check coolant level light on since changing coolant
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac DeVille 1985 to 2005 including:
1985-1992 Fleetwood, 1993 Sixty Special, All FWD Forum Discussion, check coolant level light on since changing coolant in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; In my 2002 Cad SDV, I changed the coolant and since then the 'check coolant level' light comes on now ...
    mutz is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1996 and 2002 Cadillac SDV

check coolant level light on since changing coolant

In my 2002 Cad SDV, I changed the coolant and since then the 'check coolant level' light comes on now but before changing the coolant it didn't come on. I'm thinking it's an air pocket in the system, but the temperature gauge reads normal, the heater blows hot air like it normally does. The level is down two and one-half inches as per manual, in the overflow tank. I check the return line that runs across the engine is flowing freely. If it's an air pocket how do i get rid of it? Do I need to reset the 'check coolant level' light? While the light was on, I touch the 'info reset' button but it didn't do anything. Any suggestions, thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, install a sound system
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Re: check coolant level light on since changing coolant

An "air pocket" would have nothing to do with the coolant level float and reed switch in the bottom of the coolant reservoir.

Is the connector at the bottom of the reservoir clean and properly "connected" ? There is no way to "clear" the light, but you might fool with jumping across the connector terminals on the wiring harness plug. See if the light goes on/off - it's only a simple on/off reed switch. If the float is "sunk" or stuck down, or the reed switch has failed (unlikely) then you might be in the new reservoir business - Amazon, automotive.

Here's the connector pin-out for a 2002 Seville - probably close to yours.............

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Also the system is self purging, so as long as the purge line is clear, there is no "air pocket".

maeng9981 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 14 SRX, 12 Sierra, 00 SLS, 99 Deville 50-year Anniversary

Your float might be stuck - try gently tapping the reservoir. Happens every time when I drain the coolant in my Seville.

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

You might also try removing the surge tank, fill it with clean water and shack vigorously. If the float is stuck, that may loosen and clean it.

mutz is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1996 and 2002 Cadillac SDV

Thanks for the quick answers, I guess I don't have too much to worry about since it will self purge, pehaps the float is stuck.

PineyJustice is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2001 deville base, 2008 dts

I wouldn't be comfortable bridging the switch because a future low coolant issue would go unnoticed until major overheat occurred.

Isopropyl alcohol or windex would probably be good for unsticking the switch, the idea would be to dissolve any deposits and not leave any residue.
    Just make sure you rinse it out very well after.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.