 weeks ago, and they had to have a "bunch" of coolant put in! Still didn't have a turkey baster, but I was able to get the tester tube to draw air from the coolant reservoir, and it remained blue. There's no sign of coolant leaking, but I didn't remove the engine's top cover. I called my niece's husband (an Acura mechanic), and he said that maybe the thermostat was stuck closed, and that could have caused the coolant to back up and leak out. This was over the phone, and he didn't look at the car, but he did say that coolant just doesn't disappear for no reason. I let the car warm up for 20 minutes, and there was a good amount of condensation forming on the rear bumper near the exhaust tips. No odor from the exhuast or condensation; air temp 66 degrees Farenheit; 3pm and sunny. With parents like this, who needs used car salesmen? It would have been nice to know about the "bunch" of coolant, and whether or not the gas station added any sort of stop leak. I took my money back, and told them I needed another couple days to have the car looked at.

the coolant reservoir should only be filled to the
    COLD FULL mark - and that's about half way -

the condensation from the exhaust is normal -

YES - the trans fluid reminder is resettable - just like the engine oil -
    but - at least on the '03 and older models - it should be at 99% -
    it only changes if there is a problem -

maybe Cadillac changed that - I don't know for sure -
    the Owners Manual DOES say to change the fluid at 100K miles -
    so that would be about right -

you should pressure test the cooling system -
    you can "rent" a pressure tester for free at chain auto parts stores -
    you probably have a small leak somewhere -

have you checked for trouble codes?

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, chrome it
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Quote Originally Posted by FrankB2 View Post
    The tranny fluid life indicator is reading 38%, but the owner's manual says it can be reset. I'm assuming it follows the odometer, and doesn't monitor fluid quality.
    There's a LOT more to it than that ^^^. Read the Cadillac Technical Archive up ^^^ in the black bar for articles on how the GM OLM algorithms work. (Neither the engine oil nor the transmission OLM monitors oil/fluid "quality".)

As basscatt posted, GM may have changed the transmission OLM after ?? 2003 ?? to ratchet down with mileage - that would do away with ONE question from the paranoid owner who asks "Why does my temperature gauge move and the transmission OLM never does ??"

Check the purge line at the side of the coolant resevoiur.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.