'96 DeVille Fuel Economy
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac DeVille 1985 to 2005 including:
1985-1992 Fleetwood, 1993 Sixty Special, All FWD Forum Discussion, '96 DeVille Fuel Economy in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Hi I am a new Cady owner and so far i am loving it. One thing though: fuel economy is ...
    Keli is offline Cadillac Owners Member

'96 DeVille Fuel Economy

Hi I am a new Cady owner and so far i am loving it. One thing though: fuel economy is kindda bad. 12 mpg in city. I changed the o2 sensors and still nothing. Could anyone help me? The engine has only 77k on it.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

rubberbandman is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Re: '96 DeVille Fuel Economy

I have a 95 Deville and I am also getting horrible gas milage. Is this something that just occured? How is your history with gas milage?

Eric2203 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

I have a 96 DeVille and I average 21 to 22 mpg. But don't jump to conclusions. I mostly drive on a highway and a reasonably clear road with no stop lights. As soon I use the car for something else, it drops back down a bit.

That has been the mpg since I bought it. I changed the o2 sensors, had the fuel rail changed, injectors, nothing works. According to Cadillac I should be getting 17 mpg in the city and anywhere between 25-30 on the highway. Instead I am getting 12. Hopefully someone here will know what to do.

cadillacthrills is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1978 Seville

You should be getting around 17city / 22hwy. At 77k your northstar may be due to have its original pugs and wires changed. Be sure to use platinum tip plugs and don't skimp on the wires (if you plan on keeping the car). Replacing the air filter will also help. Do you know if the previous owner used the recommended 90+ octane fuel? Low quality fuel has a dirtying effect on intricate engines like the Northstar. If you are thinking about additives, I have seen improvements with Seafoam in the older 4.9L V8. I have not yet used Seafoam in my Northstar.

Yes the fuel has always been 90+. I`ll ask my mechanic about the plugs and wires. I have always used 90+ gas but a mechanic tld me that car manuals and recommendations are written by company laywers instead of mechanics, so they say used the high octane so they wont be sued. I dont know, but in some level it makes sense.
    Thanks for the tips
    Another thing. Apparently there is a leak in the coolant steel lines that run behind the engine. I can't find that part in the internet. Anybody has any ideas?

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Check the FPR. It is located on the right bank fuel rail (firewall side). With the engine running, pull the vacuum hose off and look for fuel leaking out of the nipple. If there is any fuel leaking replace it. If it is leaking you should also be experiencing hard hot starts.

BTW, the Northstar will run just fine on 87 octane. I have been using it for 2 years now with no effect on fuel milage, I'm averaging 23 MPG (mostly highway). Check the archives, you'll find lots of info on it.

cadillacthrills is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1978 Seville

Quote Originally Posted by Keli
    Another thing. Apparently there is a leak in the coolant steel lines that run behind the engine. I can't find that part in the internet. Anybody has any ideas?
    Don't worry about the coolant leak. The early northstars had them since new. I had to roll my eyes when I read the maintenance tag attached to the radiator shroud cover of a 1996 Concours. It says to add two tablets of stop leak to the lower radiator hose each time the coolant is changed. It says to buy the OEM coolant tablets from cadillac, but you can use Bars Leak from a auto parts store. My Caddy had the same leak and the bars leak fixed it. Try the stop leak. If it doesn't stop the coolant leak try newgmparts.com for replacement parts.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.