Check engine light on a 95 Deville
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac DeVille 1985 to 2005 including:
1985-1992 Fleetwood, 1993 Sixty Special, All FWD Forum Discussion, Check engine light on a 95 Deville in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; My Check engine light comes on in my 1995 Cadillac sedan Deville 4.9 (not a northstar). This only happens when ...
    rubberbandman is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Check engine light on a 95 Deville

My Check engine light comes on in my 1995 Cadillac sedan Deville 4.9 (not a northstar). This only happens when I am driving for about 15 minutes or more. I pull over and checked all my fluids, and did not hear anything unusual. I checked the codes and everything checks out ok. I recently bought this car about 3 weeks ago and have not had any trouble till a few days ago. If I cut the car off the check engine light goes away till I drive it again for 15-20 minutes. Is this something I should be worried about? I am still worried about taking this car on weekend trips. The only code it had in its memory is p039. (P039 (E039) ..... Torque Coverter Clutch/Viscous Converter Clutch Engagement Problem). Now this is in the history, does this mean it had a problem in the past? Or can someone just clear the codes out to sell the car? I ran a check on all the other codes and everything checked out okay.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

BeelzeBob is offline I'm a Cadillac Fanatic!

Re: Check engine light on a 95 Deville

Use the search feature and type "VCC" or "Viscous converter clutch" or "TCC" or "torque converter clutch" into the drop down box and read my posts.... Most of the info is somewhat generic regarding a 4T60 trans (yours) or a 4T80E (Northstar) so it will explain how the unit works.

It is OK to drive with the code 39...it won't hurt anything. It just means that the torque converter clutch is not engaging.

There are certain driving conditions that have to be met for the onboard diagnostics to check the VCC for operation and to set the code. If you turn the key off and then turn it on to check the diagnostics a code 39 will always revert to history status. Check the diagostics with the engine still running when the light is on.

The code may have been there when you bought the car... Did you check the diagnostics for codes before you bought the car? If not, then the code may have been in history as it would have reverted to history by just turning the key off. If you didn't test drive the car into the conditions that the code would test then it wouldn't have shown up. Impossible to say now.

There are lots of reasons that a code 39 could set. It could be a problem with the brake switch that interlocks the VCC circuit, voltage on the VCC apply circuit, etc.... It really has to be diagnosed thoroughly to determine root cause before saying what could be wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by bbob
    Use the search feature and type "VCC" or "Viscous converter clutch" or "TCC" or "torque converter clutch" into the drop down box and read my posts.... Most of the info is somewhat generic regarding a 4T60 trans (yours) or a 4T80E (Northstar) so it will explain how the unit works.

It is OK to drive with the code 39...it won't hurt anything. It just means that the torque converter clutch is not engaging.

There are certain driving conditions that have to be met for the onboard diagnostics to check the VCC for operation and to set the code. If you turn the key off and then turn it on to check the diagnostics a code 39 will always revert to history status. Check the diagostics with the engine still running when the light is on.

The code may have been there when you bought the car... Did you check the diagnostics for codes before you bought the car? If not, then the code may have been in history as it would have reverted to history by just turning the key off. If you didn't test drive the car into the conditions that the code would test then it wouldn't have shown up. Impossible to say now.

There are lots of reasons that a code 39 could set. It could be a problem with the brake switch that interlocks the VCC circuit, voltage on the VCC apply circuit, etc.... It really has to be diagnosed thoroughly to determine root cause before saying what could be wrong.

I did not check the codes before I bought the car, I didn't know you could check it. This is my first Lac

If this is a problem, how easy is it to fix? Is it gonna cost me an arm and a leg?

BTW, I drive in the city in 3, and the highway in OD. Could this affect it?

Stoneage_Caddy is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Gobi 01 Frontier/Ishi 96 Nighthawk/Gladys 94 Deville I Loved

There is a updated solenoid for the TCC Clutch , unforeutnatly you have to remove the side pan to get at it if memory serves ..no way to do that without removing the tranny ....Im not positive that replemnt of the solenoid will fix the issue either.

I drove mine with the code for 20k ....did just fine ....the trany blew out for other reasons tho ....but it looks like it will be just fine to keep driveing it like that ...

Check to make sure you do not have a vaccum leak at the throttle body for the vac line that goes down to the vaccum modulator , mine went away after i fixed the leak and added a "b&m shift improver" (dont think B&M had anyhting to do with getting rid of the light)

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.