Distributor harness missfire?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac DeVille 1985 to 2005 including:
1985-1992 Fleetwood, 1993 Sixty Special, All FWD Forum Discussion, Distributor harness missfire? in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I have a 87 cadillac deville with ht 4100 and ive had a slight missfire for about the past two ...
    jorge491 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1987 Cadillac Deville

Distributor harness missfire?

I have a 87 cadillac deville with ht 4100 and ive had a slight missfire for about the past two years and i just can figure it out. Ive always replaced everything that is ignition when needed. Everytime i replace my spark plugs and wires, thers a difference that i notice. The car of course gets noticebly smoother and feels just like when i first got it. But the smoothnes only lasts about a week and i notice it goes back to the way it is. And earlier today when replacing distributor cap i looked at the wiring harness going from the distributor into the ignition coil and the wires looked pretty toasted. Also come to find out, i looked under the distributor cap and noticed where the little hole is to let the carbon go through to the rotor, was burned. Its weird to explain but i will post pics later from harness and cap. Anyone ever have any similar problems like this? Input is very much appreciated.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Re: Distributor harness missfire?

Did you replace the rotor with the cap? It's always a good idea to replace both.

No not this time, ive always changed them both together and i still get the same exact result with the slight missfire. The last time i replaced both together was only about 5 months ago and this time i just replaced cap because of the hole burned through it. Im currently still trying to upload pictures.

ETC93 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Eldorado ETC '93 - BLS'06

hole burned through ?
    is the timing of the ignition ok?

carnut is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1988 Allante' (sold), 1984 Eldorado, 84 Sedan DeVille

Did you swap the coil ground strap from the old cap to the new one? Easily overlooked! Burning thru means hi resistance. Caps and rotors usually last 50 to 75,000 miles.

Sorry, coil ground strap? Would that be the piece that you drop in before dropping in the coil? If so, then yes i switched to the new cap.

carnut is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1988 Allante' (sold), 1984 Eldorado, 84 Sedan DeVille

Yes, the grey metal piece that attaches to one of the coil retaining screws. The wiring that comes from the distributor to the cap has a retaining clip, is that OK? not broken?

No its not broken

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.