Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1993 Sedan Deville Overheating? Heater Core?

3K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  brougham 
#1 ·
I have a '93 Sedan Deville that has been running good, but makes the pinging noise like its overheating after I've ran it for about 20 minutes, but the temp light (wish it had guages!!) never comes on. The car has a new water pump, new thermostat, and fresh coolant/anti-freeze. It's been making this sound for several days, but that was the only thing wrong until today. The oil is good; not milky, and there is no white or unusual smoke coming from the exhaust. Today, I drove it a short distance and noticed it was dripping a few drops of coolant out of the floor vents when I started it up, but then it stopped. It also blew steam out of the A/C vents when I first started it up, had a strong odor of coolant inside the car, and it fogged up the windshield out of the defrost vents. I turned on the heat, and it blew cold air. I'm thinking it's the heater core judging from todays symptoms...but would that be causing the pinging noises/overheating?

Any help is appreciated! BTW, yes, the temp light comes on when the key is turned, but goes back off after a few seconds...like it's supposed to.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.