'03 Deville Drive train issues
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac DeVille 1985 to 2005 including:
1985-1992 Fleetwood, 1993 Sixty Special, All FWD Forum Discussion, '03 Deville Drive train issues in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I just picked up an '03 Deville and it seems to be making a very odd noise. If I push ...
    mn_vette is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): '03 Deville

'03 Deville Drive train issues

I just picked up an '03 Deville and it seems to be making a very odd noise. If I push the throttle to hard(1/3 or so) it makes 5 or 6 mechanical clangs. It would also do it during shifts a harder throttle. I noticed that there was a bit of a leak from the drivers side cv shaft seal. I pulled the shaft and noticed that the output shaft seems to have a bit of play in it. Would this play cause the odd noise that I'm hearing? Any kind of advice or direction that you guys give me would be greatly appreciated.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Re: '03 Deville Drive train issues

Maybe a loose CAT heat shield?

boricuacaddy is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2010 Cadillac Premium AWD CTS

Hi I had the same exact problem you are describing, mine ended up needing the 3rd clutch bushing replaced. I hope it is not the case on yours, it isn't a cheap repair. Good luck!

David

Quote Originally Posted by boricuacaddy View Post
    Hi I had the same exact problem you are describing, mine ended up needing the 3rd clutch bushing replaced. I hope it is not the case on yours, it isn't a cheap repair. Good luck!

David

Was that the problem with the loud noises or the problem with the loose output shaft. I think I can live with the output shaft leaking for a while, but I know those noises can't be good and I need to get them fixed.

I really don't think it is the heat shield. These noises are pretty loud and you can feel the car studder when it happens.

boricuacaddy is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2010 Cadillac Premium AWD CTS

Mine started with a small leak, and as time went on it got bigger. When I took it to the dealer they showed me how loose the output shaft was. and they diagnosed the problem as being the 3rd clutch bushing. They quoted me around $3700 for the repair. But I ended up taking it to my neighborhood mechanic and they did it for $2100. And by the way mine was not making any noise..

David

Quote Originally Posted by boricuacaddy View Post
    Mine started with a small leak, and as time went on it got bigger. When I took it to the dealer they showed me how loose the output shaft was. and they diagnosed the problem as being the 3rd clutch bushing. They quoted me around $3700 for the repair. But I ended up taking it to my neighborhood mechanic and they did it for $2100. And by the way mine was not making any noise..

David
    Thanks for the info. I'm hoping to diagnose the noise issue before I go ahead and pull the tranny out. The last thing I want to do is to put in all that work and find out that I still have the other issue that could have been fixed for $5 and 5 mintues while the car was apart.

carnut is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1988 Allante' (sold), 1984 Eldorado, 84 Sedan DeVille

Broken motor mount? That would account for the noises on harder accelleration.

ding ding ding we have a winner! Thanks for the advice carnut. I checked the motor mount by break torquing the car and the motor moved ALOT! And about every other time I tried it there would be a clang or something metal adjusting itself. So it looks like I'm off to go find some part numbers and see where I can find a good price on one. Thanks for the input guys.

98eldo32v is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 98 eldo/KD54 w/N37,T96,QA1,D55,DS3,U1Z. U3R next

If you are leaking fluid out of the left side transmission axle seal as boricuacaddy just stated and I can assure you, you'll be replacing the transmission.

There is no point in replacing that motor mount now, when you might as well get it all one time.

If you pull out the left side axle, look at the axle where it goes into the transmission. If there is any wear, scoring or fatigue the bushing is done. The leak will get worse.

Check out post "4t80e woes". I just finished mine.

Good luck.

Well, I replaced the motor mount and, of course, the banging noise is still there. The car is up on jack stands right now with the stands on the engine cradle. And when I break torque the engine with my foot on the brake it makes the noise but I have to push the gas down a ways.

My thought is that the large torque is causing something to slip around and cause the banging noise, but I'm not sure what it could be. Any suggestions?

I can try and look at the other motor mounts. I saw one at the back of the transmission, one off the side fo the transmission mounting to the body in the pass wheel well. Is there a fourth mount for me to look for under the airbox?

carnut is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1988 Allante' (sold), 1984 Eldorado, 84 Sedan DeVille

"brake torque" Brakes break, motor mounts break. engines break. Have someone brake torque the engine while you look for the source. Hopefully you have friends

Quote Originally Posted by carnut View Post
    "brake torque" Brakes break, motor mounts break. engines break. Have someone brake torque the engine while you look for the source. Hopefully you have friends
    I have a wife, that should be close enough.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.