2000 Deville leaking oil FAST
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac DeVille 1985 to 2005 including:
1985-1992 Fleetwood, 1993 Sixty Special, All FWD Forum Discussion, 2000 Deville leaking oil FAST in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I bought this car a few months back. Never had any problems except, what appears to be a miss in ...
    RickeyParks is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2000 Deville

Unhappy 2000 Deville leaking oil FAST

I bought this car a few months back. Never had any problems except, what appears to be a miss in the idle. This morning I took my wife to work, and when I got home I notice a puddle of oil in my driveway. Then I looked underneath the car and it was slowly pouring oil out. When I turn the car off, it stops dripping. It drives fine, but wont if the oil runs out!! It does not leak or drip when the car is off. Just really want a good mindset going into a Repair shop. I don't want to be tested by my money amount. I'm sure the transmission will have to pulled as I've read. Just wondering if anyone knows what seal just gave out? Thanks a lot, Rick.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Re: 2000 Deville leaking oil FAST

Just started doing this TODAY. Yesterday there were no leaks! I moved my car several times and never saw a drop yesterday. But today, when started only, it streams oil out. Hopefully I can get a response soon Im kinda panicking because I don't know any Repair shops by quality of work/rates. Just want to make sure I pinpoint this leak and STOP IT!

bigm57ict is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1995 Sedan DeVille, 1979 Coupe deVille

Approximately where is the oil leaking? Right front? middle? rear?

Think I figured out whats going on....I've been looking at the Oil Life Percentage(%) I assumed there was a tiny leak so decided to add 3 quarts of oil. TOO MUCH OIL, lol. Changing the oil right now. I'll post and let you know. If putting too much oil could bring some hazards, please inform me!! I just put the oil in last night, and drove only 5 miles or so this morning. I drained oil and got an entire oil pan FULL! There is still oil in there as well! Only a quart low! Crossing fingers! Cadillac is the BEST if this isnt a seal!!

My oil life was a 57% when I put the oil in it last night.

MoistCabbage is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    Adding too much oil can cause the crankshaft and connecting rods to come into contact with the oil in the pan, and froth/aerate it. "Oil foam" is not a good lubricant, and the oil pump can't pump it. VERY bad. NEVER add any fluids to your car, without first checking the current level.

Correct oil level is half way up the hash marks on the dipstick (xxxxxXxxxxx), 7.5 quarts from empty with an oil/filter change.

Your Oil Life Monitor has absolutely nothing to do with oil LEVEL. It does exactly what its name implies: monitors the remaining oil LIFE.

I would suggest reading your owners manual, cover to cover, twice. Then go up to the black tab at the top of the page, and click on Cadillac Technical Archives. Read the ENTIRE page, LOTS of good information, including info on the OLM system, and oil consumption.

As asked above, where is the oil dripping onto the ground?

After noticing the puddle, did you at any point check the oil level with the DIPSTICK? Are you sure it was engine oil on the ground?

BTW,

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

As MC said, you are confusing oil life remaining (%) with oil quantity. When you get 2 qts low (about the time the oil drops off the end of the dipstick) you'll get a CHECK OIL LEVEL message. Now that you changed the oil, don't forget to reset the oil life remaining to 100%.

Phewwww! Just too much oil and the filter was pretty loose! Running like a BEAUTY now, just like Cadillac should So relieved! Been running an hour, no DRIPS! Thanks for the advice I will defiantly invest some time in doing so!

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Can't help but wonder where the oil was coming from, unless it was the loose filter.

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, chrome it
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

RickeyP, Call up the oil life (OLM) in your dash and hold down the INFO RESET button for 5 - 7 seconds. The percentage will go to 100%. You can safely drive until it reaches 0 - 10 %, then do an oil/filter change using exactly 7.5 quarts of whatever 5W-30 oil floats your boat.

Here's your dipstick and the proper oil level with 7.5 quarts in the engine:

<=== ADD XXXXXXXXXX OPERATING RANGE ============oo=============================O

As posted, when the level just drops from sight at the tip of the stick the engine is 2 quarts low. If you try to keep the level at the top X you'll see increased oil consumption. Read the entire Cadillac Technical Archive up ^^^ in the top black bar, especially the articles on the OLM, oil consumption, coolant, and "Occasional full throttle operation is good ..................".

If you want more info on your engine and parts, click my username, open the profile; left column, 2 albums, 6 pages of parts and engine stuff for the 2000 and later Northstar.

CadillacLuke24 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Alexandra - 96 SDV

Quote Originally Posted by RickeyParks View Post
    Phewwww! Just too much oil and the filter was pretty loose! Running like a BEAUTY now, just like Cadillac should So relieved! Been running an hour, no DRIPS! Thanks for the advice I will defiantly invest some time in doing so!
    Glad to hear it was an easy fix. When you change the oil, get the filter nice and snug WITH YOUR HAND. That is more than enough. Using a filter wrench will make it a royal PITA to get off next time.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.