Hard Starting intermittantly
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac DeVille 1985 to 2005 including:
1985-1992 Fleetwood, 1993 Sixty Special, All FWD Forum Discussion, Hard Starting intermittantly in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Hello All, I have a strange one with my new old 96 SDV. Sometimes she starts right up within 2-4 ...
    cookieeater is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 79 DeVille (Sedan), 96 DeVille, 05 DeVille

Hard Starting intermittantly

Hello All,
    I have a strange one with my new old 96 SDV. Sometimes she starts right up within 2-4 revolutions like it should and then sometimes she will crank for about 5 seconds before she fires off. Mostly when the engine is warm is when the hard starting but not always. Today first start of the day was fine, then after work not so much. And always when it does the hard starting routine, the trip odometer resets to zero and the radio goes to a different but always the same station. No codes or warnings at all. Next time it does it I will try cycling the key off and on to prime the rail as I am thinking the fuel press regulator may be bleeding down, but why not all the time. Anybody have any suggestions? Thanks, Kim

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Re: Hard Starting intermittantly

Hard hot start usually point to a leaky FPR. It bleeds down (if that's the problem) every time, BUT on a cold engine, the raw fuel that leaks into the manifold just richens the mixture much like a choke so it does not affect the start (may even help it a tad), BUT when the engine is warm, it's like choking a hot engine and trying to start it. If you are old enough to remember carbs and chokes, you know what I'm talking about. The FPR would not, however explain the odometer and radio problem (if it is related). That might point to an electrical problem, but the FPR is easy enough to rule out.

Thanks Ranger,
    The FPR is exactly what I am thinking, and yes I am an "Old School" mechanic, and know carbs way more than I know EFI. Also worked as a aircraft mechanic for years both Navy and civilian A+P. I am thinking that while the engine is cranking for that long time (relatively speaking) the battery voltage drops enought to reset the trip odometer and radio. Just my thinking. Thanks again, next start I will try and remember to cycle the FP a few times to see if that helps. Kim

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Just pull the vacuum hose off the FPR at idle and look for fuel leaking from the nipple. There should be none. It takes more time to get the beauty cover off than it does to check the FPR. If that checks out OK, then check the fuel pressure. Could be a bad check valve draining back, but I think the system should pressurize very quickly even if that is the case. Could be a weak pump though and only a fuel pressure check will tell that tale.

P.S.
    If the battery is that weak, it's probably on it's last leg and will leave you stranded one day. They just don't give a warning like they did in the old days.

Not had time to check the fuel pressure or FPR yet, but I did notice this am when I started it to go to work that the trip odometer was at 0.0 before I turned the key to start. The radio station stayed where it was before and remained there after I started it. Not a big deal just scratching my head. I will report back on the hard starting/possible FPR problem. Kim

maeng9981 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 14 SRX, 12 Sierra, 00 SLS, 99 Deville 50-year Anniversary

Sounds like a battery issue to me. (Radio and trip)

Follow Ranger's advice on the hard starting issue.

OK Guys,
    I am back. The hard starting problem ended up being a bad cam position sensor, and now that it starts without cranking forever, the electrical problem has gone away, so far. I do get a funny smell after the car starts though, will investigate that sometime soon. Thanks All, Kim

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.